Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 AM
DPK DPK started this thread

4,595 posts, read 5,738,243 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in feedback for trails that there are interesting sites along the way? Old cemeteries, abandoned mills, historic things, things that time forgot, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations for something different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,325,663 times
Company Mill trail in Umstead is pretty cool.

I like the cliffs at Raven Rock SP (not exactly "IN" the triangle though).

Lots of graves and old farm homesteads everywhere, although I cant think of one that I could describe at the moment....

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,516,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Company Mill trail in Umstead is pretty cool.

I like the cliffs at Raven Rock SP (not exactly "IN" the triangle though).

Lots of graves and old farm homesteads everywhere, although I cant think of one that I could describe at the moment....
Across the parking lot from the Company Mill trail at Umstead is the Loblolly trail...where there is a 100+ year old graveyard maybe 20 yards from the trailhead. Loblolly is a turn around trail; Company Mill is a (large) loop.

If you are for a long hike, about 10 miles (usually takes about 3-4 hours) I'd suggest doing both the Company Mill and Sycamore trails at Umstead. They are two loops that are each about 4 miles in diameter. You pass by two lakes, a small waterfall, the remnants of the old mill and it's just a really nice hike. I did once stop on a copperhead there though so just be on the lookout!

For a much quicker hike (though probably little further of a drive for you if you live in Wake County) that I really like is at Occaneechee Mountain Park in Hillsborough. The park includes a really cool overlook of an abandoned quarry that really looks like a cliff you'd see out in the west somewhere. There are a few "off the trail" baths that take you right to the edge (the "official" overlook is fenced in at the top). The whole mountain loop trail is just under 2 miles.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,937 times
I'm interested in this topic - I've been to Umstead, Raven Ridge and Eno River but curious where else there is good hiking within an hours drive of Raleigh. I'll have to check out Occoneechee!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,367,522 times
Duke Forest off Mt Sinai Rd has some nice hikes. I think you can see the remains of an old mill race if you look hard.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,619,007 times
The pump station section of the Eno (accessible off Rivermont rd) has the remnants of the old pump station, Reservoir & dam works that provided water to Durham in the early nineteen-hundreds. It's pretty cool. And the Dunnegan trail has old gravesites from some of the Dunnegan family.

DURHAM WATER COMPANY - ENO RIVER PUMPING STATION | Open Durham

Catharine Link Dunnagan « Eno River Association – Education, Advocacy & Conservation

Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM

49 posts, read 125,205 times
There are some good hikes on Triangle Land Conservancy property. My favorite is The White Pines Nature Preserve in Chatham County

https://www.triangleland.org/explore/nature-preserves

Old 08-29-2016, 08:04 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,733,875 times
I love that place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn50 View Post
My favorite is The White Pines Nature Preserve in Chatham County

Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,111,731 times
The Pump Station Trail is my local trail and the first thing that came to mind for this thread. In addition to a lot of ruins there is a great swimming hole just below the old pump station. The Rivermont Road access is the easiest way to access the old pump station, but for a longer hike, park by the bridge on Guess Road and hike west along the Laurel Bluffs Trail/MST to the Pump Station. Along the way are some old mill stones at the site of the old mill, the old tail race for the mill which the trail actually follows some, and the ruins of an old cabin, complete with rusted out water pump. There are also some bluffs with scenic views of the river and, in season, some pretty mountain laurel in bloom. Round trip from Guess Rd. to the Pump Station is about 5 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
The pump station section of the Eno (accessible off Rivermont rd) has the remnants of the old pump station, Reservoir & dam works that provided water to Durham in the early nineteen-hundreds. It's pretty cool. And the Dunnegan trail has old gravesites from some of the Dunnegan family.

DURHAM WATER COMPANY - ENO RIVER PUMPING STATION | Open Durham

Catharine Link Dunnagan « Eno River Association – Education, Advocacy & Conservation

Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,686 times
Horton Grove is on an old plantation & slave quarters. Some old building still around & a piedmont meadow that has a nice loop.
https://www.triangleland.org/explore...ature-preserve

Eno Park has tons of stuff - you should sign up for their newsletter. They do guided hikes sometimes. Old building foundations, they actually fixed up the old mill on the property. And a lot of trails, so you would find something new & different for quite a while there.
Eno River State Park | NC State Parks

While not as exciting as some of the others, a couple spots on the American Tobacco Trail go by some old tobacco barns.

Ellerbe Creek in Durham is mostly town, but by the museum it goes by the old brontosauras (sp?) & down in town is the Pearl Mill watershed.
EXPLORE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary