Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your fireplace preference?
I want a woodburning fireplace where I can build a proper fire. 22 30.56%
I prefer gas logs, an insert in a woodburning fireplace, so I can do either. 8 11.11%
I prefer a dedicated gas log fireplace unit. 27 37.50%
I will take either one. 3 4.17%
I don't care about a fireplace for me, but think I need it for resale. 8 11.11%
I don't want any fireplace. I would rather have the space. 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:03 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

I'm torn. I love a real fire, but I'm incapable of getting them started without lighter fluid (don't ask). DH has to get them going. I'm also not cleaning up that mess, so he's on the hook for that, too. So if we had a wood fireplace again, the day he croaked would be the last day the fireplace was used.

Hence, we have gas.

I admit that I was relieved that the builder didn't offer wood when we buiit in 2012. It woukd have been an ugly argument. But i doubt we would have bought a house without one. Hell, all three houses I owned in Phoenix had fireplaces and all were used frequently.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-30-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I picked the "seems good for retail" option because I'm afraid to light them.

I know, but I have a family member whose house burned down.

Anyway, they seem to be a plus - are they?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
I don't have time to tend to a real fire at this point in my life, so gas wins out for convenience sake. Also, my uncle's woodstove caught one side of his house on fire last year, even though the flue was regularly cleaned, so those things make me a bit nervous.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
This summed up my thoughts before I got a chance to try

I love the smell, crackle, and quirks of an old school wood fire, but I don't like the commitment, the maintenance, the mess, the wood storage, etc.

The smell of anything (good or bad) loses its luster quickly as the nose adapts. I have smelled gas fireplaces before but I think they were improperly installed (and even if they do smell the owner probably gets used to it and cannot smell it after the first day or so). I have also seen gas fireplaces that had poor heat output and didn't add a lot of ambiance / character to the room, but I have also seen good gas fireplace installs that had plenty of heat and beauty.

But at the end of it all, in this area at least, gas fireplaces end up winning, because the beauty and ambiance is easily achievable, cost to operate is laughably low, heat output is typically more than adequate (since they are usually not the only source of heat in the home), and most homeowners do not want to regularly invest time in the startup and wind-down of a real fire.

Convenience wins out in this case. Some of these ceramic logs are visually indistinguishable to the naked eye, and are a joy to own. There's nothing less real about the actual fire. Only less trees killed.
Does anyone know what % of firewood is harvested from old growth forests which will not be renewed? I'm not sure if it's like paper, where if we didn't use the paper, the tree wouldn't be planted.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 AM

544 posts, read 852,196 times
First house was wood-burning with a gas burner. (Use the burner to start your wood, shut off the gas.)

Second house has gas logs. I never use them. They would turn the back of the house into an oven.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You gotta commit to wood, where with gas you can just use the thing for 20 minutes if you want.

Obviously the real deal is better, but you can't beat the convenience of gas.

Gas fireplace inside, wood fire pit outside.
This exactly!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
I have a wood burning fireplace now but have not used it in many years. Sick of fighting the down-drafts to get it started. Who knows, may be that the design is at fault since the the roof peak is higher than the chimney. This year--gas logs.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,440 times
I would just as well have none at all. Given the short cold season down here, it just takes up a lot of wall space that could otherwise put to better use. We have a wood burning and have used it like three times in the ten years we have lived in the house. If we had gas logs I imagine we would use it more because of the convenience. Last year I had thought about firing it up Christmas Eve, but as we had the air conditioning running it didn't seem to make much sense.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 3,385 times
I had a wood stove in my house in Vermont and burned wood religiously every fall/winter/spring for nearly 15 years. There's nothing like the smell, sound, look and feel of a wood fire.

But like m378 said, you have to commit to it. Wood is heavy, takes up space to store, has to dry and be kept dry, the ashes get everywhere and there's a lot of maintenance to do on the stove/fireplace/chimney. For several years I cut, split and dried my own firewood from trees around my house. I saved a lot of money doing that, but it's a tremendous amount of work and requires more equipment than an average homeowner would be willing to have.

Now that I live in NC I have a gas fireplace and use it maybe a handful of times in the winter. I miss my wood stove.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I picked the "seems good for retail" option because I'm afraid to light them.

I know, but I have a family member whose house burned down.

Anyway, they seem to be a plus - are they?
Sort of like the garden tub, soaker tub, spa tub, that no one wants but everyone buys for resale?

Actually, I rarely have someone tell me that a fireplace is on their list of wants, needs, or gotta-haves.
It would be hard to put much value in one, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary