Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times

Advertisements

So I went to a presentation today about the Dix Park advisory committee and a few precedents of similar destination parks were discussed. One recurring characteristic was that they are often near or part of a "cultural anchor." Zoos, museums, etc...

Assuming we don't move something pre-existing, what new "cultural anchor" do you think Raleigh needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
A MAJOR league baseball team. I suggest adopting (taking off our hands) the Rays.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
That's the main issue I see with Dix. It's too far away from the action of the central area of downtown, so it will compete with DT to some extent.

MLB isn't coming any time soon if ever. Maybe a soccer team. Maybe.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
A MAJOR league baseball team. I suggest adopting (taking off our hands) the Rays.
As much as I HATE this idea, I LOVE that you're making jokes,

Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's the main issue I see with Dix. It's too far away from the action of the central area of downtown, so it will compete with DT to some extent.
On the plus side, it will have a pedestrian connection to Pullen Park, NC State and the State Farmer's Market.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 AM

307 posts, read 377,926 times
Interesting question. I can't imagine another museum unless it's for something specific (think Coca-cola museum in Atlanta) because we already have history, science, and art. That area in Atlanta is actually probably a good comparison now that I think about it. Large park area in the middle with some small attractions then surrounded by a couple different museums/attractions.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:03 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
"Listen Raleigh your new city park is not enough we need another bond to subsidize a downtown sports team if you want to be successful"

Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM

253 posts, read 236,474 times
I could go for a small zoo or aquarium.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
On the plus side, it will have a pedestrian connection to Pullen Park, NC State and the State Farmer's Market.
All that's great and I'm sure it will be an excellent source for recreation, but I just have a hard time figuring out what else should go there. I assume they will move Red Hat amphitheater there and maybe increase the size just a bit, but as someone else mentioned, all the museums we would probably support are already in place.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
So I went to a presentation today about the Dix Park advisory committee and a few precedents of similar destination parks were discussed. One recurring characteristic was that they are often near or part of a "cultural anchor." Zoos, museums, etc...

Assuming we don't move something pre-existing, what new "cultural anchor" do you think Raleigh needs?
I don't think it's a requirement. Probably helpful, but not a requirement. It's already near Pullen (as mentioned), but why can't it just be a park that people enjoy? A destination of it's own?

Locally, I can think of Umstead. No anchor.
In Charlotte, there's Freedom Park. No anchor.

If they want to make it more attractive, then host events. Build a small band-shell there and host symphonies and fireworks on the fourth. Host some art events, put in walking trails, etc.

Having and preserving greenspace that close to DT is A-OK with me. I don't need the greenspace to be developed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary