Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 AM

634 posts, read 913,303 times

Advertisements

Here's a cost point reference only (not making a recommendation) - for our new construction it costs us $110 per window to have wide slat blinds sourced, prepped and installed by the (tract) builder, with cleaning / touch-up / labor and materials warranty included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 6,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
I ordered mine from blindstogo.com, which I had used when I lived in NJ -- their headquarters is near there. Blinds are made in the US. I hired a handyman to install them. Three of the blinds had a slight problem with the headers; they paid for shipping back to them, and back to me. I have been entirely satisfied with them. For 20 windows, it cost me about $1700 including installation. A local company here had quoted me $2500.
Were you able to compare their quality with brand name products?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I used All Phase Blinds and Shutters. They had a great price compared to some of my other quotes and they were very efficient. I have been very happy with the quality of the products and service after the installation. Originally we put shutters in the windows viewable from the street and blinds on the backside, but after a couple of months my husband decided he liked the shutters much more and we ordered shutters for the other windows. The great thing about shutters is that you can let light in with the upper half open and yet have privacy leaving bottom half closed.
Thanks for the information! We like shutters too. Will definitely get a quote from them.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM

333 posts, read 287,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnc View Post
Were you able to compare their quality with brand name products?

I didn't compare the products very carefully -- I was very satisfied with the ones in my previous house, so when the price worked out I went with them again. They were really nice, and the buyers of the house wrote into the contract that the window coverings would stay (but who would take custom made/ sized blinds with them in any case?).

I'd hoped to go with a local business but decided it wasn't worth the price. I measured myself, and that worked out, but had a handyman install them.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Ouch.
Four vendors, including the three mentioned above, and this is an industry that does not work weekends or evenings.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Here's a cost point reference only (not making a recommendation) - for our new construction it costs us $110 per window to have wide slat blinds sourced, prepped and installed by the (tract) builder, with cleaning / touch-up / labor and materials warranty included.
I assume these to be faux wood. That's a low price, though.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I used All Phase Blinds and Shutters. They had a great price compared to some of my other quotes and they were very efficient. I have been very happy with the quality of the products and service after the installation. Originally we put shutters in the windows viewable from the street and blinds on the backside, but after a couple of months my husband decided he liked the shutters much more and we ordered shutters for the other windows. The great thing about shutters is that you can let light in with the upper half open and yet have privacy leaving bottom half closed.
How much did they run, installed?

We've done blinds and some custom valances before (installed) and I felt they were very overpriced. We have custom window treatments in all our rooms in this house, but this was a custom model and the builder put these in. I have all ideas they would have cost more than we would've wanted to pay for them.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

We've done blinds and some custom valances before (installed) and I felt they were very overpriced. We have custom window treatments in all our rooms in this house, but this was a custom model and the builder put these in. I have all ideas they would have cost more than we would've wanted to pay for them.
I tried hard to deal locally for blinds including a couple motorized units, and will end up either ordering on line or through a big box, and installing myself. I was willing to pay to avoid that this time.

With 6 calls and no one working outside strictly limited typical M-F business hours, it is difficult to justify any added costs for service, unless one really does need extensive custom work or wants great creativity or is just physically unable to do the installations.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I tried hard to deal locally for blinds including a couple motorized units, and will end up either ordering on line or through a big box, and installing myself. I was willing to pay to avoid that this time.

With 6 calls and no one working outside strictly limited typical M-F business hours, it is difficult to justify any added costs for service, unless one really does need extensive custom work or wants great creativity or is just physically unable to do the installations.
That was our conclusion.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:51 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I just looked at my original invoice for the front (10 windows of varying sizes) and the cost for shutters was $3238.00 installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary