Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

Ergg, looking for a house is so stressful in this market! Wonder how many people will end up in houses that aren't great just because they got caught up in the frenzy. I can't imagine choosing an investment the size of a house in an hour. 😳
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 PM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
I just noticed a new listing in Pearson Farms for $409k and said man I am going to Gold cause that place is not worth that price tag....

Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 PM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighgal81 View Post
Ergg, looking for a house is so stressful in this market! Wonder how many people will end up in houses that aren't great just because they got caught up in the frenzy. I can't imagine choosing an investment the size of a house in an hour. 😳
I feel sure people are compromising taking what they can get, rather than what they want.

An hour may be too long

Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighgal81 View Post
I had to put in 4 offers for a buyer in Durham BUT I will say this...the 4th house (the one she got) was by far the best of the 4...so...meant to be!

I keep reminding my buyers that paying way over the real market value is going to mean that IF they have to sell in 3 years and IF we are back into a buyer's market, will that house still be worth what they paid?

Yhea. I'm not liking this at all.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I had to put in 4 offers for a buyer in Durham BUT I will say this...the 4th house (the one she got) was by far the best of the 4...so...meant to be!

I keep reminding my buyers that paying way over the real market value is going to mean that IF they have to sell in 3 years and IF we are back into a buyer's market, will that house still be worth what they paid?

Yhea. I'm not liking this at all.
Have you suggested to any of your buyers to rent instead of buy for now, if they are not sure they are going to stay in the house for at least 10 years or so.......so they do not end up in the awful scenario you rightfully are concerned about?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Have you suggested to any of your buyers to rent instead of buy for now, if they are not sure they are going to stay in the house for at least 10 years or so.......so they do not end up in the awful scenario you rightfully are concerned about?
If there is a commission to be made, who in their right mind is going tell someone not to buy? ...just sayin'

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 PM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If there is a commission to be made, who in their right mind is going tell someone not to buy? ...just sayin'
I did it today...just sayin'.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
I know some that would. Some people are just not in the right position to buy in a market like that. At least she is making them aware of the possible danger.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 AM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post

Who is "sure" of anything more than a few years out? Not many people, I would propose. Recommending a ten+ year plan may be misleading, too.
Yes, the rent vs. buy conversation is common, and graciously agreeing with someone's analysis of their needs and their decision to rent is just better business than pushing for a quick pop.
Anyone feeling pressured to buy should immediately separate from the agent, terminate the agency agreement.

Quote:
Seriously?
There is enough competition for business locally that consumers don't ever have to choose to do business with predators who try to create buyers, or try to create buyer urgency under the guise of fiduciary service.
Plenty of ethical people "in their right minds" will give good guidance before worrying about commission, in recognition that good service lets them sleep at night and provides more income than greed ever will. ...just sayin'

One of the important lines of questions any consumer should ask of a potential buyers' agent is:
"Can you afford to work with me if I don't buy right away?"
"Can you afford to be in business?"
"If I don't buy next month, can you pay your bills?"
I mentioned this to a prospective client last month, and that she should never hear about the costs of being in business from an agent who can afford to be in business, whether that is cell phone expense, cost of gas, etc.
Her mouth fell open, and she said that the agent she had just fired had done exactly as guilt tripping. Sent her a nasty email, "But we spent money on gas showing you houses!"
LOL "Underfunded Predator Alert!"

I spoke with a woman yesterday who has the itch and told her that I believe that the most compelling reason to own is to have no mortgage in 20-25 years, to go into retirement without a mortgage payment.
Price and interest rates will not keep her from accomplishing that if she buys next year, or in 3-5 years when the kids are out of school.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-05-2016 at 05:48 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
I just noticed a new listing in Pearson Farms for $409k and said man I am going to Gold cause that place is not worth that price tag....
Holy hell.

Looked at the house online though. Most places in Pearson Farms wouldn't demand that price but that house has 5 bedrooms.

Being the biggest/ most expensive house in the neighborhood is usually NOT what you want though.

Also that neighborhood has too many speedbumps in awkward places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary