Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.15 View Post
Oh no, I'm worried I may find it boring if it's 'tiny' compared to London...
It most certainly is and it sounds like you are in for a bit of a shock. But experiencing different things and ways of living is good, so look at it as educational. Just take it as it comes and go with the flow. FYI - The flow will be much slower and calm than that of London. Downright rural compared to London......LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I am from London, UK and will be in Durham, NC for a little while within the next few months. I would like to know what Durham is like in terms of day-to-day life, weather, raising a family, job prospects and the people? i.e. are they welcoming of foreigners? Also, are there any other nearby states that are better for any of these things if not North Carolina?
First you ask about a city, then about a state. NC is more than Durham! Are you definitely coming to Durham or not?

Here is City-Data's info page on Durham with a lot of general factual info.

Being on-American won't be an issue. You can research the climate data yourself on climate sites, but it's hot in the summer, milder the rest of the year. Lots of Artsy stuff going on, and a minor-league baseball team.

We can't answer anything about job prospects without knowing what field you're looking in.

Maybe it would be better to say what kind of things you are specifically looking for, and what kind of thing you are looking to avoid? "What is Durham like?" is a very vague question.

And yes, it's nowhere CLOSE to London. Were you not aware of this before you decided to move here??

Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
I am from London, UK and will be in Durham, NC for a little while within the next few months. I would like to know what Durham is like in terms of day-to-day life, weather, raising a family, job prospects and the people? i.e. are they welcoming of foreigners? Also, are there any other nearby states that are better for any of these things if not North Carolina?
North Carolina has a population of about 9 million, which for comparison is like the population of Scotland and Ireland added together. Job prospects vary by city, quality of 'raising a family' varies by neighborhood. If you move 1,500 miles across the country, yes you'll see some state-level variation. But not if you move 1 or 2 states over.

Weather, compared to the UK, has more variation. Much hotter in summer, about the same in winter, and spring/fall are warm but very unpredictable from day to day.

I can't tell you much about Durham specifically; I'm doing my research now to see if I want to take a job there. But in population terms expect to be in a metro area in the ballpark of Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, etc. -- urban, but not comparable to London.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
What is life like?

Well I go to work and I go home and cook dinner and hang out and get ready to do it again

On the weekends maybe some chores and what not...

Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
First you ask about a city, then about a state. NC is more than Durham! Are you definitely coming to Durham or not?

Here is City-Data's info page on Durham with a lot of general factual info.

Being on-American won't be an issue. You can research the climate data yourself on climate sites, but it's hot in the summer, milder the rest of the year. Lots of Artsy stuff going on, and a minor-league baseball team.

We can't answer anything about job prospects without knowing what field you're looking in.

Maybe it would be better to say what kind of things you are specifically looking for, and what kind of thing you are looking to avoid? "What is Durham like?" is a very vague question.

And yes, it's nowhere CLOSE to London. Were you not aware of this before you decided to move here??
he said he is doing a study year abroad, and that he didn't have much choicein terms of location.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:43 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't think you'll be bored in Durham. It's nothing like London (where is?) but there's plenty to do. It's a great town.
This. Obviously Durham isn't London, what else is even comparable to London other than New York?!

But Durham is a fun place for what it is, with things to keep you entertained while you do your year at Duke. I'd recommend staying near downtown (or 9th street), if you are used to London rent prices it won't be bad for you at all and it puts you in the best location for things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary