Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM

31 posts, read 46,999 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Carborro in June with 3 kids: rising 8th grader, rising 6th grader and a 3.5 year old.
I am trying to understand the testing requirements in NC. If I am correct, there are EOG tests at the end of the year and they decide promotion at the end of 3rd, 5th, and 8th grade. Is that right? What exactly does that mean? I am asking because my oldest is currently in a private school in FL and he will have to transition to a public school setting for 8th grade. He is in a nervous test-taker and generally doesn't do well on standardized tests. I am worried that coming from a different state and school experience will be at his disadvantage. What happens if he fails the tests at the end of 8th grade? Will he be held back? What is the process?

Also, when enrolling them in middle school, what should I pay attention to? I've been reading about Math 8/Math I...college track in 5th grade...all foreign to me . If I don't want to overwhelm him, what do I look at when we try to put his schedule together? I just want to make thsi transition for him as easy as I can...

Last edited by Barbus22; 04-05-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:45 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
They don't hold your child back if they "fail" the EOG. This an urban legend and a scare tactic. Imagine getting 3 or 4 all year in your subjects and thenEOGs come and for whatever reason you bomb it. Nerves, not feeling well, upset at home - whatever. Does it make any logical sense that they COUKD hold you back due to a STANDARDIZED TEST?! no. It makes no sense. It doesn't happen. Schools DON'T want to hold kids back.
As far as college track - too much for me to say about that typing on the phone. I would stick with the offered math option and not to try to move him to the "higher " math because it's pretty much genius level kids in there.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 46,999 times
Ok, good - big sigh - lol. I am probably overthinking stuff �� But I pulled the kid from public school once because of idiotic testing processes (Florida) and I really don't want to go the private route again.
I wonder how they decide on the placement when he comes from a different state with no standardized test results in the past 2 years.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
I can give you a small piece of info as far as Math 8/Math I.

If your son has always been on grade level with math, they'll likely put him in Math 8.
If he's been above grade level and has taken high-school courses already such as Algebra, they'll likely put him in Math I or even Math II if the school offers it.
Teachers do retain the right to recommend that students be moved up or down according to demonstrated ability level and aptitude, however.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I can give you a small piece of info as far as Math 8/Math I.

If your son has always been on grade level with math, they'll likely put him in Math 8.
If he's been above grade level and has taken high-school courses already such as Algebra, they'll likely put him in Math I or even Math II if the school offers it.
Teachers do retain the right to recommend that students be moved up or down according to demonstrated ability level and aptitude, however.
Not in Chapel Hill schools they don't. Chapel Hill schools has gotten very strict on who they allow to take compacted math. In order to be in Math 1 in 8th grade, you need to be in the 90% or 95% percentile (depending on the year) on some standardized tests. If your child has that for a CoGat score or something similar in the past year or two, that would probably work. But you *might* have to fight for it, if you are new to the district.

If your child already took Math 1, then he would just follow the sequence he is on. To be in the sequence where he takes Math 1 in 7th grade and Math II in 8th grade, he would need to be in LEAP and would need to wait until next year to apply for the following year. It is very difficult to get into - you need about a 99% on two standardized tests such as CoGat, NNat, Iowa Test of Basic Skills, etc. On average, maybe 3 kids out of 100 get in.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,370 times
I can't speak specifically to CH/C'borro schools, and how they determine placement, but I can tell you that Math CC1 is essentially what we used to call Algebra. At the middle schools around me (in Wake County), the vast majority of 8th graders take CC1. I would say that if your child is behind in math, take Math 8, if they're on grade level then CC1. If they've already taken Algebra, then ask about CC2.

And no - they're not going to hold your kid back if they fail the EOG. IMO, the EOG has nothing to do with my kid -- it's a test to score the school.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I can't speak specifically to CH/C'borro schools, and how they determine placement, but I can tell you that Math CC1 is essentially what we used to call Algebra. At the middle schools around me (in Wake County), the vast majority of 8th graders take CC1. I would say that if your child is behind in math, take Math 8, if they're on grade level then CC1. If they've already taken Algebra, then ask about CC2.

And no - they're not going to hold your kid back if they fail the EOG. IMO, the EOG has nothing to do with my kid -- it's a test to score the school.
In most school districts that is the case. But in Chapel Hill schools, as of a few years ago, they changed their procedures so that 70% of students will be taking Math 8 in 8th grade, while only 30% will take Math 1 or higher. They claim that too many students taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade were not succeeding in higher level math classes because there were holes in their learning.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:51 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Yeah in Wake County most kids who are remotely close to grade level will go into Math 1 in 8th grade. If you say you want him on the college track, he will go into Math I.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not in Chapel Hill schools they don't. Chapel Hill schools has gotten very strict on who they allow to take compacted math. In order to be in Math 1 in 8th grade, you need to be in the 90% or 95% percentile (depending on the year) on some standardized tests. If your child has that for a CoGat score or something similar in the past year or two, that would probably work. But you *might* have to fight for it, if you are new to the district.

If your child already took Math 1, then he would just follow the sequence he is on. To be in the sequence where he takes Math 1 in 7th grade and Math II in 8th grade, he would need to be in LEAP and would need to wait until next year to apply for the following year. It is very difficult to get into - you need about a 99% on two standardized tests such as CoGat, NNat, Iowa Test of Basic Skills, etc. On average, maybe 3 kids out of 100 get in.
That's why I only said "recommend" instead of "move." In Wake teachers can make recommendations, though the placement ultimately lies with the administration.

Also, not every state has the math course structure that NC has in place. It's not as easy to find direct equivalencies, even if the student has taken HS math courses in MS.

Last edited by papilgee4evaeva; 04-05-2016 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
That's why I only said "recommend" instead of "move." In Wake teachers can make recommendations, though the placement ultimately lies with the administration.

Also, not every state has the math course structure that NC has in place. It's not as easy to find direct equivalencies, even if the student has taken HS math courses in MS.
In Chapel Hill it goes solely by standardized test scores - no teacher involvement in the decision. I've been dealing with the math issue here in Chapel Hill Schools for three years. We have spoken to the teachers, the principal, and the district math coordinator. You don't get the score, you don't get into Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

We moved here from Virginia which doesn't follow Common Core, but the math classes were similar to what is here in CH. We had Math 8, Algebra 1, Algebra 1 Honors, or Algebra 2 as 8th grade options in Virginia. CH has the same except that there is only one Algebra 1 class - no differentiation between Alg. 1 and Alg. 1 honors, and they are much stricter about who they allow in to Algebra 1 here. It's not like Wake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary