Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times

Advertisements

Sure to help real estate values in their respective school districts, the following LI high schools and their rank were in U.S. News & World Report's top 100:

Great Neck South, no. 43

Jericho, no. 58

Cold Spring Harbor, no. 71

Manhasset, no. 78

Full story here:

Four Long Island schools make magazine's top 100 -- Newsday.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Sure to help real estate values in their respective school districts, the following LI high schools and their rank were in U.S. News & World Report's top 100:

Great Neck South, no. 43

Jericho, no. 58

Manhasset, no. 78

Full story here:

Looking at the districts, why am I not surprised?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Looking at the districts, why am I not surprised?
Any thoughts on why Great Neck North High School didn't make the cut?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on why Great Neck North High School didn't make the cut?
I was always curious about that too

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,530 times
Quote:

Great Neck South, no. 43

Jericho, no. 58

Manhasset, no. 78

Full story here:

Back in the 70's and 80's I absolutely hated the public school system and had started my own school with a group of other people that ran for a decade and a half. After we ended the school I looked for an area with a great PS and through some research found CSHPS so we moved into the cheapest house in that hood to be in the school district. I've sent both my daughters through there. My youngest is graduating this fall. I can't say enough good things about the school....the people in this town..well...that a whole other story.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,606 times
I'm surprised the Wheatley School in Old Westbury wasn't there.
I've heard it's amongst the best of LI...and highest paying for teachers too.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 PM

112 posts, read 649,235 times
Okay just so everyone on here knows:

this is one of the most flawed lists out there. take a look at the methodology. i know students who've attend every one of those schools that are mentioned on this forum..and along with many of them, all agree that the list is BULL. so many of those students coming from those schools are simply not bright and are in utter amazement as to how their schools made the list. even some of the best high schools in new york city aren't listed. this list should by no means be taken seriously. sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyboy View Post
Okay just so everyone on here knows:

this is one of the most flawed lists out there. take a look at the methodology. i know students who've attend every one of those schools that are mentioned on this forum..and along with many of them, all agree that the list is BULL. so many of those students coming from those schools are simply not bright and are in utter amazement as to how their schools made the list. even some of the best high schools in new york city aren't listed. this list should by no means be taken seriously. sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
With all due repect..while you may be right... just because YOU say so doesnt make it so. I tend to believe the magazine a whole lot more .They get their information from test scores the schools have... to how many kids go on to college etc etc.
You may know a cpl of kids out of thousands in each school which I even doubt that but until you post some statistics to show somethiing substancial to back up your claim I take it with a grain of salt.
I've read these top 100 schools in other journels as well and in a lot of the articles the do show how they get their results.

No offense..really.
edit: a quick Google search brought this right up from a different publication which is pretty close to the other article America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Last edited by andybuildz; 12-07-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
These studies are crap. They must as well have named it The Richest and Whitest School Districts in the Nation with the Highest Percentage of Homeowners.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
These studies are crap. They must as well have named it The Richest and Whitest School Districts in the Nation with the Highest Percentage of Homeowners.
Thats really not the point. These schools probably are mostly in wealthy neighborhoods but that doesn't mean the statistics aren't true. So why would you call it crap? Schools with a lot of money means the parents of these kids pay exhorbatant taxes for the most part. There are people in different tax brackets you know. That doesn't make them bad people...does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island