Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts and experience with ATT Uverse/Gigapower
We have (or had) Uverse and Gigapower and love(d) it. Would do it all over again without hesitation. 5 71.43%
We have (or had) it and it is just OK. 2 28.57%
We have (or had) it and dumped it or will dump it. Couldn't get happy with it. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:18 AM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times

Advertisements

ATT tells me they can now deliver Gigapower to me in Cary. I never saw them pull cable through the conduits they pulled a month or so back. Hmmmmm.

Questions for those in the know:

1. Wireless vs. wired DVR Receiver?
I assume that this is between the main box and the second TV?
If so, what would "wired" be? Via Ethernet? Existing coax?
I assume that wired would be more reliable and wireless would be more convenient.

2. User experience.
If you have Uverse and Gigapower.... Reliability? Hassle Factor in installation?

Looking at U300 TV service + Gigapower + Phone for about the same price as TWC is delivering. Seems like a good choice, if most people are happy with ATT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:21 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times
You saw how long it took them to get the cable out of my yard.

Also? Gigapower is fast, but we lost service regularly.

Dunno about TV stuff. No TV service.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:35 AM

Knowing what the "wireless receiver" is is important to me.
It has to work.
And there is a $49 fee for wireless receiver.
Everything was "awesome" to the perky phone agent, but I find "awesome" to be a bit vague most of the time.

Other concerns...

Phone agent told me that it is a one year contract, with two year promo rate guaranteed. The online chat agent said 2 year contract.

Phone agent told me that the package includes the $10 HD fee, but the online lineup says I have to pay $10 or go to U450 to get it baked in.

One of the most relentless sales pitches I have received for some time. LOL
I had to tell her that I am a survivor, that the decision maker is a good cook and I cannot afford to make a decision without her tacit approval...

Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 AM

307 posts, read 378,941 times
The contract is 1 year with a 2 year price guarantee. I just signed up yesterday. All of the documentation when going through the online sign-up says 1 year contract with a pro-rated $180 etf. I'm only getting gigabit internet no tv service so I didn't have to deal with that. I did some research on the install and it looks like they will have to pull at least 1 ethernet cable in the house as well as install a box outside.

I have my install on Friday so I can let you know how it goes afterwards.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 AM

547 posts, read 776,327 times
The TV service is through DirecTV so even though it is "packaged" you will get Gigapower through fiber and TV through DirecTV (meaning they will install a dish).

I still have TWC internet and DirecTV for TV. Although we also are now being offered Gigapower. I am holding off until my DTV contract is up before deciding to move to Gigapower. I'm hoping Google still comes to my neighborhood.

FYI, we have 2 receivers. The "wired" receiver is in our living room (main) and we have a wireless in our bedroom. The wired is through CoAX but if you want OnDemand, I believe you will need for it to be connected via cat5 ethernet.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 AM

4,308 posts, read 6,005,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
The TV service is through DirecTV so even though it is "packaged" you will get Gigapower through fiber and TV through DirecTV (meaning they will install a dish).
Mike is talking about U-verse TV, not DIRECTV.

I believe the wireless receiver can act entirely independently, although the main box is included in the base rate and you need that for DVR anyway. For the wireless receiver, you get a wireless access point that you connect to your gateway. Your wireless receivers then pair through that.

Wired receivers can use Ethernet or coax depending on your home setup.

I have seen good reviews of the wireless receivers. Maybe occasional resets needed, but supposedly picture quality is good.

(Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with AT&T's offerings...just have looked into them a decent amount as I continually weigh my options and wait for GOOG.)

Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

I believe the wireless receiver can act entirely independently, although the main box is included in the base rate and you need that for DVR anyway. For the wireless receiver, you get a wireless access point that you connect to your gateway. Your wireless receivers then pair through that.

I have seen good reviews of the wireless receivers. Maybe occasional resets needed, but supposedly picture quality is good.

(Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with AT&T's offerings...just have looked into them a decent amount as I continually weigh my options and wait for GOOG.)
Thanks.

I have coax and CAT 6 in place in the family room and coax in the bedroom and can drop another CAT6 outlet to the bedroom without a lot of hassle.

They are including a main and a 2nd TV setup in the rate, and pressing me regarding whether it is wired or wireless, without much guidance.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM

9,152 posts, read 14,801,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

Double check as I did read an article recently that said they were going to start pushing people to DIRECTV and phase out the Uverse TV side of things for new subs.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 AM

4,308 posts, read 6,005,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have coax and CAT 6 in place in the family room and coax in the bedroom and can drop another CAT6 outlet to the bedroom without a lot of hassle.

They are including a main and a 2nd TV setup in the rate, and pressing me regarding whether it is wired or wireless, without much guidance.
I would opt for wired if I already had wiring in place where I needed it or it was dead simple to get it there. Saves the $49 fee and should give more stable connection, even if wireless is generally fine. I'd only go wireless if a connection point wasn't convenient or I intended to move it around a lot like if you wanted to be able to take a TV outside for the big game or something.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Well, now it hinges on TV.
We want all the PBS channels that TWC delivers, and all the Canes hockey on Fox Sports South.
Confidence is low on those points.

And, if we can record more than one show at a time, and the DVR hard drive capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary