Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk View Post
give me a few dollars and i'll set your lawn on fire.

** dpk's "set yo lawn on fire yo" service is not guaranteed to actually remove your lawn and may result in significant damage to your and your neighbors property. It does come with a complimentary smore kit though, so there is that.
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM

261 posts, read 307,715 times
Kill it yourself using vinegar solutions, plenty of recipes on the web. Doubt any landscaping companies would not use roundup or an equivalent solution.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 AM

756 posts, read 836,532 times
I have used the vinegar myself on weeds and on patches that I want gone. It definitely works! You could cover it after the application and speed it up.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:27 AM

250 posts, read 694,462 times
Renorel,

Thanks for your interest in killing your grass without using Roundup or other harsh chemicals.

I would like to note:

• Some non-chemical methods for killing grass can kill both good (e.g., beneficial microbes, earthworms) and bad things (e.g., destructive grubs) in the soil. These methods include solarization, boiling water, and vinegar. I’m not sure to what extent, if any, paper sheeting with layers of mulch will do this. To me, this doesn’t mean avoiding these methods, but it does mean that actively restoring the good things in the soil will help your microclover grow "better faster," although organic methods are somewhat slow compared to chemical methods.

• The absolute best approach I know for restoring the good things in the soil are steps used in establishing an organic lawn, in particular, spreading a light layer of a good compost to re-introduce beneficial microbes and applying organic fertilizers, such as cotton seed mill. Organic fertilizers feed the microrobes, that in turn, make soil nutrients available to the grassroots -- and microclover roots.

Roundup. Since the question of the safety of Roundup has been raised in this thread, I want to add a link to an article that discusses a newly published review of scientific literature (Jun 2016) that indicates “glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto's popular herbicide, alters DNA function that correlates to a number of diseases,” including diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

Monsanto's Roundup Weedkiller Linked to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and ALS | Alternet

Also, I’m sending you a link to my favorite brief intro to organic lawns in case you’re interested in more info on how to apply the compost and organic fertilizer. I’m not posting it here because it may be on a C-D competitor site.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I have a dog I'm happy to lend who loves to kill grass .

Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Ha isn't that the truth! I have a couple as well.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Now if you were offing a goat to eat poison ivy, I would be the first taker!

OP I have a "natural" area loaded with invasive and undesirable greenery. My plan is to tarp it then cover with pine straw. The tarp does work. I was told to use a clear plastic because it creates a greenhouse effect under the plastic and smothers the plants but to be honest, I think a black plastic would be just as effective.

I do not use round up in my yard, there are other options.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Now if you were offing a goat to eat poison ivy, I would be the first taker!

OP I have a "natural" area loaded with invasive and undesirable greenery. My plan is to tarp it then cover with pine straw. The tarp does work. I was told to use a clear plastic because it creates a greenhouse effect under the plastic and smothers the plants but to be honest, I think a black plastic would be just as effective.

I do not use round up in my yard, there are other options.

you can rent a goat to do that! I forget where but I looked into it to eat ivy at our old house. Ultimately didn't do it because we wound up moving.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,566 times
That article in Scientific American originally ran at Environmental Health News, a news source published by Environmental Health Sciences, a nonprofit media company. Not considered a peer reviewed article. There have been no scientifically substantiated reports of adverse human effects (commonly called 6a2's) reported from the use of glyphosate (or GMO's, for that matter). The EPA even concluded that glyphosate was safe!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
There's a big difference between something not causing adverse human effects and being considered "Environmentally Friendly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary