Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else has ever run into this:

During the work-day, my girlfriend was on our patio, with our three dogs, in a fenced in area. I was on the phone with her at the time, and she said someone was trying to climb our fence. A lot of confusion ensued, but she finally heard from the guy that he was with some company I'd never heard of, as a contractor for Duke Energy, and he had to check something on our AC unit in regards to it's communication to the Smart Grid.

Needless to say, I was less than happy, so I asked to speak to the guy on the phone. I told him he didn't ask for, and never got our permission to be on our property, and he gave me some kind of smart-arse response about it being part of the "contract" we sign with Duke. I told him that when he sees a locked gate, he needs to turn around, and his response was "well, I usually just climb up there to see if I can access the lock, and if I can, I let myself in (since I'm apparently entitled to do so). Again, I was not satisfied with the response, and I asked him if he ever worried about someone exercising their 2a rights on a trespasser. Honestly, if I were him, I'd be scared to death to enter someone's property, which is a non-issue, because I have more respect for people than that, and I wouldn't do it.

Anyway, he had a badge, so I had my GF take a picture of it, we allowed him to access our outside unit, and that was that.

As an aside, we have three siberian huskies. If we weren't there to stop him and they hadn't shredded him to pieces, they likely would have escaped. If that happened, my guess is he would have quietly left, and we'd never know how our dogs got out. or we would have come home to what was left of him, and had a lot of questions from our friendly LEO.

All of this sucks. So...

Has anyone else ever had a contractor of Duke Energy pull this crap?
Do you think I should file a police report?
Any other thoughts?

I'm over it now, but sheesh, he actually tried to justify climbing our 6' fence to jimmy the lock so he could access our private property. Not the slightest bit humble or apologetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I don't know the answer to your question but he sounds like an idiot regardless of his alleged rights.

I would not call the police but I would call Duke Energy.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm over it now ...
Clearly not, or this post wouldn't exist.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I would denfinitely call Duke Energy and ask about it. I would also ask they put a note on the account that says you have digs and not to enter without contacting you first. I would also have them remove their shutoff from your AC unit which is why he wanted to get over there in the first place. Then again, I'd never sign up for it as $25 isn't worth it for me when it's hot and I want to be cool.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Clearly not, or this post wouldn't exist.

Thanks so much for your helpful response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would denfinitely call Duke Energy and ask about it. I would also ask they put a note on the account that says you have digs and not to enter without contacting you first. I would also have them remove their shutoff from your AC unit which is why he wanted to get over there in the first place. Then again, I'd never sign up for it as $25 isn't worth it for me when it's hot and I want to be cool.

[sorry for the typing, only one hand free.]

Can you elaborate on this.

its been so long, I don't remember what that is, and is that $24/mo? year?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:

Thanks so much for your helpful response.
Quite welcome.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this.

its been so long, I don't remember what that is, and is that $24/mo? year?
Presumably you're signed up for the EnergyWise program, which lets them remotely cycle your A/C during periods of high demand a few times a year to help manage the overall load on the grid. You get a $25/year credit for participating.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:17 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Presumably you're signed up for the EnergyWise program, which lets them remotely cycle your A/C during periods of high demand a few times a year to help manage the overall load on the grid. You get a $25/year credit for participating.
At least it is now an annual credit. I thought the last verbiage I read when they were trying to have me sign up for it (which may have been pre-merger under Progress Energy), was a one time credit.

Certainly not worth the burden of having to sweat in my house in the summer. It takes a lot of work to keep the internal temp at 68 degrees when it is 95+ outside.

If it were a monthly credit, I might be interested. Also, if they indexed it to the size of your house/power bill, it may make more sense.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM

510 posts, read 900,902 times
first call Duke and complain about the guy, then call them back and cancel your participation in that program. It's not worth the headache. It will do more harm than good to sensitive electronics....and I also thought they can monitor everything remotely now, no need to jump fences?....and another question; why is your meter inside your fence? I made sure I put my fence behind the utilities, so need need to encroach on my privacy.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:27 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
I have had Duke contractors come on my property when I am not here. There are easements that allow them to do it. I'm with you in that I would like to be told the day before but that never seems to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary