Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM

86 posts, read 123,650 times

Advertisements

This is a Public Service Announcement (or it should be):

Please turn ON your headlights when the conditions are rainy/bad or when it's starting to get dark. Please turn OFF your highbeams when there are other cars around. They are aimed directly into the faces and rearview mirrors of the other drivers. You don't need your lighs to see where you're going, they are there so that other drivers can see you.

Maybe my eyes are sensitive, but I cannot get over how many people drive around here with their highbeams on or have really bright headlights. My wife's car does have the fancy HID lights, but they're aimed correctly and don't light up anyone's windshield at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Cars have bright headlights these days - a lot of times I think people have their high beams on, when it's very possible they don't. I've had people flash their high beams at me because they think mine are on.

A lot of cars have auto-dimming rearview mirrors now. They are awesome. If your car doesn't have one, you can buy one.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
It's actually the law to have your headlights on if your wipers are on.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Most vehicles have two headlights, one on each side. If one is burned out, replace it. Automobiles should not imitate motorcycles, which have one headlight.

Driving with high beams on is not the wisest idea. I hate to know the statistics of motor vehicle accidents caused by blinding opposing vehicles with high beams or ultra bright lights.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Cars have bright headlights these days - a lot of times I think people have their high beams on, when it's very possible they don't. I've had people flash their high beams at me because they think mine are on.

A lot of cars have auto-dimming rearview mirrors now. They are awesome. If your car doesn't have one, you can buy one.
^

Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
The biggest issue I'm seeing nowadays is people who put HID headlamps into cars that don't have the correct reflectors on them. This is the source of 95% of the complaints about "bright" head lights because what is happening is the non-HID style reflectors disperse the beam pattern more than the HID reflectors. Normally you see this on teenager driven cars but I'm starting to see them on minivans and SUVs as well. It's pretty irritating, and yes it is against the law but there is really no way for cops to know/test unlike most other things (ie tail light out).

Old 02-24-2016, 10:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The biggest issue I'm seeing nowadays is people who put HID headlamps into cars that don't have the correct reflectors on them. This is the source of 95% of the complaints about "bright" head lights because what is happening is the non-HID style reflectors disperse the beam pattern more than the HID reflectors. Normally you see this on teenager driven cars but I'm starting to see them on minivans and SUVs as well. It's pretty irritating, and yes it is against the law but there is really no way for cops to know/test unlike most other things (ie tail light out).
I know! That's what I see a lot, too. It irks the crap out of me. Blinding light!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
It used to be that you could flash a person, they would realize that their high beams were on, and shut them off. Now, it seems like no one cares if you flash them. When that happens, I just leave mine on and roast their eyeballs.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 AM

201 posts, read 190,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
It used to be that you could flash a person, they would realize that their high beams were on, and shut them off. Now, it seems like no one cares if you flash them. When that happens, I just leave mine on and roast their eyeballs.
Most likely their low beams are on so they can't turn them down. It's all the aftermarket crap people are using these days that others mentioned. I see this a lot on pickup trucks and pos cars that have been modified.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:05 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The biggest issue I'm seeing nowadays is people who put HID headlamps into cars that don't have the correct reflectors on them
Yup, I've noticed that too. It's easy to spot when you see an older vehicle with super bright lights.

Another thing, something I've been thinking for a while, when people upgrade their headlamps, I don't think they are calibrating them to point to the road either. I'm not sure if the inspection places have gotten lenient about this because I thought that was one of the checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary