Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM

810 posts, read 667,681 times

Advertisements

Q-shack sucks.. flavorless, dry, uninspiring.... I cringe when I hear of out of towners visiting the Q Shack for a sample of NC BBQ (almost always underwhelmed) the best item on their menu are the fried chicken wings and maybe the potato salad. Stick with the Pit instead.. Popular place for gatherings and good food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
We were disappointed in the Pit. Very dry and bland flavor. Never went back.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
My take on Durham Q

Tier 1 (top tier)
Picnic
Backyard BBQ Pit
Johnson Family BBQ

Tier 2 (I just want a decent quick lunch)
Byrd's BBQ
Hog Heaven
Blue Note Grill (note: their ribs are better than their que)

Tier 3 (I like wine with my BBQ)
The Pit

Tier 4 (people love it but not me)
Bullocks (their Brunswick stew is damn good though)
Q Shack (never understood the love of this place)
Danny's BBQ

A few notes:
City BBQ is opening near Southpoit soon (I think this week?) They are a chain, which I hate but I will admit I've had some really good food there.
Allen's and Son's is not Durham but it is close especially in regards to Eno.
Hillsborough BBQ (as another poster mentioned) is pretty decent.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
having tried all but Blue Note Grill my rankings would be:

1. Johnson Family BBQ (tie for 1. is Allen & Son in nearby Chapel Hill)
2. Picnic
3. The Pit

Never understood the love for Backyard BBQ pit, I find it to be bland. I don't understand the hate for Q Shack. I suspect it's from people who prefer NC style BBQ. The Q Shack is Texas-style BBQ and has the best brisket you're going to get around here.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
Everyone has different tastes and I know a ton of people that like Q Shack for Brisket. I personally find it dry and also lacking bark.

To me the best brisket is at City BBQ (ask for burnt ends) and also (very very surprisingly) Whole Foods in Chapel Hill. I've done a Texas BBQ tour that includes Franklin's and Salt Lick as well as many others and to me the two NC spots listed above have the best brisket that I have had in the triangle.

Sant - I like your Eastern NC BBQ List. Perhaps try these two places for brisket. We seem to be on the same page for NC que at least.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
Won't work for the OP, as its closed on Sunday, but Allen and Son is a short drive from Durham, but is well worth it. Take Erwin Road, turn right on Mt. Sinai Road and it takes you right to it. 20 minutes from downtown Durham.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
I don't understand the hate for Q Shack. I suspect it's from people who prefer NC style BBQ. The Q Shack is Texas-style BBQ and has the best brisket you're going to get around here.
Yes! I love the Qcobb salad at Qshack (brisket and smoked turkey). The sides are pretty good too, as is the beef sausage. We stopped going there for a while back as it had gotten subpar, but in more recent years the quality seems to have returned.

My favorite pork around is Allen and Son. Hush puppies are great there too. Sides are ok.

Pork at Picnic was good enough, but the hush puppies had absolutely no flavor (were almost inedible), and I was underwhelmed with the sides I tried other than the fries. Chicken sandwich looked delicious though.

Went to the Pit long ago, was not that memorable.

My all around favorite in terms of meats and sides and consistent good quality is Hillsborogh BBQ.

Very excited to try these ribs at BNG!

My $.02.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This may be akin to foodie heresy, but The Pit just doesn't do it for me. The food was fine, it just wasn't memorable and I can't think of any reason I would plan to return there. Admittedly the fried chicken was really good but everything else failed to impress.
Their chopped pork and mac & cheese give me life.

I've had to make this Pit v BNG decision several times lol
I almost always go with Pit
Sooo that's who I say
I also like Q Shack because I like Texas and Memphis BBQ better than Carolina

I've never been to a City Barbecue, and I see this one is opening soon so I'll definitely be eating there. Is the Allen & Son in Pittsboro better than the one in CH?
Allen & Son in CH are right near a hiking trail that I go to a lot, so I like its relatively isolated location.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Not a big fan of The Pit - Backyard Pit BBQ has solid BBQ (not the best but it isn't bad). Smokey's in Morrisville is good.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
This upcoming Sunday May 8? Mother's Day and Graduation weekend? No matter where you go there will be a wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary