Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 AM

76 posts, read 220,138 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I live in Garner and have for the past 4 years. We have a 2400 sq. ft home (furnished basement and 1st floor).

I've kept every bill since we've moved in, and we run average $180 a month (lower in spring & summer (150-160) / higher in winter (220)). Last July (2015) it was $166.85, but the bill I got yesterday for this July and it was for $273.91!!!

Now I know it can be a ton of factors. We run our A/C at 76 (avg. I am guessing). Our lights are all LED, a few florescent. No issues with appliances. We keep our HVAC maintained (twice a year cleaning of condensers and all). Nothing has really changed in our use or patterns.

March and April were $155 and $151. Normal for us. May was $178, a little high. June was $ $233 - high. Then last month (28 day cycle even) was the $273.91. We've never hit that since we lived here.

Has anyone else noticed an increase... or do you think something may be wrong? I can't think of what would be causing this. Yes, we had a few hot and muggy days... but I wouldn't expect it to go up that much.

Duke will come out to your home for an inspection, but when I called they said they were full for our area and I'd have to try again later. In the mean time I'm going crazy trying to find the vampire electronics and save a few cents... but I am guessing that it won't save me $80 in a month

Anyhow... I'm just trying to think of why it might have increased by what... a third from what it'd normally be at. Almost $100 over this time last year.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
In the mean time I'm going crazy trying to find the vampire electronics and save a few cents...
Sorry to hear about your situation. Has anyone been leaving windows open? Are there leaks in your weather-stripping? Could there be a failure of the insulation, especially in the attic? It could have gotten wet, or been dug up by squirrels.

If you don't already have an attic fan, they can also help.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-09-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM

76 posts, read 220,138 times
Thanks for the reply... yes we have 2 attic fans. I can hear them when I am in the garage, so I know they're still working (both new when we bought the house as the old were burned out).

As for windows - no, nothing open. And if the kids tried to open them, we'd hear the alarm chime I have terrible allergies, so I and they know to keep them closed.

The insulation does suck... the house was built in the 70's and it's a very small attic, dark and hard to get into, lol. There is that blown-in pinkish evil fiberglass insulation up there. Doesn't look like it's been touched in 40 years. When I win the lotto, I'd love to have it replaced... but I haven't heard or seen any critters up there.

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM

333 posts, read 287,444 times
It's been hot.

I just looked at my bills, and my bill was 30 per cent more for the one ending mid July, than the one ending mid-June. So it doesn't seem irrationally high to me...Like you I keep my A/C at 76, during the day, and for a few hours at night at 72.

FWIW, mine was lower this year than last year...but last year I moved here in June, the doors were open a lot with the moving and coming and going, and I hadn't figured out a system, so the comparison won't work for me.

Good luck sorting this out. Soon it will cool off!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
My bill was higher than usual for July. I am on Wake electric so it's not a power company thing. I figured because it was so dang hot.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
Ours was high too...but we've combatted that by keeping our house at 78 now, 80 during the day and 75 upstairs only at night. Might be worth a shot.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:09 AM

62 posts, read 131,472 times
A couple months ago mine also spiked up with no explanation and then went back down?? Maybe this is Duke's way of getting more money out of us to help pay for the coal ash clean-up...

Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
Humidity factors in as well. We had high heat and humidity a few weeks ago. I've yet to receive my July bill but the June bill was $62 less than last year's June bill. Some things to consider:
*filters. I use the cheap green fiberglass filters during the non-pollen months. I firmly believe the house cools easier in the summer with this better air flow.
*attic fans. If you have a ridge vent system you do not need fans. No ridge vent: If you have an open gable fan in the same attic area and your house has soffit vents then you are pulling air in from the gable and not up from the soffit where the air is cooler.
* If you have a good ac system adjust the time that you start cooling down for sleep. When I had weak systems I used to start my cool down at 6:00 pm to get the house at 69 by 11:00. My setback is now set down one degree at 7:15pm and 3 more degrees at 8:45pm. (house is at 73 during the day, 69 at night). 2250 sq/ft home.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,219,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post

I live in Garner and have for the past 4 years. We have a 2400 sq. ft home (furnished basement and 1st floor).

I've kept every bill since we've moved in, and we run average $180 a month (lower in spring & summer (150-160) / higher in winter (220)). Last July (2015) it was $166.85, but the bill I got yesterday for this July and it was for $273.91!!!
Is the house 4 years old? The HVAC system?

July has been hot with one day breaking the record of electric usage in the state. It's not surprising that bills come in higher for the month of July. You cannot look at the past and say...well my bill will average $180 per month for ever. HVAC systems leak coolant, internal components lose efficiency, weather proofing (windows, doors) lose their seal. Stuff happens.

My old HVAC broke and I replaced it in June (it was 15 years old ). The efficiency of the new system is amazing. July was actually one of the lowest bills I've ever had, and I kept the house 2 degrees cooler than with the old system.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
OP: If you have an on-line account with Duke you will have access to historical data and charts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary