Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:12 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Just looked at my last bill. Paid $9 for a month of drinkable water and $16 for wastewater treatment. You probably pay more for you cell phone each month. If water was any cheaper it would be FREE.

Have we run out of things to complain about? I'm happy that the lake is full this year.
That seems extremely reasonable. In fact, that sounds like they are almost giving it away. I agree with you, not much to complain about there. We pay my parent's water/sewer bill and it averages $54/mo and I think that is extremely reasonable as well. We have a pool, a lawn that unfortunately needs to be watered in the dry season per HOA and have higher usage due to medical needs and we average $125/mo and I think that is about right for all that.

It's funny, not the ha ha kind. I was there in NC during the water shortage and I remember how upset people were that no one had thought ahead for such a situation. Heck, I remember this one guy posting in this very forum about they need to do something to secure additional safe drinking water capacity. So now the price goes up a few pennies a day and the world is ending! Give me a break.

Guess what folks? The population there is expanding, with or without transplants. It is expanding around the globe. That is natural. NC does not have an unlimited water supply and what it does have is in danger from all kinds of things, not the least of is massive poisoning from idiotic fracking. It is wiser to double, triple, quadruple your water bill today, if that means you can help protect the water sources you have now and help secure new water sources going forward.

Penny pinching gets you no where, but in the poor house in the long run!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 05-14-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
NC's water/sewer costs are double that of Phoenix, AZ.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:17 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
NC's water/sewer costs are double that of Phoenix, AZ.
Well, literally I think you mean NC's average water price to consumers is double that of Phoenix. And that's because Uncle Sam paid most of the cost of the infrastructure that connects the desert cities to the Colorado River. There are a few cases of federally-funded water projects in North Carolina -- Falls Lake happens to be one, and there are some in the western mountains -- but for the most part, local governments funded their water systems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Now we pay more for using less.
We pay more on a per-gallon basis because the cost to operate the water system is mostly fixed. Fewer gallons consumed means higher rates. But whether an individual's bill went up or down depends on whether that individual conserved or not. If an individual conserved more than the average, his/her bill still went down in absolute dollars. If somebody failed to conserve, yes, his/her bill went up in absolute dollars.

The bigger problem in Raleigh, as in many cities, is deteriorating or undersized pipes in the parts of the city built before 1950. This is especially true in the downtown core. A few years ago someone on the city staff gave a nine-figures estimate of what it will cost to rebuild the underground infrastructure.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:19 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The price of water is increasing in July, sounds like.
the rent is too damn high!

Remember that candidate for NYC mayor?

Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
We pay $67.03/month for a 2BR apt. no car washing. No watering. No leaks. When we first came, it was $25/month.

Tiered rates and junk fees at work.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
We pay $67.03/month for a 2BR apt. no car washing. No watering. No leaks. When we first came, it was $25/month.

What is wrong with tiered rates? The more you use, the more you pay. The incentive is to use less, to pay at the lower tier rate. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? The point is to try to conserve water.

So the bill went up 125% since you moved there. How many years ago was that? Figure out the average yearly % increase. It doesn't sounds that bad at all, from what you have indicated in previous posts.

Who is billing you for the water? The city or your landlord? If it is your landlord, is he/she adding in junk fees or retroactive impact fees?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
What is wrong with tiered rates? The more you use, the more you pay. The incentive is to use less, to pay at the lower tier rate. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? The point is to try to conserve water.

So the bill went up 125% since you moved there. How many years ago was that? Figure out the average yearly % increase. It doesn't sounds that bad at all, from what you have indicated in previous posts.

Who is billing you for the water? The city or your landlord? If it is your landlord, is he/she adding in junk fees or retroactive impact fees?
Bill direct from city.

Tiered rates encourage conservation but why should a thrifty 2 person family in an apt. go into other than tier 1?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I don't have a problem with rate increases as long as people are paying for what they're using...or wasting!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Here's a fun fact I learned today from Raleigh City Council. What you pay for your water only covers 80% of the actual cost. The rest of the cost is covered through the general fund which is supported by taxes collected.

Let that sink in for a minute CapitalBlvd. You are unhappy with how much you pay for water and you aren't even paying the actual cost.

#TheMoreYouKnow

Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Here's a fun fact I learned today from Raleigh City Council. What you pay for your water only covers 80% of the actual cost. The rest of the cost is covered through the general fund which is supported by taxes collected.

Let that sink in for a minute CapitalBlvd. You are unhappy with how much you pay for water and you aren't even paying the actual cost.

#TheMoreYouKnow
Why pay even 80%?
"The quality of water is not strained; it droppeth as the gentle rain from Heaven...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary