Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

OP - don't buy a house. In addition to the above good replies, I'll note that just a few months ago you were thinking of moving to Atlanta. Renting is valuable for it's flexibility - financial, time management and ability to pick up and move whenever you want. Don't forget those are IMPORTANT things.

PS - I didn't buy a house until I was 33 years old. And I still retired at 52!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

PS - I didn't buy a house until I was 33 years old. And I still retired at 52!
I didn't buy until my mid-40s! I envy your retirement...anyway, OP, if you don't want to buy one don't buy one.

But if you do decide to buy one to rent later, I feel areas near the universities (within a 15 minute or so drive) are probably good ideas - if you are willing to be a landlord to students.

I bought my small, 2br house knowing it would be enticing to Duke grad students should I decide to rent it out at some point. I could rent it easily, but have since decided that no way do I ever want to be a landlord and I'd instead sell it.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I bought my small, 2br house knowing it would be enticing to Duke grad students should I decide to rent it out at some point. I could rent it easily, but have since decided that no way do I ever want to be a landlord and I'd instead sell it.
Good decision!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 AM

5,873 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais3dByWolv3s View Post
In case it helps, I can afford up to about a $390k house.
You may have better luck renting with a lower priced house. Many of the potential renters that could afford the monthly rent on a $400k house may instead decide to buy.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Don't spend more than $125,000-$150,000 max on a rental property (that includes doing a full renvation to it as well). You start going much higher than that the rent you can charge will not go up by any similar percentage, it will be a diminshing return. Look for at least a 3 bed/2 bath single family home not in an HOA (don't want to have to pay any monthly fees). A decent 3 bed/2 bath home should rent for $1,400-$1,600 in good areas of downtown Raleigh and Durham. Altternatvely, a duplex would be a great option. Aim for 2 bed/1 bath each side and make sure you can make ~$1,000/side after the renovation. Again, being in downtown areas will be key. Since you are qualified for $390,000, use that to start a portfolio of 2-3 purchsaes.

The problem is though, finding these houses. If you are looking on the MLS or internet, it will never happen. You have to be resourceful and try to purchase homes off market in desirable areas.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 PM

23 posts, read 25,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Don't spend more than $125,000-$150,000 max on a rental property (that includes doing a full renvation to it as well). You start going much higher than that the rent you can charge will not go up by any similar percentage, it will be a diminshing return. Look for at least a 3 bed/2 bath single family home not in an HOA (don't want to have to pay any monthly fees). A decent 3 bed/2 bath home should rent for $1,400-$1,600 in good areas of downtown Raleigh and Durham. Altternatvely, a duplex would be a great option. Aim for 2 bed/1 bath each side and make sure you can make ~$1,000/side after the renovation. Again, being in downtown areas will be key. Since you are qualified for $390,000, use that to start a portfolio of 2-3 purchsaes.

The problem is though, finding these houses. If you are looking on the MLS or internet, it will never happen. You have to be resourceful and try to purchase homes off market in desirable areas.
Thanks. That's a very interesting answer. I see your point about diminishing returns.

I'm not sure how I'd get 3/2 for $150,000 inside the Beltline, though.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's a very interesting answer. I see your point about diminishing returns.

I'm not sure how I'd get 3/2 for $150,000 inside the Beltline, though.
The only way you're going to get something inside the belt line for that budget is to get a 2 bed/2 bath condo - there are a bunch around Cameron Village and the ones at Parkridge Lane/Brighthurst by St. Mary's & Wade that will go for around $200,000. Otherwise, you may luck out and see a 2 bed/1 bath house for under $300,000 ITB.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 PM

23 posts, read 25,517 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't know how it is.
Why do you wish to buy a house that you really don't want?
If you own a house, you build equity.

Houses offer a modicum of tax protection. You can deduct your mortgage interest and your property taxes. In certain circumstances you can deduct depreciation.

In some markets, there's potential for appreciation. If you rent, that hurts you financially. If you own, obviously it helps.

As a renter, you pay all the interest, property taxes, and maintenance costs as an owner (bundled together in one check and called "rent"), but you don't get any of the equity.

Stuff like that.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
If you own a house, you build equity.

Houses offer a modicum of tax protection. You can deduct your mortgage interest and your property taxes. In certain circumstances you can deduct depreciation.

In some markets, there's potential for appreciation. If you rent, that hurts you financially. If you own, obviously it helps.

As a renter, you pay all the interest, property taxes, and maintenance costs as an owner (bundled together in one check and called "rent"), but you don't get any of the equity.

Stuff like that.
You don't always build equity. The market fluctuates. There are repairs. There is maintenance.

I would not buy a house if I did not want to own one.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You don't always build equity. The market fluctuates. There are repairs. There is maintenance.

I would not buy a house if I did not want to own one.
Sure you could build equity - but once your HVAC system craps out and you need a new roof and hot water heater, you may or may not come out ahead as opposed to renting and investing the monetary difference. Not to mention the 6% commission you lose when you sell the house.

Last edited by pierretong1991; 06-03-2016 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary