Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 11,068 times

Advertisements

To those who think aggressive driving does not happen in the area where we live:

Please find the link to "Chill Morrisville".

These aggressive drivers break several traffic offenses in an effort to get to their destination at the risk of crashing or being stopped by the police. They really need to just "chill" out and be patient like the rest of us sitting in traffic
We have initiated the Chill Morrisville Community Program. It is an educational effort to reduce traffic crashes by identifying aggressive drivers.
Morrisville, NC - Official Website - Chill Morrisville Community Program

Cary Police have established a “Road Watch” hotline at 919-319-4521 for people to report aggressive driving. If numerous complaints are received for a particular area, police said they would increase visibility on the street through patrols, radar trailers and speed sentries that display speeds to oncoming drivers. If multiple reports are issued for the same car, they may send a nastygram letter to the address on the car's registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaJam View Post
To those who think aggressive driving does not happen in the area where we live:

These aggressive drivers break several traffic offenses in an effort to get to their destination at the risk of crashing or being stopped by the police. They really need to just "chill" out and be patient like the rest of us sitting in traffic
We have initiated the Chill Morrisville Community Program. It is an educational effort to reduce traffic crashes by identifying aggressive drivers.

Cary Police have established a “Road Watch” hotline at 919-319-4521 for people to report aggressive driving. If numerous complaints are received for a particular area, police said they would increase visibility on the street through patrols, radar trailers and speed sentries that display speeds to oncoming drivers. If multiple reports are issued for the same car, they may send a nastygram letter to the address on the car's registration.
Welcome to any town with a population over 25k. The more cars on the road, the more aggressive people get.

But if you think road aggression here is on par with Boston then I'd have to question your sanity.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

As for the a-ok of my post - you are right that we don't know each area. But I do know this, if our options are quarter acre lot and close to amenities or half acre plus and a 20 minute drive, we would choose the later 100 times out of 100. I realize that hypothetical is far too general but it paints the gist. Space trumps "convenience" for us, even if that means a farm down the road or what have you.
If you think your only options here are living in the boonies for space or living on top of your neighbors, you need better realtor friends. We are on .40, wooded lots, top schools, can walk to 3-4 grocery stores and maybe 15 minutes to RTP (no tolls).

Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:

By the way, for the record, if you're putting your signal on and trying to jam yourself in between cars at the last second so you can make your turn, then you're the one driving aggressive, not them.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you think your only options here are living in the boonies for space or living on top of your neighbors, you need better realtor friends. We are on .40, wooded lots, top schools, can walk to 3-4 grocery stores and maybe 15 minutes to RTP (no tolls).
I was just attempting to paint two high level hypotheticals. It's good to know you can get both.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I was just attempting to paint two high level hypotheticals. It's good to know you can get both.
I know - I get it - it's just that we often get people who are relocating whose must haves are in direct opposition to each other "I don't want to see my neighbors but I want to be able to have a 5 minute walk to coffee shops, boutiques and maybe a small grocery store". Not joking, we get actual requests like this. Then they are upset when we are confounded. Add in "top schools, new construction and 3 acres for $300K" and you see the conundrum. I'm only slightly exaggerating.

There are lots of options here...but unless you have an unlimited budget something is probably going to have to give. You have to make a list of what you want and decide what you can "give" on.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IMO, what makes the Triangle such an interesting RE market is that there are quite few older neighborhoods built between 1950-1980s with large lots in the best locations. I would much rather have a larger lot even if the home is older compared to some of these 5,000 sq ft McMansions built on top of each other on dog lots.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:

Since I must say "Not to be offensive", it must be. What I have noticed with some aggressive drivers in the area is that they seem to think they are still driving in Asia and can drive however they please. As if rules to the road do not apply to them. By no means is that all peoples from Asia, but some.

Honestly, I do not say this to be offensive.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:03 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Since I must say "Not to be offensive", it must be. What I have noticed with some aggressive drivers in the area is that they seem to think they are still driving in Asia and can drive however they please. As if rules to the road do not apply to them. By no means is that all peoples from Asia, but some.

Honestly, I do not say this to be offensive.
The Asians huh? Because evacuees from New Jersey, retirees from Florida and Okra farmers from Stokesdale, NC are all stellar drivers...

Yeah, your comment is offensive.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:35 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Just got back from a week in the NY & NJ area. Drove all over, including during working and commuting hours and holiday shopping traffic, suburbs, city, and everything in-between.

Not once was it nearly as aggressive as I have found the driving to be consistently here. As is my memory from when I lived and drove in those areas many moons ago.

Can't speak for Bostonians, Floridians, etc. but NYer/NJers seem to be the scapegoat here. Easy targets perhaps given their stereotype? Tired perceptions die hard.

As far as Asian drivers are concerned, from my experience as a passenger, Singapore drivers are largely clueless, in India you're taking your life in your hands in the chaos that is driving there, and as a driver, Japanese drivers are characteristically polite, very capable and predictable.

I don't remember ever seeing drivers there having the issue with using their turn signals that they do here.

Last edited by Repatriot; 01-01-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary