Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:14 PM

115 posts, read 135,603 times

Advertisements

Yeah, something is up over at greatschools. It used to be a pretty reliable site.

I noticed that Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy was rated a 9 awhile back, and that got me curious because that's a terrible school. There is no way it should be a 9.

Something's fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,844 times
Raleigh Charter High School has a rating of 1.

As previous posters have said, there are notoriously terrible schools with 9 and 10 ratings.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:55 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,616,713 times
Ok, so if we dont know the areas and dont have family and friends to ask, what is a better way to judge the best schools?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Ok, so if we dont know the areas and dont have family and friends to ask, what is a better way to judge the best schools?
This forum is a great place to start.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,599,367 times
Look at multiple sources, not just one rating system. Factual numbers that count for something also are better than an arbitrary rating system.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This forum is a great place to start.
We are renting in NW Raleigh and my sons school is a 10 rated school. The houses here sell in days and everyone says they love it here for the school. To be honest I do not see any other reason to be up here. My husband has been getting more clients in Fuquay, Garner and downtown Raleigh. I am just not knowledgeable enough in the areas to figure out where the good schools are. I know I cannot just rely on Zillows school ratings. Lots of things to consider.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:12 PM

326 posts, read 385,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Other than C-D, I would start with the NC School Report Card, which is a much more comprehensive dataset than what can be found on GreatSchools or SchoolDigger. The NC School Report Card also has detailed explanations about the methodology for how they arrived at the numbers they present. From there it's phone calls to schools, visits to schools, etc. (to whatever extent feasible).

Old 02-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
Other than C-D, I would start with the NC School Report Card, which is a much more comprehensive dataset than what can be found on GreatSchools or SchoolDigger. The NC School Report Card also has detailed explanations about the methodology for how they arrived at the numbers they present. From there it's phone calls to schools, visits to schools, etc. (to whatever extent feasible).
cheers. We just lucked out finding this rental. We were living in FL so we could not visit schools. At the time our son wasnt in school yet. We had a great experience finding him a preschool for a transitional class before kindergarten started. We lucked out but feeling like we need to be further south for work reasons.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,131,889 times
Greatschools is way overrated. According to the site my kids have ended up in very average schools which is absolutely not true. I seriously wonder how many people that rate schools actually have a child that attends the school.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 PM

31 posts, read 47,121 times
I prefer niche.com over greatschools. It gives a lot of different compariosns and has comments and reviews as well. I feel like it gives a more holistic picture and doesn' t only focus on test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary