Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:22 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

I have a friend house hunting in the mid $200K range in Cary/Apex, and houses are being snapped up so fast it's ridiculous. She put in an all cash offer for $3K over listing price on one place, and didn't get it (first day on the market). A flip up the street from me that needs a new roof, and is on a terrible lot, went under contract for somewhere around $320K (purchased for $220K by the flipper 2 months ago). I think my friend is crazy to be house hunting in this market - she doesn't have to move. In that situation I personally wouldn't get into bidding wars.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:29 PM

252 posts, read 275,965 times
We live in Holly Springs, sold our house last June in 24hrs. We had friends that got $10k over asking by people that saw pics online, didn't even visit in person. As the realtors on here have said, especially in that price range, be ready to make an offer without visiting.

There are realtors walking around neighborhoods asking if anyone is considering selling as they have 5+ buyers lined up ready to buy. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:30 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
It's Plum Loco.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:32 PM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
My friend's house sold in 24 hours with about 10 bids and the winning bid was $10,000 over.
This was two weeks ago.

Another friend is looking and already put in 3 bids and did not get any of them. He put in the bids on the 1st day they went on the market.
One house (in Cary) went way, way over asking.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:37 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I guess I'm wondering - people that are selling their homes.. are they building a new house? Moving out of the area? I mean, I'd love to get what Zillow (haha) says my house is worth, but it's not like I could find another house to buy in this area!

Plum loco, indeed!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I guess I'm wondering - people that are selling their homes.. are they building a new house? Moving out of the area? I mean, I'd love to get what Zillow (haha) says my house is worth, but it's not like I could find another house to buy in this area!

Plum loco, indeed!
Relocating out of area..
Also, Separating, unfortunately.
Selling Mom's house.
Upsize. Downsize.

Every house has a story.

And, selling is easy. Selling and buying is a LOT dicier. You reap your profit, but the sellers you buy from take it and then some.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-25-2016 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 05:52 PM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
Some just want to take advantage of the sellers' market.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:43 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Some just want to take advantage of the sellers' market.
But once they sell they become the buyer and their "profit" will be plowed right back into an overpriced house. Recent article in Fortune mag about housing prices starting to significantly outpace wages....and become unaffordable......in many parts of the country (not just NY, SF).....again. Bubble anyone?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
But once they sell they become the buyer and their "profit" will be plowed right back into an overpriced house. Recent article in Fortune mag about housing prices starting to significantly outpace wages....and become unaffordable......in many parts of the country (not just NY, SF).....again. Bubble anyone?
Yes, sorry. A bit of irony was intended. That said, there truly are people selling in the crazy western parts and heading SE to Johnston County to take advantage. Yes, prices are rising in Clayton and the population is growing strongly but the market is certainly not as crazy as Cary, Apex and Holly Springs.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:03 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And, selling is easy. Selling and buying is a LOT dicier. You reap your profit, but the sellers you buy from take it and then some.
Well said, people who start having champagne and caviar dreams at the thought of selling better be prepared for something more like High Life (champagne of beers ya know) and Spam if they think they are going to stay in anything remotely comparable around here. Of course, if they are willing to live in a cardboard box, or commute 2 hours daily, then pop those corks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary