Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What does Cary offer that North Raleigh doesn't offer? Please enlighten me so I can counter haha

Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't offer the things Cary does
Maybe you read it wrong, but I didn't say Cary offers things that N Raleigh doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 AM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
I personally think that each of those three areas have a distinctive feel to them and the best way to know is which one feels like home. I have lived in both North Raleigh and Wake Forest, but Wake Forest feels so much like home to me than North Raleigh. I've spent enough time in Cary to know that it doesn't have the same feel I am personally looking for. I don't think one is better than another just different. But I disagree that the main difference is location. There is a flavor and feel different to each. I have no idea which one is right for you. While I haven't lived in Apex, my understanding is that Apex and WF are relatively similar in feel.

That said, if Wake Forest appeals to you, I would take what people who don't live in WF say with a grain of salt about it being to far out and talk to people who live there. For me personally as having lived in WF/Youngsville for 15 years, I don't think that unless you are working in RTP or Cary that Wake Forest is too far from everything in the Triangle at all. And honestly for me the commute to RTP would be worth it to live in WF, but I know that's not true for everyone. Unless I'm going at rush hour, I can be almost anywhere in the central part of Triangle (Cary, Durham, downtown) in 20-30 minutes especially if I use backroads and shortcuts (not Capital). And there is so much shopping and restaurants in North Raleigh these days that is only 15-20 minutes away as well as so much in WF these days. I really don't have to leave this area for much at all anymore unless I want to go to an event in downtown or Durham. Or to go to a better mall - Crabtree or Southpoint.

Last edited by jenniferg72nc; 11-29-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
I'm way closer to "everything" in Wake Forest than I ever was when I lived in Apex. I'm literally 1/2 a mile from my hairdresser, pharmacy, vet, pediatrician, eye doctor, primary care doctor, fave restaurant, Publix, Harris Teeter, my dry cleaner, x Ray, dermatologist, gym.... These are literally all on the same road. I find WF way more convenient. I never get on Capitol Blvd. I can walk to an amazing greenway that is currently being connected to an extensive network of greenways including the Neuse river greenway. I can walk to a wine bar. I run into neighbors in town. We have tons of festivals here. The topography is different in WF... way more hills and scenery. Apex felt spread out and not personal. Drive around downtown Wake Forest and you will see a real historic downtown with a lot to offer.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 AM

261 posts, read 307,612 times
WF seems to be getting a bit of a bad rap here. I live in N Raleigh for the last 27 years, have moved around some in about a 7 mile radius. Have plenty of friends in WF, I work in Cary/Morrisville. As far as people saying WF is to far out, well, there's tradeoffs in every location. IMO, WF is NOT that much different than N Raleigh or Apex in regards to distance to RTP if that's where you end up working. As others have advised, explore each area and see how you feel about it, which one speaks to you?

Don't rule anything out based on its distance to 540! I spend each commute figuring out how to get away from 540, traffic just sucks on it in the evening and morning commute. That is unless you use the toll portion which is virtually empty. I prefer N Raleigh/WF over Cary, all of them have their highs and lows and traffic throughout the triangle is getting tricky no matter where you are.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:32 PM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
Love North Raleigh. We live a stone's throw from Wake Forest. There's plenty of stuff up this way and close enough to 540 if you need to get to RDU.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
There are great areas in all of these places - it honestly depends where location wise you live within Apex, Wake Forest, North Raleigh, Cary etc..... and where you need to commute to or what is important to you. I definitely have my own opinions but it is based on my needs and what I want. I don't know what the OP or other people want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary