Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 AM

26 posts, read 95,228 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area and would like to know what the best high schools in Cary, NC are for SAT scores and college placement. The information we have is about Cary HS, Green Hope, Athens Drive and Apex. Any comments about which of these are the stronger schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Athens Drive is actually in West Raleigh. Green Hope has the highest end of grade test scores, scores but is newer and probably the least diverse. Panther Creek is also a Cary High School and is very new, so they have no data available on thei WCPSS website regarding performance but is also considered very good by most people I know. They have good scores as well. Cary high school is the oldest Cary school located in central Cary and is the most diverse of them all and has suprisingly high test scores.
You can see SAT averages for the school on the WCPSS website and they are all very similar, within a few points of each other. Cary High's was the highest over Green Hope by a matter of 4 points, which again, was a only a few points above Apex and then Athens Drive.
I think they are all really good and you would be fine in any of them!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
GreenHope or Panther Creek would be my picks.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 45,451 times
You can find information about the Wake County High Schools SAT scores @ WCPSS:Wake County Students Continue to Excel on 2006-07 SAT (http://www.wcpss.net/news/2007_sat/ - broken link)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
I agree with slynn. Green Hope or Panther Creek. SAT scores at Cary High are good, but the participation rate is much lower.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
PM me if you have any specific questions about Panther Creek.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 PM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
Keep in mind that they rezone the schools periodically so there is no guarantee what school a particular home will be assigned to in the future.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
If you get in Cary High, it is less likely you will get rezoned. The area around it is very built up. They should be done with the renovations and bring the ninth graders back from the 9th grade center next year.

My son graduated there and got a fine education. Of course I doubt you will go wrong with any of them.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
In a warped way, part of me would rather have my child in one of the "lower" performing high schools... for the sole reason of less competitition for key spots at UNC or NCSU.

It isn't unheard of to have a 3.0 @ Green Hope and be in the BOTTOM half of your class.. due to the high percentage of students taking honors and AP classes.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
In a warped way, part of me would rather have my child in one of the "lower" performing high schools... for the sole reason of less competitition for key spots at UNC or NCSU.

It isn't unheard of to have a 3.0 @ Green Hope and be in the BOTTOM half of your class.. due to the high percentage of students taking honors and AP classes.
I don't really think there are any underperforming High schools in Cary, but I know what you mean. Not all kids do well under the pressure of having to get a 3.9 GPA just to be in the top 25% of a class.
Cary High is always been considered the "poor" Cary school because it does have a significantly higher FNR ratio and is more "diverse" with kids from poorer parts of town than the rest of Cary, but their test scores are VERY comparable to the rest of the Cary High schools. I think it says A LOT about the school considering they have more obstacles to overcome than some of the other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary