Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to have a row of screening installed to add privacy from a neighbors home. Leland cypress grows a little too wide so I was considering green giants since they grow so fast and they are not quite as wide. I'm looking for recommendations for a company in Raleigh (or close by) to sell/install, and if there are any other types of plantings I could do as well. I would prefer something that will grown 20'+ tall and have room for something that can get 20-25' wide. Narrower is ideal though because I would like to fence the property as well.

Also looking for a company who can make my grass look better. I had some trees removed and the sides are really tore up. I would be open for sod, or someone who can level out the grass, aerate, seed, or do whatever to help it grow. This would probably be a fall project when the weather cools down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:43 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Trees2Go

Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM

I checked out trees2go and open to other suggestions. Either for privacy screening or companies that sell and or plant too.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Alternate green Giants with chindo viburnums in a staggered pattern. Chindos are awesome screens!

Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
As far as plantings go, I have a couple Emerald Green Arborvitae that have a more narrow growth habit but they have been sloooooww growing... The density of the foliage however would also make a good noise dampener. It's about as close as you can get to Italian Cypress in NC.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
I was faced with a similar situation years ago. A thick green wall would have looked a little too obvious for my liking and wouldn't quite fit the yard visually.

I opted for 2 Carolina Beauty Crape Myrtles. It's not a "wall" but does screen me from an unobstructed view into my neighbors back yard. Trees2go planted them and I was happy with the service. Trees have done well. The only down-side was that one tree could not be planted right where I wanted due to underground utilities, so keep that in mind.

There are also small trees that are favored as "urban trees" that can be planted between the curb and sidewalk and pruned to be kept narrow. I have Japanese cherry planted there when the city of Raleigh gave them away free a number of years ago.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
bamboo. just kidding.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
bamboo. just kidding.

I love bamboo and will be using somewhere in my yard. Not for this screening project though. A close friend of mine has a few varieties in her yard and it's amazing. With a rhizome barrier it takes care of almost all spreading.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
+1 for Trees2go. I had them come and plant a variety of things around the perimeter of my backyard in fall 2014. All of the plants are thriving-
Two 6-7' Crepe Myrtles
1 very nice 5' Japanese Maple
1 6' Little Gem Magnolia
1 Hydrangea
2 4' Emerald Arborvitae that are already 6' tall
13 Swift Creek Privet that are forming a nice hedge

I had just resodded my backyard. I had the landscape crew that did the sodding leave a meandering border for screening plants, but their ideas were boring and very pricey.

Enter Mike at trees2go. Just add water-my kind of gardening. I could have gone to Broadwell's and saved some money but it was not worth it for me. Mike came out to help with selections and positioning. The service fee for the visit is credited toward the purchase.

Their business model is pretty clever. You retain credit for your prior purchases toward future plantings in terms of quantity and volume discounts. I will be calling them again this fall for another round of plants to screen my HVAC units.

Avoid Leylands. I have had them before and they are a nightmare. I drove by my old house a couple of weeks ago and the 13 year old Leylands look absolutely horrible. The owners have trimmed out dead branches so there are huge gaps, and none of them are the same height. Total eyesore.

Emerald Arborvitae are a very good alternative. The two Emeralds that trees2go planted are growing very nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary