Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,785,757 times

Advertisements

I'm sure people here know what and when NCDOT plan to change some things regarding our Triangle area that seems to grow at an amazing pace. Some things along my commute :

- Nobody expected this back-up, but there is a major backup that is TOTALLY unnecessary and hope NCDOT fixes this. Getting on to 540 west when traveling on 264 west backs up, because there is traffic coming from 264 eastbound that is trying to get on 540 west also. I'm talking about at exit 428. It seems like traffic from both 264 east and west are trying to merge on a very short merge lane to get on 540. This causing quite a big backup that is unnecessary. Are there any plans to lengthen the merge lane or what other attempts to make this better?

- Everyone know about the backup on 440 west due to Lake Boone Trail merging onto 440 and then that lane that everyone has to merge onto is going to Wade Avenue/40 west, which is a totally ridiculous design for today's traffic demands. You have to merge on to that lane, only to learn that you have to move over another lane in rush hour traffic. What's the plan and timeline here?

The only good thing I see here is that MOST of the time, drivers are still nice and let you in if you show your signal well in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 04:25 PM

370 posts, read 297,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I'm sure people here know what and when NCDOT plan to change some things regarding our Triangle area that seems to grow at an amazing pace. Some things along my commute :

- Nobody expected this back-up, but there is a major backup that is TOTALLY unnecessary and hope NCDOT fixes this. Getting on to 540 west when traveling on 264 west backs up, because there is traffic coming from 264 eastbound that is trying to get on 540 west also. I'm talking about at exit 428. It seems like traffic from both 264 east and west are trying to merge on a very short merge lane to get on 540. This causing quite a big backup that is unnecessary. Are there any plans to lengthen the merge lane or what other attempts to make this better?

- Everyone know about the backup on 440 west due to Lake Boone Trail merging onto 440 and then that lane that everyone has to merge onto is going to Wade Avenue/40 west, which is a totally ridiculous design for today's traffic demands. You have to merge on to that lane, only to learn that you have to move over another lane in rush hour traffic. What's the plan and timeline here?

The only good thing I see here is that MOST of the time, drivers are still nice and let you in if you show your signal well in advance.
Plans are in the works for the 540/64 interchange. Hopefully constructed next year. (The project will bring two lanes onto 540WB, one from each direction of 64, rather than the very unnecessary merge to one, then flaring out to three.)

440 will be under construction starting in 2018 from Walnut to Wade Ave.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:41 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Can't wait for the 440 & 40 interchange to be fixed. Some genius back in the day decided that a cloverleaf was a great interchange idea between two interstates haha

Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,725,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
Plans are in the works for the 540/64 interchange. Hopefully constructed next year. (The project will bring two lanes onto 540WB, one from each direction of 64, rather than the very unnecessary merge to one, then flaring out to three.)

440 will be under construction starting in 2018 from Walnut to Wade Ave.
Preparation for 540's extension?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:09 PM

370 posts, read 297,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Preparation for 540's extension?
No, a quasi-temporary fix until if/when 540 is completed past 40 (at the 70 bypass) and then over to complete the loop. (I say if/when because the section between 40 and 64 is questionable from a B/C standpoint, as well as significant environmental issues.)

Also, I used the US 64 designator, even though it's technically I-495, and soon I-87 (the future interstate between Raleigh and Norfolk.)

Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,514,424 times
My most hated interchange is getting onto I-40 from US-1. I drive to and fro Sanford several times a week, and every time I'm coming back I hate this section of the drive. I usually have to get on 40WB right there, which comes after the EB interchange, but not very far after at all. You got people trying to merge onto US1 in a very short distance, while you're trying to get onto the 40 ramp in that short distance. If a car or 3 is coming at the wrong time, you have to decide whether to floor it to try and get in front of the car, or brake relatively hard to get behind. Then you got the people who don't know where they're going, who need to get on 40WB but accidentally start taking the EB exit...and dash back over to the travel lanes without checking their mirrors. Not a good setup at all imo.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:45 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,482,301 times
What I-40 Exit 293 needs are c/d lanes. Cloverleaf interchanges don't work very well without them.

I wish I-40 Exits 270 and 276 would get diverging diamond interchanges. The former isn't too bad, but the latter is a hassle when the mall is busy

Then there's the tight cloverleaf interchange where US 15-501 intersects with NC 147

I-40 at NC 147 is also a problem spot

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 12-13-2016 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 05:00 AM

4,275 posts, read 4,730,748 times
When the original segment of 540 opened between 40 and 70, NCDOT badly misjudged morning flow from westbound 540 to westbound 40. They did retrofit several years later, but one wonders why they could not have forecasted the flow correctly to begin with.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,162,398 times
Make your thoughts heard by the people that count. Here is the 2016 annual survey on NCDOT performance. https://ncsu.qualtrics.com/jfe6/form/SV_bxQr0bD8PwImlKJ

Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 AM

544 posts, read 853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
When the original segment of 540 opened between 40 and 70, NCDOT badly misjudged morning flow from westbound 540 to westbound 40. They did retrofit several years later, but one wonders why they could not have forecasted the flow correctly to begin with.
You are being way too kind. That was a monumental blunder which took them way too long to correct. Would have been a lot cheaper to do it right the first time. You're going to use a single lane to connect two six lane interstates?

That is my concern with the new ramp meter lights that will be installed on 540 West. I fear that it will take them forever to strike the balance between not letting track jam up on the ramp and keeping traffic moving on 540.

They'll make an adjustment. Then observe for a month. Then make an adjustment. Then observe for a month. Etc., etc.

But that's just the cynical me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary