Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 PM

580 posts, read 712,465 times

Advertisements

My DD has asked to play lacrosse. She is a beginner. Only has played for fun with her uncle. I checked online and see there are a few groups/teams that play in the Cary area.

Does anyone have any experience with any of them?
Looking for a fun atmosphere to try it out and see if she likes it before we do anything competitive.

She is 10 years old.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM

142 posts, read 223,717 times
NCLA's fall instructional program will be starting in a few weeks. It would give her an opportunity to learn the rules of the game, then if she likes it she can sign up to play on a team in the spring. Their website is nclaxacademy.com However, their practices are in Raleigh.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Town of Cary usually has girls lacrosse but I believe it's in the spring

Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 PM

53 posts, read 67,456 times
Hope this helps....my daughter loves it!

Rival Youth Lacrosse League

RIVAL YOUTH LACROSSE
2016 Fall Instructional League

Rival Fall Instructional League is an 8 Week camp/clinic style format and is open for boys & girls grades 1-8. It is a great time to introduce newcomers to the game or hone the skills of returning players. Players are divided by age, grade and skill level and will receive individual instruction in all aspects of the game. Sessions are one day a week (Sat or Sun) and progress basic stick and footwork fundamentals and progress into team and game play. Sessions are often led by many local college and professional lacrosse players passing on their knowledge of the game The fall sessions are extremely popular and registration tends to fill up very quickly.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Be careful where you send her. My daughter (older) went to a UNC LAX camp. Her local coach recommended it as a place to learn, and I talked to the coach and was assured the camp was for beginners as well as more accomplished LAXers. I was afraid it was more of an elite camp.

Turns out most girls there were trying for scholarships, competition was viscous and my newbie daughter was ostracized, insulted and screamed at. One scrimmage she "had to play" for about 10 seconds, and was roundly accused of costing the squad the scrimmage, and their prestige.

Needless to say, she never picked up her twig again. A letter to UNC LAX resulted in a form letter response.

Just make sure if you and she expect a true learning camp and experience, that is where you are sending her.

Good luck, LAX is a great game.

Oh, LAX is about passing and catching, not running. If she is running around, trying to cradle and not passing,she is learning wrong!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM

116 posts, read 254,621 times
I took my kids to NC Lax Academy when they were 10 and had never played before. I ended up staying on for a few years as an instructor. I think its a great place for beginners lacrosse. They keep it fun and lively while hitting on the necessary fundamentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary