Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times

Advertisements

Our rising 6th grader is going to East Cary Middle School in a few weeks. We must have misread the WCPSS website regarding after-school care, as it was a surprise to us to learn that this school is only offering an off-site option. The kids are bused to the Cary Family YMCA location near Bond Park. Unfortunately, we live in the opposite direction. . . . .all the way down near the intersection of Ten-Ten and Lake Wheeler Road.

Our rising 2nd grader is going to Adams Elementary, which is only a half mile away from East Cary Middle, and the YMCA offers an on-site after-school program there.

Besides spending an extra 30-45 minutes in the car each evening driving from Adams to pick up younger son, and then going all the way over to Cary Family YMCA to pick up older son, and then back, what other options do we have for after-school care for our 6th grader?

We could let him take the bus home and spend 2+ hours at home by himself, but I'm not sure he is ready for that level of responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Our rising 6th grader is going to East Cary Middle School in a few weeks. We must have misread the WCPSS website regarding after-school care, as it was a surprise to us to learn that this school is only offering an off-site option. The kids are bused to the Cary Family YMCA location near Bond Park. Unfortunately, we live in the opposite direction. . . . .all the way down near the intersection of Ten-Ten and Lake Wheeler Road.

Our rising 2nd grader is going to Adams Elementary, which is only a half mile away from East Cary Middle, and the YMCA offers an on-site after-school program there.

Besides spending an extra 30-45 minutes in the car each evening driving from Adams to pick up younger son, and then going all the way over to Cary Family YMCA to pick up older son, and then back, what other options do we have for after-school care for our 6th grader?

We could let him take the bus home and spend 2+ hours at home by himself, but I'm not sure he is ready for that level of responsibility.
Check to see how fast the bus would get to your house. He might not be there alone as long as you think.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Check to see how fast the bus would get to your house. He might not be there alone as long as you think.
School lets out at 2:15, and judging from the current bus route, he would be the absolute last stop on the bus route, so I'm guessing about an hour ride, which would get him home by 3:30. He'd be home by himself for nearly 2 hours. While I realize that there are many kids out there who are certainly mature/responsible enough to handle this, based on past behavior, I'm not convinced that my son is one of them.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
School lets out at 2:15, and judging from the current bus route, he would be the absolute last stop on the bus route, so I'm guessing about an hour ride, which would get him home by 3:30. He'd be home by himself for nearly 2 hours. While I realize that there are many kids out there who are certainly mature/responsible enough to handle this, based on past behavior, I'm not convinced that my son is one of them.
You might want to see if any high schoolers in your neighborhood provide afternoon sitting services, maybe?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You might want to see if any high schoolers in your neighborhood provide afternoon sitting services, maybe?
Unfortunately, we live in a small neighborhood and there is only 1 highschooler, and she stays late for sports quite often.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
Sometimes other options exist than the Y, for example I see tae kwon do and art buses picking kids up at school near us. You may also see if any stay at home parents you know are looking for extra income.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Check with the middle school to see what is offered after school. Maybe you can rig together some club memberships or after school tutoring (our middle school has that twice a week but you do need to sign up).

Our middle school gets out at 3:00. We are less than two miles away and my youngest gets home at 3:30. Middle school buses usually wait a good 15 minutes before leaving campus. However I hear you on not completely trusting the child. You may need to hire a local high school student or college student even if they don't live in your neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Sometimes other options exist than the Y, for example I see tae kwon do and art buses picking kids up at school near us. You may also see if any stay at home parents you know are looking for extra income.
We checked with the school, and their only suggestion was the KinderCare across the street. Last thing I'd want if I was in middle school would be for the KinderCare short bus to take me across the street.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Check with the middle school to see what is offered after school. Maybe you can rig together some club memberships or after school tutoring (our middle school has that twice a week but you do need to sign up).
He won't need tutoring as he is a bright kid. Perhaps he can be the tutor though.

I looked at the clubs, and most meet only once per week, so he would need to sign up for nearly all of the clubs. . . . . and hopefully they don't meet on the same days of the week. They finish clubs at 4pm, so then he would have to take the activity bus to a subdivision that is about a 5-10 min drive from us and arrives there at 5:30pm.

I'm beginning to think that it is preferable to have him just ride the bus and risk him burning the house down some afternoon. He's had his share of bus riding problems though, which is why we've driven him to school all the time.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Dude you're missing the point. If they have tutoring it is someplace he can go and do his homework instead of being home alone for a few hours.
I'm sure a bright kid like him can figure out to follow your directions about to be home alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary