Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

My Wife & I live right outside of Charlotte, and we like it here. Even so, I miss living on the ocean.

I don't miss "the beach life;" I miss the smell of salt water in the air, the sound of waves, etc.

All of this has me wondering about Raleigh, which would put us a lot closer to the ocean.

How does Raleigh compare to Charlotte, culturally?

Charlotte's a New South city, and that's reflected in it's light rail projects, excellent greenways, etc. But Charlotte's also a city of transplants (myself included), so it can be a little hectic at times.

Just outside of Charlotte is the traditional South with far fewer transplants; reflecting Southern culture, customs, and values - and we appreciate Southern hospitality, small town friendliness, and more relaxed pace of life.

Compared with what I've written, how does Raleigh compare?

Also of interest, is how is the area building itself out? I don't mind the density of Charlotte, but some of Charlotte's suburbs are building at a feverish pace, without the infrastructure to support it. In this I mean no mass transit to speak of; roads with an inadequate number of lanes; buildings right up on the road (preventing future road widening).

Is Raleigh keeping it's development in a way that's measured?

Finally, what parts of the City are safest? Are there areas within the City that are rural?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
Raleigh really isn't that close to the ocean...still 2+ hours a way depending on which beach you go to so don't expect to smell the salt air or anything here. It's not too far but it's definitely not close either (which you probably already know).

Not sure about culturally comparing but there is little public transportation in Raleigh that's reliable. We do have the city buses but the time my husband tried to use them it took him over an hour to get downtown which could be accomplished in a 10 min drive. Seriously. They may have changed the route since then but I wouldn't depend on it. We do have greenway trails that go for miles and are great for biking/running/walking but not very practical to ride a bike to work on.

Raleigh is booming development-wise and I wouldn't say it's particularly well controlled. There are several roads I can think of that just aren't equipped to handle the traffic they're getting now but it's also not horrible like LA traffic. At rush hour you can expect some delays, if you can avoid RTP that helps. The schools are being built as quickly as possible but are still struggling to keep up with the growth. Many are now multi-track year rounds so they can accommodate more students. We're in one and really like it but they do move classrooms every time they track in and out. Not sure if you have kids or are planning to but worth knowing.

Most of Raleigh is very safe. Southeast Raleigh is probably the least safe if I had to make a generalized statement. Also Durham can be bad in parts. As for safest? Probably North Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Chapel Hill.

I would suggest visiting and checking it out.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Raleigh really isn't that close to the ocean...still 2+ hours a way depending on which beach you go to so don't expect to smell the salt air or anything here. It's not too far but it's definitely not close either (which you probably already know).

Not sure about culturally comparing but there is little public transportation in Raleigh that's reliable. We do have the city buses but the time my husband tried to use them it took him over an hour to get downtown which could be accomplished in a 10 min drive. Seriously. They may have changed the route since then but I wouldn't depend on it. We do have greenway trails that go for miles and are great for biking/running/walking but not very practical to ride a bike to work on.

Raleigh is booming development-wise and I wouldn't say it's particularly well controlled. There are several roads I can think of that just aren't equipped to handle the traffic they're getting now but it's also not horrible like LA traffic. At rush hour you can expect some delays, if you can avoid RTP that helps. The schools are being built as quickly as possible but are still struggling to keep up with the growth. Many are now multi-track year rounds so they can accommodate more students. We're in one and really like it but they do move classrooms every time they track in and out. Not sure if you have kids or are planning to but worth knowing.

Most of Raleigh is very safe. Southeast Raleigh is probably the least safe if I had to make a generalized statement. Also Durham can be bad in parts. As for safest? Probably North Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Chapel Hill.

I would suggest visiting and checking it out.
I appreciate your very helpful reply . As to towns in the Raleigh region that might reflect the traditional South (where the pace is laid back, people are small town friendly, manners, etc.) any ideas of where to look?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:09 PM

326 posts, read 384,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I appreciate your very helpful reply . As to towns in the Raleigh region that might reflect the traditional South (where the pace is laid back, people are small town friendly, manners, etc.) any ideas of where to look?
Pittsboro, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Wake Forest, Holly Springs in that order. You might add Fuquay Varina and Garner to that list, though I'm not that familiar with them. Any semblance of traditional south has completely been squeezed out of Morrisville, Cary, and Apex.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
Agreed. Also parts of "ITB" have that southern charm but it will cost you an arm and a leg (and maybe other body parts too).

Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
Pittsboro, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Wake Forest, Holly Springs in that order. You might add Fuquay Varina and Garner to that list, though I'm not that familiar with them. Any semblance of traditional south has completely been squeezed out of Morrisville, Cary, and Apex.
Appreciate the info . It's been several years since i've been to Apex...shocked to see it on the list.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Charlotte's a New South city, and that's reflected in it's light rail projects, excellent greenways, etc. But Charlotte's also a city of transplants (myself included), so it can be a little hectic at times.

Just outside of Charlotte is the traditional South with far fewer transplants; reflecting Southern culture, customs, and values - and we appreciate Southern hospitality, small town friendliness, and more relaxed pace of life.

Compared with what I've written, how does Raleigh compare?
Based on these two things, it's all true of Raleigh just as with Charlotte.

Quote:
Finally, what parts of the City are safest? Are there areas within the City that are rural?
Most parts of the city are safe--South and East of downtown least so, but it's easy to tell when you're getting into a sketchy area.

No, "within the city" and "rural" are oxymorons. In fact, I've never seen a rural area "within a city", though every now and then you can come across a small area that's not as built-up or new as the parts just a couple of blocks away. (Odd question??)

If you're in Charlotte, it's an easy day trip to Raleigh--you'll learn a lot more by spending a weekend here than asking these questions.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I think Wake Forest and Holly Springs are almost past the point of still being "Southern". Carrboro is mostly students and grad students, isn't it? I would never call it "Southern" although I love the culture there--it's like the "Berkeley of the Southeast".

Look east of Raleigh, in places like Knightdale or Zebulon, for places that are still "small townish" but near Raleigh. And Garner, for a few more years, anyway.

OP, places like the Triangle that are growing like gangbusters are losing their old character. If you want to get away from Charlotte to a place that is urban but more Southern, try the Triad cities, like Greensboro and Winston-Salem. But if you want to be both near the ocean and in/near a city, you might need to look outside NC at places like Richmond, VA (modernizing city, very Southern around it, much closer to the coast than Raleigh).

Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Or Wilmington or Charleston if you want to be close to the coast.

Raleigh and Charlotte have more similarities than differences. They are both growing by leaps and bounds and full of transplants.

Charlotte is a little more big city, and business oriented with the financial industry and also more pro sports. Raleigh and the Triangle in general is a little more academic with the flagship universities, more medically oriented with the best hospitals in the state (yes, significantly better than Charlotte's), more tech and bio-tech and pharma. Charlotte has tech, too, but there's more of it in Raleigh. More folks with advanced degrees here than in Charlotte.

Raleigh is about the same distance from the coast that Charlotte is from the mountains (Asheville and Blowing Rock/Boone).

Old 07-21-2016, 02:07 PM

326 posts, read 384,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think Wake Forest and Holly Springs are almost past the point of still being "Southern". Carrboro is mostly students and grad students, isn't it? I would never call it "Southern" although I love the culture there--it's like the "Berkeley of the Southeast".
I know what you mean about WF and HS; I almost took them off my list because the recent population growth in those two towns is quickly eroding the old southern charm they have. Personally, I still think there's part of Carrboro outside of the student population that fits the bill of small, friendly and southern but I can see where you're coming from. Maybe I'm think more of the rural area on the outskirts of Carrboro rather than downtown Carrboro which is closer to the student population. Carrboro is definitely not as small, friendly and southern as Pittsboro or Hillsborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary