Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times

Advertisements

Try Schenck Forest- that's the place I miss the most since moving to SC. There are trails but my son and I hardly ever ran into anyone else there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM

326 posts, read 384,582 times
Jordan Lake Educational State Forest off of Big Woods Rd. comes to mind, though I've not actually been to it. I know there is a trail there but I don't think there's any rule that says you have to actually stay on the trail.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Jordan Lake gamelands. Or any other gamelands. Wear blaze orange.
This^. Go to the southern end, like the area between Moncure and Pittsboro (Moncure Pittsboro Road, Exit 79-ish on US1 South, same Exit for B. Everitt Jordan Dam. Then right toward Pittsboro).

Here's a map to help:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...ont/Jordan.pdf

And there is a boat launch in exactly the area I just described, off Gum Springs Ch. I believe it's called Robison Creek, not sure. (It's actually on Hank's Chapel, now that I look at the map, but your turn is Gum Springs, the road changes name.)

I've walked through the woods there. Nice area, fairly remote for our region.

Above is just one example though, there are many places.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Less defined. I don't want to see trails basically. Just want to walk through some wilderness. I realize I might have to drive a bit. And that's fine. The less humans the better.
How long of a walk are you looking to go for? There are trails at Umstead but some pretty large areas without trails or people. I was there this weekend for an orienteering event and in one hour long stretch saw one other person, who was also participating, and no trails. Plenty of hills, too. My legs still ache.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Why this is a great question. Any road north or south, east or west of the greater Raleigh area provides plenty of trees to walk among. For me I tend to like marked paths when taking those spontaneous trips into the woods. It is not good to walk alone in unmarked trails into the woods. If you have ever been lost in the woods you would quickly realize a marked trail is as exciting as good socks and hiking boots! I have been lost in the woods and the only thing pretty about that is being scared. a.k.a Pretty scared! The other reason it is good to have some people around you is if you fall and yell, 'I've fallen and I Can't get up!' someone will be in ear shot distance away to hear you and help you.

Now back to the where to go. All along Falls Lake are marked walking and biking trails. Most have very very very, okay only a couple of people ever on them. All along Route 98 are areas to park, hop out of your car, and book into the woods for a walk, run, ride, or look see. Plenty to do and see with little personnel around. Some deer, small animals, plenty of birds, snakes, and other insects but if you fall and can't get up and they find you....they won't help you, believe me. Plus they don't say much either.

Good luck in your quest to find woods to walk in and may the Oak trees to with you!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:01 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Gamelands. No blaze orange needed this time of year.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
when you say little people, are you trying to find wood elves, or you're planning on taking kids with you?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have lots of places to explore now. Luckily the weather is fantastic. I go to Johnston Mill on Mt Sinai Rd in Chapel Hill often and I like it a lot, but I usually pass between 5 and 10 other humans. Anyone know of anywhere in Alamance County? I've been to Cedarock but even that was a little too crowded for me. I'm trying to be isolated away from all human influence - traffic, other humans, structures, etc - and just sit down close my eyes and meditate for awhile. But I dunno, would you find it weird or suspicious if you saw someone walking off the trail and going and climbing a hill and walking off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
when you say little people, are you trying to find wood elves, or you're planning on taking kids with you?
lol nevermind not the right forum for this humor hahaha

uhh, i meant few people xD no kids

Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
xD? :d

Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM

261 posts, read 307,011 times
Check a map, park on any road near either Falls of Jordan Lakes where there is plenty of forest, walk in and hike to the shoreline, have at it from there. Some places have State Park things but most of the forest around the lakes is non-organized forest. Some are hunting grounds, but a lot of it is just land. Around Falls it's all Army Corp land, not sure who owns the grounds around Jordan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary