Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM

25 posts, read 24,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Those areas more than likely more expensive to rent in than Raleigh.
oh really? I didn't know that

See that's why I'm here... to find things out like that.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I would look around NC State. Some cheap housing there. If you don't mind living near students.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM

We are 23 and 24 years old. Which is why work right now isn't that big of a deal becuase we are okay with getting in between jobs while we try to find out career jobs down there. Both are college graduates but the Cost of Living is just too high in NY/NJ

We think our best opportunities for work will be in the Raleigh area, plus we want to be near the "city" and a few hours from the beach. But obviously work is more important than the beach which is why we were advised from friends in NC to go near Raleigh

Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangiuolo11 View Post
We are 23 and 24 years old. Which is why work right now isn't that big of a deal becuase we are okay with getting in between jobs while we try to find out career jobs down there. Both are college graduates but the Cost of Living is just too high in NY/NJ

We think our best opportunities for work will be in the Raleigh area, plus we want to be near the "city" and a few hours from the beach. But obviously work is more important than the beach which is why we were advised from friends in NC to go near Raleigh
Move to Raleigh. It'll be cheaper than the towns surrounding it and you won't have to travel so far for work.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
apartment rents in western wake towns like Cary, Apex and Morrisville are high! Better to look on the east side of Raleigh like Garner, Knightdale, or more north like Rolesville.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
I just want to dispel that Raleigh is this "low cost of living" utopia. Yes, it is cheaper than the northeast. Understood, not arguing that.

But the fact that your lower end of the rent budget is at $500 means that someone WAY oversold you on the cost of living. As noted previously, 500-600 you're looking at a mobile home in the country. Not knocking that setup, it just sounds like that's not what you are looking for.

Sure you can get a 1 BR for 700-800, but you get an apartment in a location and of a style and age commensurate with the monthly rent. My friend rents a 1BR in Cary and I think she's at $1,200 per month.

And also, I know it has been mentioned before, make sure you have a job lined up before you get here. Apparently everyone else got the "low cost of living" memo and is moving here too!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
I just did a quick search on apartments.com and it looks like the cheap 1 bedroom in Clayton is over $850. Clayton is in Johnston County. Some would call it rural and it is AT LEAST 20 minutes from Raleigh, depending on where you need to get. Rent is not cheap around here.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Sure you can get a 1 BR for 700-800, but you get an apartment in a location and of a style and age commensurate with the monthly rent. My friend rents a 1BR in Cary and I think she's at $1,200 per month.

And also, I know it has been mentioned before, make sure you have a job lined up before you get here. Apparently everyone else got the "low cost of living" memo and is moving here too!
The $500 low end was a push and I know that. I want to be in a nice place so obviously I know I'm looking more towards the $700-900 range but I just wanted to get people's advice and opinions. So Thank You

Also we don't plan on moving until the end of May/June because we are looking to take 2 or 3 trips down there to search and look around and number 1 priority... solidify some jobs so we have an income obviously.

We just want to have work before we get down there whether its landscaping, serving, bartending whatever... Because it wil be hard to find jobs in our fields and set up interviews and what not from NY

Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM

189 posts, read 361,585 times
You need to make a couple of trips here and check out the area and potential job locations. Nobody can pick what you want or need just on money alone.

We got places to live, you just need to seek the good ones out. A lot of people have moved in this area in the last 10 years or so, most pushing up the cost of living by paying more than they should to get what they want....nothing new.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:20 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangiuolo11 View Post
Also we don't plan on moving until the end of May/June because we are looking to take 2 or 3 trips down there to search and look around and number 1 priority... solidify some jobs so we have an income obviously.
This is really the best advice...everything else will fall into place. One thing to keep in mind is that unlike the northeast, there is really no single "hub" for jobs. There are plenty of corporate headquarters (or large regional offices here) and in reality very few are in the downtown areas. You may find the perfect place to live, but then find out that your job is on the other side of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary