Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,417 times

Advertisements

My husband is working in chapel hill for a long term job and the kids and I live in Mississippi. We have decided to relocate to be with him. He is currently staying ina hotel and we are looking to rent a town home or house for permanent residence. What area should be looking in? We have a 4 and 9 year old and are
Looking for somewhere safe with good schools but can't pay $1500 a month for rent. Are there any areas where we could find a nice 3 br for around 800-950 a month? I've been looking for days and days and am beginning to get really discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 10:35 AM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
Traveling from any of the places you mention to Chapel Hill could be a nightmare for your husband. You're unlikely to find anything in your price range right in Chapel Hill but I think you'll have some options if you look in the Durham, Hillsborough or even Mebane areas. These areas are generally lower cost than the places you've mentioned and traffic to Chapel Hill won't be as bad.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yeah, don't live in Raleigh if the job is in Chapel Hill. You might like Hillsborough or Pittsboro, both are small towns about 15 minutes from Chapel Hill. Schools are good in both areas.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Does he have to commute to Chapel Hill every day or does he get to work from home some? If it's only a few times a week Raleigh is tolerable but if it's daily and especially at normal times it will be brutal for him. I have neighbors who commute from North Raleigh to Chapel Hill but it is folks who only go in to the office 2-3 days a week.

Hillsborough and Pittsboro are both cute and probably considerably cheaper. I also know Cary and Holly Springs are popular with folks who work in Chapel Hill but want Wake County schools. A 3 bedroom house in that budget may not be realistic though, you will probably have to make compromises.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,417 times
My main concerns are the schools and the crime rate. I've read some pretty nasty stuff about Durham. I will definitely look in the areas you all mentioned. I won't be able to see any place in person before we make the move so it's a little scary for me. My husband will be commuting to work daily, so I want to be as reasonable as I can as far as the drive.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Use Google Maps streetview to drive around. Hillsborough is very cute and historic.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Mebane!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:32 PM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
It depends on where you go in Durham. You can look at crime statistics maps to determine where the crime is and isn't in Durham. As previously mentioned, Hillsborough and Pittsboro are good alternatives--they both have low crime, good schools and low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary