Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 12:13 PM

240 posts, read 1,181,097 times

Advertisements

I don't usually create posts on this forum; or any other. Yet, as a licensed contractor with more than 40 years experience, I do occasionally offer advice to folks regarding construction problems and effective corrections.

There is a problem in our industry; and since we live in a desirable location of the country, its a little greater in the Triangle. The problem is that there is a shortage in the skilled and experienced labor pool to meet the current demand.

The availability of labor varies as the availability of home financing; and the overall demand for housing that changes from decade to decade. National "trac builders" or "production builders" compete with local, regional, and national "custom builders" for a limited pool of personnel who are willing, able, motivated, and caring folks to perform the work desired.

In our industry, as in many others, "business is booming" and in our speciality (home improvement, remodeling, and repair) there is NEVER a shortage of service requests. Never! in over 40 years, we have been blessed to maintain a backlog of contracted work that is always several weeks, sometimes several months, and occasionally has ballooned to more that a year. That fact, to me is absolutely amazing.

Our geographic location is very desirable due to a variety of reasons that include: climate, employment, hospitality, worship opportunities, access to recreation, an accessible airport, manageable traffic, etc. which all translate to a very comfortable standard of community living.

I see all these wonderful attributes in jeopardy. In my opinion, the key to maintaining and even improving the current living conditions is identifying, locating, contracting, and retaining a quality workforce to meet the demand. Our societal thinking is that is you want to "get ahead" or "have a career" that you MUST earn a four year degree before you can be considered successful.

If we do not change that thinking and encourage folks to learn a skill, develop good work habits, produce the desired product or level of service, I fear that we will all suffer. Knowing how to provide a service, meet a need, repair an item is becoming a rare skill.

If you want to earn a living wage, gain satisfaction for an accomplishment, and provide a service to folks who are willing to pay for qualified, premium craftsmanship, seek a position in some form of construction or a service related industry and you will always be in demand.

Just my 2 cents . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,246,684 times
education and the subsequent employment is certainly a critical issue facing our country and economy. In some locations it's a "what job can we create that will retain the work force", in others like the Triangle, it's "where can we find qualified workers".

the amount of time, effort, money and promotion of "college education" versus accepting that not only do folks not WANT and need that depth of education, but the education isn't turning into a reasonable job in the field studied is awful.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:59 PM

166 posts, read 163,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
If you want to earn a living wage, gain satisfaction for an accomplishment, and provide a service to folks who are willing to pay for qualified, premium craftsmanship, seek a position in some form of construction or a service related industry and you will always be in demand. Just my 2 cents . . . .
I like what you're saying but I have met folks in construction who feel they've been exiled from the industry by cheaper illegal immigrant labor, and I have met a lot of young people who like the idea of something like carpentry but feel the earning potential has been beaten down by illegals too much to even give it a try.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:50 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
I don't usually create posts on this forum; or any other. Yet, as a licensed contractor with more than 40 years experience, I do occasionally offer advice to folks regarding construction problems and effective corrections.

There is a problem in our industry; and since we live in a desirable location of the country, its a little greater in the Triangle. The problem is that there is a shortage in the skilled and experienced labor pool to meet the current demand.

The availability of labor varies as the availability of home financing; and the overall demand for housing that changes from decade to decade. National "trac builders" or "production builders" compete with local, regional, and national "custom builders" for a limited pool of personnel who are willing, able, motivated, and caring folks to perform the work desired.

In our industry, as in many others, "business is booming" and in our speciality (home improvement, remodeling, and repair) there is NEVER a shortage of service requests. Never! in over 40 years, we have been blessed to maintain a backlog of contracted work that is always several weeks, sometimes several months, and occasionally has ballooned to more that a year. That fact, to me is absolutely amazing.

Our geographic location is very desirable due to a variety of reasons that include: climate, employment, hospitality, worship opportunities, access to recreation, an accessible airport, manageable traffic, etc. which all translate to a very comfortable standard of community living.

I see all these wonderful attributes in jeopardy. In my opinion, the key to maintaining and even improving the current living conditions is identifying, locating, contracting, and retaining a quality workforce to meet the demand. Our societal thinking is that is you want to "get ahead" or "have a career" that you MUST earn a four year degree before you can be considered successful.

If we do not change that thinking and encourage folks to learn a skill, develop good work habits, produce the desired product or level of service, I fear that we will all suffer. Knowing how to provide a service, meet a need, repair an item is becoming a rare skill.

If you want to earn a living wage, gain satisfaction for an accomplishment, and provide a service to folks who are willing to pay for qualified, premium craftsmanship, seek a position in some form of construction or a service related industry and you will always be in demand.

Just my 2 cents . . . .
Would you send me a DM when you have a moment? I'd like to ask you some LC questions.

Merci!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 667 times
Smile Home Improvement

Quote:

Just my 2 cents . . . .
hello Trent Hicks,
I need some guideline about home improvement and not much money to spend it can you tell us which main part of home improve

Old 03-09-2017, 04:35 AM

812 posts, read 833,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
I like what you're saying but I have met folks in construction who feel they've been exiled from the industry by cheaper illegal immigrant labor, and I have met a lot of young people who like the idea of something like carpentry but feel the earning potential has been beaten down by illegals too much to even give it a try.
^Second this.

I agree the trades (and skilled manufacturing for that matter) need to be more respected; it is critical for the future of our society and, if you boil it down, even national security. "Rockets" need to be designed...yes, but then they need to be built and obviously will not launch without a launch pad. We need strong apprenticeship programs and more financial incentives to attract and retain talent. It should be considered a valuable and desirable career path -like in Germany and Japan.

Concerning "unfair labor competition", I notice it more down here. In the Midwest, I have friends and family who have entered the trades and are doing quite well -even as a skilled laborer. Here, maybe only if you are an owner or in management (project manager). Of course, they are unionized up there... like in Germany and Japan. If they were looking at $10-12/hr coming out of training they too probably would have gone the four-year route... and still be driving around 15 yr old Hondas like some of us vs their new 50K full size 4x4 pickup trucks. Rent ain't cheap, child care ain't cheap (1000K+/mo), healthcare ain't cheap... gotta make it "worth it".

Old 03-09-2017, 07:49 AM

425 posts, read 464,150 times
This is a topic I'm very passionate about. I regularly manage GCs and subs all over the country for industrial projects. The lack of young skilled labor is a consistent message from them all. Unfortunately, a good portion of our society now looks down on those who work with their hands, and who don't have a fancy "4 year degree". Without turning this political, I was listening to NPR's inauguration coverage in the car, and some host was interviewing an attendee on the Washington Mall. She talked to a plumber like she was surprised he could even walk up-right and speak a full sentence. I'd much rather deal with a skilled welder, who can lay down perfect TIG beads, than someone who has spent mom and dads money on a degree that serves no functional purpose.

Not all kids should go to a 4 year college, and high schools should not be set up where the measure of success is how many kids they push into a college, many of which frankly don't belong there. Gone (at least in the US) are the good old days of vocational high schools, where kids can learn mechanics, welding, wood working, etc.

I guess we should all be happy that the person pouring our fru-fru coffee has three very useful liberal arts degrees. That makes way more sense than someone making $50-60k a year with some over-time as a welder.....

Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,788,124 times
I will agree the hammering home of the 4 year degree has hurt in many ways. It's driven the costs of college up for those who do go and it's made a generation of people avoid trades. Thing is, many people can start right out of high school and if they are willing to work and to learn, they could work their way up to good pay and even start their own business after 10 or so years. Obviously not everyone will, but in my experience, there's really nothing stopping anyone from it if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary