Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times

Advertisements

Hello all from Wyoming
We have been looking into relocating to Chapel Hill aka The Triangle. We like how strong the Deaf community is there and the Hematology treatment center at UNC Hospitals. I am Deaf. I also like the access to both the mountains and the beaches as we are a very outdoorsy family of 6. My husband was born and raised in Wyoming, I was born and raised for the most part in Saint Louis Missouri and have lived in California and south Florida for many years before relocating to Wyoming and starting my family. I love both the mountains and the beaches.

I work in education and I am trying to finish my Masters. My husband is a construction manager but has experience and certifications in all areas of carpentry and construction including steel/iron work totaling 20 years.
I still have to do research on jobs and benefits. I have the school district numbers for Chapel Hill and plan to call them after the holiday break for a more straightforward answer on their benefits. In Wyoming your benefits start the day you begin working which is fantastic (no coverage gaps). Although I am not sure how pay is among experienced construction/carpentry workers. My husband currently makes 21 an hour for 20 years of experience and as a manager, I was told this was low for Wyoming but we make do. On the other hand teachers in Wyoming make upwards of 40-60 K a year which I realize will be lower elsewhere even North Carolina correct? Would you say Chapel Hill is the best location if you enjoy snowboarding, snowmobiling in the mountains but also enjoy surfing? Close proximity to both? My boys and I also ride dirt bikes so locations for trails is a must. :-)

We have found that according to the CDC 2016, cancer rates are very high in the south and on the eastern coast, North Carolina had made the list. What is the reason for this? Man made factors? Environmental? Obesity, smoking, radon in homes without mitigation systems? Uranium? Could it be mainly those who work in the fracking/mining industries? In Wyoming families who work in mining and drilling tend to get sicker than families who work elsewhere. The energy industry in Wyoming is the #1 cause of cancer in our state along with skin cancer from radiation since we are at such a high elevation.
I have a family of 6 to think about and we already have enough health issues to have to worry about more. My oldest has severe hemophilia type A and asthma, I have FVL (Factor Five Leiden) myself and I am Deaf. My husband is a skin cancer survivor.
Please feel free to post credible sources, many thanks!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom6 View Post
Hello all from Wyoming
We have been looking into relocating to Chapel Hill aka The Triangle. We like how strong the Deaf community is there and the Hematology treatment center at UNC Hospitals. I am Deaf. I also like the access to both the mountains and the beaches as we are a very outdoorsy family of 6. My husband was born and raised in Wyoming, I was born and raised for the most part in Saint Louis Missouri and have lived in California and south Florida for many years before relocating to Wyoming and starting my family. I love both the mountains and the beaches.

I work in education and I am trying to finish my Masters. My husband is a construction manager but has experience and certifications in all areas of carpentry and construction including steel/iron work totaling 20 years.
I still have to do research on jobs and benefits. I have the school district numbers for Chapel Hill and plan to call them after the holiday break for a more straightforward answer on their benefits. In Wyoming your benefits start the day you begin working which is fantastic (no coverage gaps). Although I am not sure how pay is among experienced construction/carpentry workers. My husband currently makes 21 an hour for 20 years of experience and as a manager, I was told this was low for Wyoming but we make do. On the other hand teachers in Wyoming make upwards of 40-60 K a year which I realize will be lower elsewhere even North Carolina correct? Would you say Chapel Hill is the best location if you enjoy snowboarding, snowmobiling in the mountains but also enjoy surfing? Close proximity to both? My boys and I also ride dirt bikes so locations for trails is a must. :-)

We have found that according to the CDC 2016, cancer rates are very high in the south and on the eastern coast, North Carolina had made the list. What is the reason for this? Man made factors? Environmental? Obesity, smoking, radon in homes without mitigation systems? Uranium? Could it be mainly those who work in the fracking/mining industries? In Wyoming families who work in mining and drilling tend to get sicker than families who work elsewhere. The energy industry in Wyoming is the #1 cause of cancer in our state along with skin cancer from radiation since we are at such a high elevation.
I have a family of 6 to think about and we already have enough health issues to have to worry about more. My oldest has severe hemophilia type A and asthma, I have FVL (Factor Five Leiden) myself and I am Deaf. My husband is a skin cancer survivor.
Please feel free to post credible sources, many thanks!
Stephanie
unfortunately I think you wont find chapel as you expect it to be and I need to emphasize we may seem to have proximity to the mountains and beaches and from wyoming it probably seems very close but realistically these are like seasonal vacations for us (3-4 hour drive) so its not realistic to expect this to be something you could regularly do. even less with work and family duties.

Unfortunately Chapel Hill has accumulated a rather premium entry fee from a home owning perspective so consider that.

regarding cancer we are historically a big tobacco state with a deep history in cigarettes so i guess that's why. This isn't somethingi would worry about.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:46 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Can someone address the OP'S need for dirt bike trails? I'm unaware of ANY, but I haven't really looked. . .

Otherwise, my thoughts were fairly close to Hey Guy.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can someone address the OP'S need for dirt bike trails? I'm unaware of ANY, but I haven't really looked. . .

Otherwise, my thoughts were fairly close to Hey Guy.
Although not that close to Chapel Hill (45 min?) I see some people riding dirt bikes at a place on Avent Ferry road in Holly Springs. It is private land, and I am not sure who owns it or how to get permission to ride there. I believe it is gated. There is also a place in Bunn, NC that has some trails. I think they have a yearly membership.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_1481.htm

NC Outdoor Adventures - North Carolina Motorcycle and ATV Trails

Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
also as far a high rates of cancer-I think you have to take into account the people who have moved here from the northeast; particularly Long Island, which is a breast cancer cluster. I think New Jersey has some clusters too.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Some of the surrounding rural areas might be more amenable to dirt bikes — there are certainly plenty of folks in NC that do like dirt bikes and ATVs, but Chapel Hill is probably the least likely area in the state for that. Chapel Hill is very centered around the university and very academically oriented. Maybe check out Hillsborough or Mebane if you want to be close to UNC. I think the area around Asheboro, while a little further away, would have a lot of dirt bike trails in the Uwharrie mountains, too (foothills to you fr Wyoming).

No fracking (yet) in NC and very little mining. Historically, lots of tobacco. It's very sunny here in the summer, so skin cancer is not uncommon, but if you take precautions there are a lot of trees so a lot of shade potential. Wear a hat!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
A lot of people who are from here consider the beaches and mountains "close" but it's all relative - if you are used to going skiing or snowmobiling 10-15 minutes away (same with going to the beach, surfing) you're going to be sorely disappointed as the distances are measured in hours. Those activities will not be a part of your life in any way that you're used to.

The health care is not going to be an issue. I have a friend who has two hemophiliac children, they receive care at UNC.

Can't speak to the riding trails but we have some bike enthusiasts here that will probably chime in.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:00 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
If money is of some concern you should expand your search to include areas other than Chapel Hill.

Also, I'm not sure about the cancer numbers. Personally I can tell you that I knew way more people with cancer on Long Island than I do down here. Someone suggested earlier that the local numbers may be tainted by the strong relocation community and there's something to that.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
For dirtbiking:

If the OP and kids ride track, there's Devils Ridge in Sanford. Easy Mx style track for all skill levels.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:57 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Leave it to the NYers to take credit for everything they can for NC!

NC has had one of the highest tobacco-use rates in the country for generations. Rural areas of the south also tend to have a much higher obesity rate than the national average; and there is a strong correlation with cancer rates and obesity rates.

It's not all about you NYers! haha

Teacher jobs in Chapel Hill are very, very competitive. It's one of the highest-paying districts in the state (which isn't saying much) and it's a small, high-performing, district which is generally appealing for teachers.

OP didn't state a housing budget; but Chapel Hill is one of the most expensive housing markets in the state.

Also agree with others that while Chapel Hill and the rest of the Triangle is nice and centrally located within a state that has both beaches and mountains....those are weekend trips folks take a few times a year....not regular day-outings.

The mountains of NC will seem like speedbumps compared to Wyoming....but anywhere in NC sure is a lot closer to the ocean than anywhere in Wyoming..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary