Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:19 PM

152 posts, read 209,112 times

Advertisements

I am flying to Toronto for the 5/20 weekend. Any suggestions on when to buy the tickets? Air Canada does have direct flights and I am wondering if those prices will drop....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
I don't think anyone understands or can predict airline pricing. This says Sunday, more than 21 days in advance, is the best time to buy:

"But the latest study by Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Corporation says that 2017 "could be a banner year for travelers taking to the skies," with a new ideal time to book. Based on billions (yes, billions) of passenger flights from January 1, 2016, through October 24, 2016, the study concluded that the best day to buy airline tickets is Sunday, especially if you're booking more than 21 days in advance. Weekends are generally a good time to buy, but not Fridays, since there's an uptick then in business travel bookings. Do this and you "can save more than 30 percent to Europe and 17 percent on travel domestically," says the study."

The Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets - Condé Nast Traveler

This says Tuesday:

"Here’s the definitive answer: The best time to book an airline ticket is Tuesday afternoon, when most airlines have matched fare sales from competitors."

When to Buy Airline Tickets to Get The Cheapest Fare - Barron's

This agrees with Sunday, more than 21 days in advance:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.60f981d1d11a

Old 03-14-2017, 01:30 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
My hunch: this is about as low as they'll get. If you buy a ticket 12 months in advance, the airlines assume that you are desperate to lock in a specific flight and they'll price accordingly. If you buy a ticket 12 days in advance, the airlines assume that you are equally desperate. Somewhere in between, you have the advantage as a buyer. My experience is that 3 months is about optimum.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
My hunch: this is about as low as they'll get. If you buy a ticket 12 months in advance, the airlines assume that you are desperate to lock in a specific flight and they'll price accordingly. If you buy a ticket 12 days in advance, the airlines assume that you are equally desperate. Somewhere in between, you have the advantage as a buyer. My experience is that 3 months is about optimum.
Last statistics I've read indicated 57-62 days out was the best time to buy, so we're not that far apart. OP should check a few travel websites that track this kind of thing. I know the information is out there. BTW - Toronto is a tremendous city to visit. The middle of May should be a great time to be there, so much so that you might be paying a bit of a premium for it.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:09 PM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Google Flights is your best friend. It takes 1 minute to check everyday until you feel comfortable to pull the trigger.

Forget any wisdom that you have heard about a certain number of days out to buy. You don't care about the average of 1000s of flights from hundreds of airports. You only care about your particular flight. Each airport, date, airline, route, etc. can vary wildly in price. It doesn't make sense to use long term averages on something that deviates so much and has so many variables.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
You might get a deal if you did a one stop connection in Dulles, Philly, Charlotte, or New York, but most likely the price Air Canada is charging this far out is about as good as it gets. They have a monopoly on all 4 non stop flights per day between RDU and Toronto in the spring so they have little incentive to lower the price and probably fill most of the seats with business travelers paying for a nonstop. When you move to a one-stop, a less premium product, there is then a lot of competition depending on times and connecting airports so that drives the price down. Keep an eye out on it, but it may just go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary