Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 29,250 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I hope I could get some good advise here on this wonderful forum.

I currently live in Delaware, work in the pharmaceutical industry and I am thinking of relocating to either Texas or North Carolina. I am not sure which state is better based on my line of work in the pharmaceutical industry. I have young children and being able to work in my field will be ideal. I am having a hard time deciding which state is better to move to. My husband prefer Texas but I am not so sure. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I searched indeed.com for work and my area of work is more in North Carolina than Texas. How easy is it to find job in the pharmaceutical industry in Texas if anyone have had the experience and if they can share. Most of the Regulatory Affairs position I see in Texas is for UT. I am used to working for Pharma and not academia.

Thank you,
Kenni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyv View Post
Dear All,

I hope I could get some good advise here on this wonderful forum.

I currently live in Delaware, work in the pharmaceutical industry and I am thinking of relocating to either Texas or North Carolina. I am not sure which state is better based on my line of work in the pharmaceutical industry. I have young children and being able to work in my field will be ideal. I am having a hard time deciding which state is better to move to. My husband prefer Texas but I am not so sure. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I searched indeed.com for work and my area of work is more in North Carolina than Texas. How easy is it to find job in the pharmaceutical industry in Texas if anyone have had the experience and if they can share. Most of the Regulatory Affairs position I see in Texas is for UT. I am used to working for Pharma and not academia.

Thank you,
Kenni
You're probably going to find more work in Reg in Delaware/NJ/PHL areas.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Thank you for the comments. I agree that there are more Regulatory work in PA/NJ but not so sure of Delaware as I currently live there and nothing is coming through. I am living in these surrounding areas currently, but I would like to have a change of environment. I heard cost of living is much cheaper in North Carolina and Texas with good school. I want to make sure I would be able to be employed and with great schools for my kids.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
The City vs City forum is set up for comparisons of different cities in different states. Posting in the NC forum won't give you much info about Dallas.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
We moved from the Dallas area to NC within the last year and I can share a few things with you. I do not know much about the pharma industry but I have seen more pharmaceutical companies in the Triangle then I had seen in the DFW area.

The cost of housing in DFW is slightly less than the Triangle but the property taxes are definitely higher in DFW. There is no income tax in Texas - in general taxes come out a wash between the two states. Food is slightly less in DFW but electricity is higher - mainly because you are running your AC 9-10 months out of the year. The one area that I have found to be better in Texas are the schools (as long as you are in a good ISD). There are definitely some ISD's I would not send my kids to. In NC the schools are run by county (except in a few instances i.e. Chapel Hill/Carrboro). Wake County is a huge district with a lot of schools. Personally, I think that NC does not put the money into the schools that they should. All in all though, my kids really are not suffering and will be going to college all the same.

As for quality of life, if you like to be out of doors and your kids like outdoor sports - NC can not be beat. It is absolutely beautiful in NC. The only rise in the terrain in the DFW area are the overpasses. Unless, you are in the Austin/Hill country area Texas is fairly flat. Dallas is pretty brown except for the 2 standard trees every house has in the front yard and the grass that must be watered regularly. DFW is hot, hot, hot! NC has humidity, but honestly the humidity in NC does not make it as hot as the DFW area.

One last thing, DFW whips the pants off NC as far as good, quality mexican food and BBQ! There, I said it! Brisket done right is soo much better than the pulled pork that they do in NC.

In summary, both places have been great for our family. We did really love our community in DFW and we are really liking it here in the Triangle. I have always gone by the thought "love the one your with" and have been happy wherever I have lived.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 06-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Good one JPKM, as DFW was an option for us at one point.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
I lived in Dallas and while there is everything there to do, it is way too hot in the Summer (30 days over 100) and too cold in the Winter (ice storms). Flat and basically uninteresting terrain. Have friends who live in Los Colinas and are moving to the West Coast. That would be a choice.
I prefer Austin to Dallas.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I was born and raised in Raleigh, but currently live in the DFW area.

Weather is fairly similar, but Texas will have more days of hotter temps. I've been comparing temperatures and so far this year, DFW is a few degrees hotter. I haven't lived here in the winter, so I cannot comment on that, but I'd imagine that NC has chances of more snow.

There is lots to do in DFW, definitely more than in Raleigh. It's nice having both Dallas and Fort Worth. We have sports, museums, shopping, and several other tourist attractions. You'll quickly run out of attractions in Raleigh. The food in DFW is the most diverse I've ever seen.

However, my biggest complaint about DFW is the scenery. It's very boring here. Most of Raleigh is beautiful with trees, parks, ponds/lakes. Dallas feels like nothing but highways, roads, and concrete with a few trees mixed in.

I think Raleigh is a nice mix of big city feel, scenery, and amenities.

For me, the most important thing is location. From Raleigh, I could be at the beach in a few hours, Washington DC for a long weekend trip, and NYC for a 5 day trip. You can't really go anywhere from DFW except for other cities in Texas. Places like New Orleans, Arizona, New Mexico are all a long drive.

Overall, I'm not sure if DFW is the right place for me. But for now, it's great. Interestingly enough, the place I visited that I loved the most was Minneapolis. There are few places I've visited where I tell myself "I could see myself living here". The Twin Cities was one of them. My only complaint would be the winter weather.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I had lived in Southeast Raleigh for one year after moving from New Jersey. I loved it there and was planning to buy a house in North Raleigh or Wake Forest. When I moved there in 2012, my job from NJ allowed me to work from home for few months. After the job ended in November I had a had time finding a job in my field within Pharmaceutical Research within RTP. I got a 6 months contract but the pay was not much. I was busy comparing the salary from NJ to NC and it did not measure up. I convinced my husband to move back to the Northeast and now regretted it. I moved to Delaware with a contract job. I thought living in Delaware, close to PA and MD, NJ will be able to get a job and live comfortable in DE. Unfortunately, companies seems to care about my location and not even considering me for an interview in PA (My thought). Companies want me to relocate to NJ. NJ cost of living is too high and not even thinking of it. I told my husband to move back to NC as the job market is moving up in the RTP, cheaper homes and good school for the children. I regretted the move to DE. He is considering going to Texas but I have not seen much of Pharma/Regulatory affair position in TX. Also, I will need to sell my house in DE. This is why I am asking for opinions and advise on both states. I have gathered so much and I am hoping to get more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary