Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 31,805 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest any activities / things to see and do for children (elementary and middle-school aged children) for this coming Thanksgiving weekend in the Wake Forest / North Raleigh area? We are planning on coming down for a long weekend so the kids can take a look at the schools, hopefully talk to some other kids who live here and/or have moved here, let them get a feel for the area.

Two children are ready for a change and are fairly excited about the prospect of moving; one is not quite so enthusiastic. We're hoping that they can get a good feel for what it really would be like to live here (all around, good and bad).

We have appointments already set up at their potential schools on Monday for a quick tour. We are also planning on figuring out which church we'd be likely to be joining and seeing if we can talk to people after mass on Sunday, but we're not sure what else would be good for them to see or do. Talking to kids their own ages would be great, so we'll probably also take a trip to "The Factory" by Heritage since we hear lots of kids go there. Also figuring a trip to one of the malls might be good...

If anyone can suggest anything, that would be great! Thanks much!

- Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
I am a wake forest resident..........the only town sponsored event going on is thanksgiving day:

Gobbler's Run 5K
Thursday, November 23, 8 a.m.
Boys & Girls Club, 325 S. Wingate
Chiropractic Partners is sponsoring the 1st Annual Gobbler's Run 5K with all proceeds benefiting the Boys & Girls Club. Bring your family out Thanksgiving morning to run or walk the course which loops through historic residential and downtown Wake Forest. For registration forms or more information, visit http://www.gobblersrun.com/ or contact Cat Redd at 219-9915.

Yes, I would agree that people do go to the factory, you can take in some ice skating there! The factory is having the gravy games this weekend:

Gravy Games
Fri/Sat/Sun, November 24-26
The Delicious Skateboard Shop and the Factory Skateboard Park presents the 2nd annual Gravy Games. Don't miss some of the best skateboarding competition around. Lots of prizes will be given out, including trophies and cash money. Visit the Delicious website for all the details and to register at www.deliciousskateboardshop.com. And while you're at it, take advantage of the weekend-long sale. Truly a Thanksgiving feast!

When you mentioned mass, I am assuming you are catholic? I have a number of friends who attend st. catherine's in wake forest. They really like the priest (I believe he is relatively new), and the congregation is large (about 3000). One of my friends' children attends the school there, and seems to like that as well. My guess is, your kids may be able to attend the sunday school at church and meet some kids that way.

The mall, triangle town center, is very nice. Simply head south on US 1 (capital blvd) and you can't miss it!.

You can check out the carolina parent magazine (carolinaparent.com) and see if there are any other activities going on the weekend you are here. Just click on the calendar section.

Hope this helps! It is suppose to get a little nicer here weather wise by thanksgiving day.

Leigh

Old 11-21-2006, 11:12 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,902 times
Hi Bill, go to the News Observer site to find things to do. Check out the Factory, of course. Go to the Triangle Town Center for the mall you look at, and be sure to go to the outside portion where the Christmas tree is set up. Even though it is cold, drive down route 98, heading west to get a look at Falls Lake.
PM me if you would like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary