Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Observations about North Carolina/Raleigh, low home prices, low cost of living, friendly polite residents, central location to beaches, mountains, slow paced

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 AM

74 posts, read 183,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
I have been here 6mths and a friend of mine 5mths and she has not been able to find a job. People are very prejudice telling her "go home Yankee" where you came from. She gets interviews and no offers. The better jobs are for the Southerners and for the Northerners nothing. I found a spot after 5 mths and lost it after one month how great is that. However, I was offered 4 weeks pay in advance and driven home and given a letter of recommendation. I was doing a good job but they are bringing back their previous employee. It's just a lot of stupid political stuff going on and I hate it. I didn't like working there in the first place. The point is I am unemployed. I went to BB & T last week on an interview and I am invited to return next week hopefully. I am looking forward to it it's a good firm. I have some funds to live on but I don't have family or else I would return home to NY. True it's more expensive but I dont plan on buying a house so it doesn't matter to me. I can't afford a house by myself no matter how low the taxes are. Maybe some day if I land a job fast enough and get out of debt but otherwise I don't know. First things first. In any event, these southerners are prejudice. Wish they would get off the boat the civil war is over. They blame transplants for their overcrowded school and their children get moved around a lot and classrooms are in trailors. So they are not happy campers.
I too have interviewed with BB & T, for a position that was just under my qualifications. The interview went very well, I thought. I am intelligent, self-confident, I asked pertinent questions, and anwered all theirs. My resume is excellent, so go figure. I was told that I would hear something this week but nothing yet. I sent thank you letters to each also. I understand that thing s dont move as quickly here so I wait. I may be back to square one, but I won't lose faith. It sure would be nice to have a job again however since I came down here at my husbands bequest and left a 19 year job to do it. AH Love!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
I have been here 6mths and a friend of mine 5mths and she has not been able to find a job. People are very prejudice telling her "go home Yankee" where you came from. She gets interviews and no offers. The better jobs are for the Southerners and for the Northerners nothing. I found a spot after 5 mths and lost it after one month how great is that. However, I was offered 4 weeks pay in advance and driven home and given a letter of recommendation. I was doing a good job but they are bringing back their previous employee. It's just a lot of stupid political stuff going on and I hate it. I didn't like working there in the first place. The point is I am unemployed. I went to BB & T last week on an interview and I am invited to return next week hopefully. I am looking forward to it it's a good firm. I have some funds to live on but I don't have family or else I would return home to NY. True it's more expensive but I dont plan on buying a house so it doesn't matter to me. I can't afford a house by myself no matter how low the taxes are. Maybe some day if I land a job fast enough and get out of debt but otherwise I don't know. First things first. In any event, these southerners are prejudice. Wish they would get off the boat the civil war is over. They blame transplants for their overcrowded school and their children get moved around a lot and classrooms are in trailors. So they are not happy campers.

My husband is a NC native and talks about "yankees" all the time. I swear, he works it in the conversation as much as possible. Yankees this, yankees that. Thankfully, I've lived here long enough (25 years) to be accepted by the natives.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'm a native and don't think I've ever even used the word "Yankee" in conversation before. None of my native family or friends have ever brought it up in conversation either, so I really don't know exactly where that comes from.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
i have been here 5 years. Unsure if Northern Va was considered "yankee" territory

I have met very few rude peple here and never been told to go back North. I suspect those who encounter rudeness are not used to the slower pace of life down here. Kinda nice to not get run over because you are doing the speed limit. Kinda nice to have the waiter/waitress/salesperson talk to you, not at you.

I feel for those who come down here and cant find a job. Of course I would suspect if you did that, you had enough reserves to live a while without an income. If not, get out to Mickey D's and sling burgers until you find something in your respective field.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
I work with some people that are still fighting the civil war. I just laugh at them when they try to bait me into that Yankee nonsense. It's so stupid.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
I've lived in the south my entire life. There are some words that I have never used, Yankee is one of them. I'm curious. Is this discrimination against relocations from the northern states limited to certain job industries? Geographical location within the Triangle? I'm asking because I don't know anyone that has lived in Raleigh since birth. If you guys are experiencing it, it's happening. But, I don't get it?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
golfgrl - BB&T is slow in their HR process. Depending on the level of job and your comfort level with the interviewer/hiring manager, you might want to shoot an email and ask for an update.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
I work with some people that are still fighting the civil war. I just laugh at them when they try to bait me into that Yankee nonsense. It's so stupid.
I've worked with the same kind of people too. These people do exist here, but it's more confined to South and East of Raleigh IMO. I laugh and move on. 99% of the people here have been friendly and welcoming.

I don;t agree with not getting run over if you're doing the speed limit. Have you ever driven on any of the main roads, 1, 70, 440, 540? People do drive extremely fast here, but no faster than most in the DC area. Major difference if a lot less turn signals (but that's been beaten to death already)

Overall I really like this area and plan to be here for the long haul.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM

171 posts, read 451,809 times
Being a Red Sox fan, it is good to hear that there aren't a lot of Yankee fans there

Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM

161 posts, read 464,524 times
Good for your Caliboy. I am kewl enough to want to return home to NYC. I am not into purchasing a home since I can't afford one no matter what part of the earth I live in. I just should have stood in NY. However, do I get interviews but no offers as of yet. It's just a lot of things I don't like. However, regardless I have to work so I can return to NY. At least in NY there is always something to do people walking around the park, concerts, activities, puppet shows, and it's all free. The museums are beautiful here they are a joke. Therefore, I am just about ready to go back. I don't know how long it will take but I hope to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary