Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 10,278 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to the triangle in a month, and I'm thinking about Weston Lakeside apartments which is on Weston Parkway beside Lake Crabtree. I was wondering what the approximate commute time would be to RTP. I was told that taking I-40 was not a good idea at rush hour and to take the back roads (Chapel hill road to S Miami Blvd). I think the total distance would be around 15 miles. I also heard rush hour clears up around 6pm, which would be good, though I'm not sure about the morning.

My other choice is a place 4 miles away, but it would be nice to be beside Crabtree and Umstead park if the commute is not too brutal.

Thanks,

Cisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I think that would be a great location to live. Gives you a lot of choices to commute depending on where you work. Even 40 from Aviation on into the Park is doable. What you really want to avoid is the stretch from Aviation to the Wade split as in the evenings.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnclov View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to the triangle in a month, and I'm thinking about Weston Lakeside apartments which is on Weston Parkway beside Lake Crabtree. I was wondering what the approximate commute time would be to RTP. I was told that taking I-40 was not a good idea at rush hour and to take the back roads (Chapel hill road to S Miami Blvd). I think the total distance would be around 15 miles. I also heard rush hour clears up around 6pm, which would be good, though I'm not sure about the morning.
15 miles? You must be at the north end of RTP then because the south end is only about 6 or 7 miles away.

I used to live at the intersection of Weston Parkway and Chapel Hill (54). My commute was 6 miles and it took about 15 minutes. I usually tried to hit it at the early part of rush hour to miss most of the really bad traffic. The worst road to get on is Davis Dr north of Morrisville Carpenter Rd. Chapel Hill (54) also gets really bad north of Cary Parkway.

Depending on time of day, I40 is not really that bad. I get to work by 7am and I-40 westbound from Raleigh to RTP is heavy but fast (80mph). Going the other way, it usually is fairly clear from RTP to Harrison up until 4:30 or so.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Yeah, work is at E. Cornwallis Rd. and tw Alexander Dr, so pretty north. Hopefully I can drive it in 30 min or so as long as I miss the worst of the rush hour.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Yeah, work is at E. Cornwallis Rd. and tw Alexander Dr, so pretty north. Hopefully I can drive it in 30 min or so as long as I miss the worst of the rush hour.
Oh easily! If you are willing to adjust your commute time to hit either the leading or trailing edge of rush hour, you'll do fine. To give you an example, I work at the corner of Davis and Development at the south end of RTP. I live all the way down at the corner of Ten-Ten and Lake Wheeler Rd. The trip is 25 miles and I can do that in under 30 minutes.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:23 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
I'm moving to the triangle in a month, and I'm thinking about Weston Lakeside apartments which is on Weston Parkway beside Lake Crabtree. I was wondering what the approximate commute time would be to RTP. I was told that taking I-40 was not a good idea at rush hour and to take the back roads (Chapel hill road to S Miami Blvd). I think the total distance would be around 15 miles.
I'll preface this with "I don't live in this part of Cary, but know people who do". So everything I say is second hand.

This is a great location for working in RTP. I can't imagine your commute taking more than 20 minutes (and maybe less), even in rush hour. The traffic on I-40 just isn't all that bad, even in rush hour. It does back up a little, but it is always moving unless there is an accident.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
You're really close. I wouldn't think it would take more that 15 minutes.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
I can't see it taking more than 20 min or so, even with traffic going up Chapel Hill Rd (NC-54) to South Miami Blvd.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone. You've helped me make my choice. Weston Lakeside it is.

Cisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary