Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Going backwards as a society and there is an increase of hate across the entire country which has me concerned.
Been watching that trend for the last 4-5 years. Something sure divided our nation about that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 PM

61 posts, read 54,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You left off an important part of your quote explaining that the conduct code applies when the conduct in question has or is reasonable expected to have an impact on school operation or safety at school.
No way can the school discipline just because a student does something wrong at home.
Maybe this video fits that criteria, maybe not..

Excerpt from Wake Code of Student Conduct
"This code applies to any student who is on school property, (which also includes any school transportation), who is in attendance at school or at any school-sponsored activity, or whose conduct at any time, place, or cyberspace, on or off campus, has or is reasonably expected to have a direct and immediate impact on the orderly and efficient operation of the schools or the safety of individuals in the school environment."

The problem is that the video was widely circulated among students at a school where minority students make up half the population. If you're the principal, you've got to wonder what kind of message it sends if the kids receive no punishment. It looks like the kids were suspended for the school disturbance violation, which is a Level 2 offense subject to up to a 5-day suspension.

Also, if you say that there's no way a kid can be suspended for off-campus activity, does that mean cyberbullying is allowed? What about if a kid gets into a gang fight off school property and there's a worry it will spread on campus? What about the kid who is arrested for drug dealing and is released to the custody of his guardian?

Old 03-11-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaleighite View Post
The problem is that the video was widely circulated among students at a school where minority students make up half the population. If you're the principal, you've got to wonder what kind of message it sends if the kids receive no punishment. It looks like the kids were suspended for the school disturbance violation, which is a Level 2 offense subject to up to a 5-day suspension.

Also, if you say that there's no way a kid can be suspended for off-campus activity, does that mean cyberbullying is allowed? What about if a kid gets into a gang fight off school property and there's a worry it will spread on campus? What about the kid who is arrested for drug dealing and is released to the custody of his guardian?

I didn't say that they can't be suspended for off-campus activity.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Been watching that trend for the last 4-5 years. Something sure divided our nation about that time.
Hate is not new. Just more ways to broadcast and witness it. The more time you spend watching TV or spend on social media the more you are exposed to the ills of society.

Most people are spending more time in front of a "screen" than they were 5 years ago. With the popularity of twitter, Facebook, and other media like YouTube and 24 hour cable news stations your dose of negativity is just a click away.

I like to stay informed too, but it is nice to pull the plug every now and then and disconnect and not watch news and stay off social media for a few days. Try it sometime (directed at nobody in particular here) ~> Your outlook on life and overall mood in general will improve as a result.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hate is not new. Just more ways to broadcast and witness it. The more time you spend watching TV or spend on social media the more you are exposed to the ills of society.

Most people are spending more time in front of a "screen" than they were 5 years ago. With the popularity of twitter, Facebook, and other media like YouTube and 24 hour cable news stations your dose of negativity is just a click away.

I like to stay informed too, but it is nice to pull the plug every now and then and disconnect and not watch news and stay off social media for a few days. Try it sometime (directed at nobody in particular here) ~> Your outlook on life and overall mood in general will improve as a result.
Good advice for mental well being. If you keep a good balance it's possible to paying attention to things in the world and have a good outlook & overall mood.

Hate is not new, but I think our country is more divided than it used to be. And it didn't start in the past year. But the media does seem to perpetuate the negative and not the good in our country.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Again, just to reiterate, you misread what I wrote.
I interpret the Wake County Code of Conduct to mean that
the school can discipline if the conduct in question has an impact on school operation or student safety at school (or reasonable is expected to have).

That probably leaves the school lots of leeway but if legally challenged I think they would have to
support how it affected things at school or how they think it would have.

This was an interesting read with examples of some legal challenges to school discipline for conduct outside of school.
When schools can discipline off-campus behavior | SafeKids.com

Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
If one of these kids were one of my own, the last thing they would have to worry about was the discipline enacted by the school. Unfortunately, it seems many parents are embracing the hatred of others at an alarming rate. Just yesterday, I read of a KKK rally that will be taking place in Ashboro on May 6th. I guess I was naive in thinking these type of things were no more.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
If one of these kids were one of my own, the last thing they would have to worry about was the discipline enacted by the school.
Exactly..

Old 03-12-2017, 01:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:

Her quote from the code of conduct answers her question. it occurred and was released in cyberspace per the policy and it was reasonable to disrupt school campus thus it was a violation.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Again, just to reiterate, you misread what I wrote.
I interpret the Wake County Code of Conduct to mean that
the school can discipline if the conduct in question has an impact on school operation or student safety at school (or reasonable is expected to have).

That probably leaves the school lots of leeway but if legally challenged I think they would have to
support how it affected things at school or how they think it would have.

This was an interesting read with examples of some legal challenges to school discipline for conduct outside of school.
When schools can discipline off-campus behavior | SafeKids.com
I understand your question and would note for you the article you linked I believe was dated 2009. School law/policy and social media are very different from then. There was a day when if you got off the bus and the bus pulled away and you got into a fight it was not a school event. That has changed. It creates considerable debate but as you can see it is easier to intervene on the side of doing something rather than nothing.

Administrators need only be able to articulate they had probable cause to believe it would be disruptive to the school and in this case any administrator worth their weight would be able to. Remember if also involves the safety of the students making the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary