Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So many people are plagued with issues from those modem/router combos - they're junk. Cable companies could probably cut their support calls in half if they just got rid of those things.
I actually haven't had any issues with it. I had an Asus router prior to it that for some reason started not working. I updated the firmware on it and still nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM

76 posts, read 56,554 times
I'm on a TWC Ultimate 200 plan (200up/20down), Linksys LRT214 router with SB6183 modem, all wired with Gigabit ethernet. Very happy with the speed:

The router is a huge factor, especially with high throughput. I had a cheapskate router temporarily when we moved in, and could barely move 70 Mbps on the same connection.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM

9 posts, read 6,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I have the "Surfboard" SBG6700 bought off eBay which is an integrated modem and router combo and got this today. I'm on the Earthlink $29.95 plan, which goes to $41.95 after 12 months.

I wanted a "clean" install with just one device but I think for my next router I'm buying one with some huge high powered antennas. I've found the biggest determination of speed is A) using 5 ghz band (2.4 ghz I get SUPER SLOW speed) and B) signal strength.

Don't forget distance from the router as well. Some routers experience significant drops in speed, even on the 5ghz band, in as few as 30ft. Some of those drops bring the 5ghz band in line with 2.4ghz speeds.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:37 AM

75 posts, read 64,978 times
FYI. Starting in January when the charter/twc merger is finalized, customer supplied devices (modems/routers) will no longer be allowed. Learned that from twc phone rep as I recently downgraded from whole house dvr bundle to
save money- was paying $173! They could not give me any of the new customer promos so I'm trying to cut as much as possible. Anybody know much about sling tv?

Old 08-30-2016, 04:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwadt View Post
FYI. Starting in January when the charter/twc merger is finalized, customer supplied devices (modems/routers) will no longer be allowed. Learned that from twc phone rep as I recently downgraded from whole house dvr bundle to
save money- was paying $173! They could not give me any of the new customer promos so I'm trying to cut as much as possible. Anybody know much about sling tv?
Is this for real? So we will be stuck "leasing" a modem from now on? Ridiculous, especially since I just bought a nice modem/router combo!

I have SlingTV, it works well. $21/month after taxes for the tier I have. I buy it three months at a time and get a free Roku2 device, then resell on eBay for around $40. So that makes the monthly cost around $7. Good deal while it lasts.

I am addicted to slashing monthly recurring bills, and we dumped cable TV in January. Use a cheapie flat GE antenna to pull in all the local cables (NBC, Fox, ABC, etc.) and Sling for the general entertainment channel surfing.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwadt View Post
Here is a story on the topic
Charter blocked customer-owned modems for two years, must pay fine | Ars Technica

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
Test with fast.com. It's run by Netflix and will give you a more realistic picture. Unfortunately the cable companies give unrestricted connections to speedtest.net, so it tends to inflate your speeds. Since fast.com is run by Netflix, the cable companies would have to give unrestricted connections to Netflix, which isn't in their best interest.

Speedtest.net developer Ookla confirms Myce's ISP speed test manipulation article - Myce.com

Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM

33 posts, read 29,354 times
Default Setup

Netgear CM500-100NAS 680 Mbps (300 Mbps)

CM500 | Cable Modems & Routers | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless AC Router N600 + AC1300 Mbps

Linksys WRT1200AC AC1200 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router

Netgear EX6150-100NAS Range Extender

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM

197 posts, read 208,467 times
Default In Durham

I just started 50Mbps service just a month ago. I have my own modem/router combo SBG6580. Just now I got DL speed 59Mbps on speedtest.net and 57Mbps on fast.com. I'm pleasantly surprised that I got the speed slightly more than what's promised. So, I don't understand this comment at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So many people are plagued with issues from those modem/router combos - they're junk. Cable companies could probably cut their support calls in half if they just got rid of those things.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:38 AM

121 posts, read 177,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Test with fast.com. It's run by Netflix and will give you a more realistic picture. Unfortunately the cable companies give unrestricted connections to speedtest.net, so it tends to inflate your speeds. Since fast.com is run by Netflix, the cable companies would have to give unrestricted connections to Netflix, which isn't in their best interest.

Speedtest.net developer Ookla confirms Myce's ISP speed test manipulation article - Myce.com
I'm on a 200/20 plan from TWC with a SMC D3CM1604 modem and Apple Time Capsule. Fast.com shows 240Mbps down for me while Speedtest shows little bit slower.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary