Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 19,672 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Two months ago I moved from Costa Rica to Fort Lauderdale, to my dad house.
I have a good resume, so finding a job was quick (3 or 4 days). I was an IBM employee in Costa Rica with a lot of certifications (Red Hat Engineer, OpenStack, ITIL, etc) and experience in Linux, IT, Architecture, virtualization and cloud with a focus on DevOps and automation of infrastructure.

I am a US citizen, so the movement and job finding was quick and without a problem.

Now that I just moved, I got an offer for a permanent job in IBM again for a remote position!
Meaning I can relocate to any of the state I really want.

I don't like the weather in Florida, and I feel tech opportunities, even though they exist, there are not a lot of options nor are well paid.

I am planning on the following places, but I'm still deciding: 1. Seattle 2. Austin 3. Raleigh 4. Atlanta?

My top priorities are: 1. Jobs 2. Nature 3. Fun 4. If possible snowy winter

How is Raleigh or surroundings with this points?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
Job market is strong in IT with those skills. Lots of parks, greenway trails and two big lakes nearby for nature. Fun depends on your definition of it - if you mean nightlife there is some but it's not what you get in a major city. And for snow...you may get 1-2 "storms" a year which are largely ice and maybe 2-3 inches of snow.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
You say you have a job, but list jobs are your #1 priority? Sounds like you have that part taken care of

There is lots to do here and lots of nature, but you shouldn't move anywhere without visiting the area first. We are not what you would call a "snowy" weather except maybe compared to Florida and Costa Rica. We get just a few inches of snow in the winters.

This thread is recommended for those thinking of moving to the Triangle area--it is a compilation of many old threads with the same questions you're asking, answered many time. Also, I would suggest doing independent research on the cities you're looking into for things like climate, job markets, etc. There area lots of websites that give that kind of info for every city all at once, for comparison, or pages like this right here on City-Data (every city has one, this is just the one for Raleigh). Seattle and Atlanta are much more "big city" than Raleigh or Austin. I would not say any of the 4 gets much snow--but you can research that on climate websites.

A better place to ask "which of these cities suits me best?" is the City vs City forum.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:49 PM

644 posts, read 843,013 times
None of these places are particularly known for snow. Have you considered Colorado, specifically the Denver or Boulder area?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
None of these places are particularly known for snow. Have you considered Colorado, specifically the Denver or Boulder area?
No, they aren't, but at least two of the places have easy access to snow (Raleigh and Seattle), which might be preferable.

You'll see snow in Colorado. It will be right outside your front door - there is no escape from it.

However, in either Raleigh or Seattle, going to the mountains to see snow is not a very long drive. At that point, you get to determine exactly how much snow to see without having to deal with it on a daily basis.

Having said that, if A LOT of snow is important, I would agree none of these really qualify.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:30 PM

332 posts, read 398,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
Hello,

I have a good resume, so finding a job was quick (3 or 4 days). I was an IBM employee in Costa Rica with a lot of certifications (Red Hat Engineer, OpenStack, ITIL, etc) and experience in Linux, IT, Architecture, virtualization and cloud with a focus on DevOps and automation of infrastructure.

I am a US citizen, so the movement and job finding was quick and without a problem.

Now that I just moved, I got an offer for a permanent job in IBM again for a remote position!

I don't like the weather in Florida, and I feel tech opportunities, even though they exist, there are not a lot of options nor are well paid.

I am planning on the following places, but I'm still deciding: 1. Seattle 2. Austin 3. Raleigh 4. Atlanta?

Thanks!
I can answer your questions about Seattle if you want to send me a message. I am moving to Raleigh so I will try to not be too biased. I will tell you the cost of living is going to be double here than what you are used to.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM

812 posts, read 832,658 times
Seattle metro will be the most expensive, no contest. Probably the worst traffic too. Also, it only has two seasons = warm-dry and cool-wet. However, you are guaranteed some serious snow and some real winter fun only 30 miles away up in the mountains.

While we are not guaranteed a snowfall during the winter, one of the things I like about Raleigh is that is has 4 distinct "true" seasons without having a super harsh long winter. Probably the most distinct 4 seasons of the four metros mentioned.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:36 PM

I am not looking for snow at my door, driving is an option, anyway, snow is not that important, it's cool, because it's something I am not used to.

I have a job, but looking for a place in case I loose my job, I can find other easily, just in case.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
If you want a snowy winter, you best come up with a 5th choice.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:40 PM

I will forget about snow :-(

Just looking mostly for a technology-friendly place, with companies, startups and fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary