Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,871 times

Advertisements

Having been here 20 years now, I have to say that, yes, I am considering moving away from here. Originally, Durham was a big small town. I loved it. It has completely changed and in ways I personally do not like. BUT as I travel around the US, it seems to me that growth is a problem *everywhere* there was once something good. Population is simply growing. Developers pretty much have their way over local governments. It is a national malaise. Thinking that you can leave here and find "someplace better" might just be a pipe dream.

Perhaps the solution is to redefine your "something better" in new terms. Of course, I find that hard to do, and I think many others do as well.

"Give me land, lots of land, and the blue sky above..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 AM

403 posts, read 353,333 times
For those people that would prefer multiple acres of land, dirt roads (or 30 year old, in bad need of repair roads), no public utilities, no arts, no universities, low income, poorly educated, poorly funded school system, high taxes, out of this world expensive auto insurance and outrageous heating bills, I would agree that somewhere other than here would be best for them. Having come from NE, I can attest that you will get everything you want up there.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
For those people that would prefer multiple acres of land, dirt roads (or 30 year old, in bad need of repair roads), no public utilities, no arts, no universities, low income, poorly educated, poorly funded school system, high taxes, out of this world expensive auto insurance and outrageous heating bills, I would agree that somewhere other than here would be best for them. Having come from NE, I can attest that you will get everything you want up there.
Really! NE as in northeast? (guess you could be referring to Nebraska ). It lacks public utilities, arts, universities, and has poorly educated people, poorly funded schools....... ? Do you have data to support this? What a broad brush you use to bash everywhere else but Raleigh.....

Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Default Moderator Note:

No hijacking please.

It is very simple. The OP is looking to see who may be leaving this area.
Please stay on topic.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:34 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
We've been here almost 2 years, and are planning on moving to Maine next year. We're leaving partly due to school issues and worsening traffic, but mainly it's because we miss winter! Real winter, with snow and all! We all have our preferences, and luckily we're able to fulfill our dream.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
We're moving to Seattle next year. I've been here 6 years and its getting boring. I need to get somewhere where summer is full of 70 degree days instead of 95 so that I can go hiking.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

312 posts, read 1,904,976 times
I've been here for 2 years. So far, I've thought about moving, but for our son's sake, he's happier with his school and sport activities so we're going to stay until he graduate high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary