Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times

Advertisements

These lists are all bogus, but it's so funny to read the comments and see all the parents with their feelings hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:49 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
These lists are all bogus, but it's so funny to read the comments and see all the parents with their feelings hurt.
So true, my cousin in Tucson has two kids in the #3 ranked school on the list, Basis Tucson North, out of the 21,000 public schools in the country and even she thinks the rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt. Does she think Basis is a good/great school, sure, but is it the 3rd best public school in the entire country, probably not.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I completely respect your opinion, but I have a different one. I have kids and I couldn't care less what USN&WR thinks about the high schools in North Carolina. It has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on my life.
It will have a bearing when you try to buy or sell a house. Perceived quality of the schools that are zoned for a given house is one of-- if not the-- driving factors for price.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 AM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
It will have a bearing when you try to buy or sell a house. Perceived quality of the schools that are zoned for a given house is one of-- if not the-- driving factors for price.
I don't think anyone will disagree with that statement.

As it pertains to this particular thread I think there's a couple of points I'd mention:

1) I believe USN&WR is pretty far down the list of sources that contribute to the perceived quality of specific schools/school zones behind items like feedback from students and their families, test score raw data, NC report card data and even websites like greatschools, schooldigger and others. The first point is why I said the USN&WR ranking has no bearing on my life (for the record, I didn't say perceived school quality in general has no bearing on my life). To me, the USN&WR ranking just isn't very useful when compared to other sources of information.

2) School quality (both perceived and real) is much more static than these annual rankings would care to admit (after all, USN&WR has to sell magazines every year regardless of whether or not much has actually changed). With respect to home prices in a given school zone, I think the second point is important to remember. Because school quality is relatively static, it is unlikely to have changed a whole lot over the course of the average length one's home ownership. If you live in a school zone of poor quality today, you'll have to sell your house for less $/sf. However, the school zone was probably of poor quality when you bought the house, too, so you paid less $/sf to begin with. In the end, it's probably a wash (the caveat being appreciation rate in one place over the over).

Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post

True, but that is already factored into the price of the house when you buy it.

Now if your school goes from average to great (perceived), that could be interesting. Or I guess a more likely scenario is if your house is re-zoned to a "better" school. And I guess vice versa could apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary