Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 AM

104 posts, read 271,508 times

Advertisements

We bought a resale in BC in 2016. We looked at new construction by the same builder for the same price and found that, for the money, we could get a home with a better lot that offered more privacy and nicer landscaping, closer to the entrance, with many more upgrades, by going with a resale. It's possible that the builder was investing more in the earlier "older" homes in order to attract buyers. Now that the neighborhood is more established (and popular), and the market is better, a builder may get away with offering less home for the money. That's just my observation. We are very happy here BTW. There are lots of beautiful walking trails in addition to the bike trails. The drive in and out of the 'hood is so relaxing...like a meditation. Feel free to DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:47 AM

264 posts, read 238,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater454 View Post
We bought a resale in BC in 2016. We looked at new construction by the same builder for the same price and found that, for the money, we could get a home with a better lot that offered more privacy and nicer landscaping, closer to the entrance, with many more upgrades, by going with a resale. It's possible that the builder was investing more in the earlier "older" homes in order to attract buyers. Now that the neighborhood is more established (and popular), and the market is better, a builder may get away with offering less home for the money. That's just my observation. We are very happy here BTW. There are lots of beautiful walking trails in addition to the bike trails. The drive in and out of the 'hood is so relaxing...like a meditation. Feel free to DM me.
I am interested in the BC community, but I haven't had the opportunity to tour it as of yet. Do you happen to know if there are any single people w/out children purchasing homes at BC?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
My husband and I looked at Briar Chapel, and it's got some good things going for it, but there were a few things that turned us off.

The back yards (of the homes we saw) are indeed small, but the distance between the houses on either side is miniscule, less space than we've ever seen in a development. I'm all for closeness, but the homes just seemed jammed in together.

The other thing was the huge power structures/lines. We (wrongly) figured a new development would have underground utilities. A huge eyesore, and maybe potential health risk living near/under those. If I recall correctly, the tennis courts are right under the power lines. We have noticed these huge power line structures a lot throughout NC. We now live in SC in a new development, and don't have anything like that. Why don't they put everything underground?

Beyond that, it's very nice, although the road in is quite long, and it's too bad they didn't develop the commercial like a little village like Meadowmont or Southern Village rather than just strip development at the far end of the subdivision. It would be nice also if they paved some of the trails (easier to see the Copperhead snakes), although that probably goes against their "green" theme.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

The other thing was the huge power structures/lines. We (wrongly) figured a new development would have underground utilities. A huge eyesore, and maybe potential health risk living near/under those. If I recall correctly, the tennis courts are right under the power lines. We have noticed these huge power line structures a lot throughout NC. We now live in SC in a new development, and don't have anything like that. Why don't they put everything underground?
Here Yahoo go Electric users ask: Why not put power lines underground? - CNN

Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 AM

25 posts, read 35,749 times
The power lines going through the development are just that - they are long distance transmission lines that go through, but not to, the development.

Power distribution to and within the development is entirely underground (as are all other utilities). The tennis courts are adjacent to, but not under, the power lines.

There is one set of homes (Beacon Ridge) which seems unexpected close to the power lines, but it is not a general problem.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
That's odd. So the power lines/structures are not on Briar Chapel's property?

We've never seen this phenomenon (huge power structures/lines running through developments) other than in NC.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:

We've never seen this phenomenon (huge power structures/lines running through developments) other than in NC.
Areas in the Phoenix suburbs have them.

More importantly, the Pepper Fest is in Brier chapel this weekend. http://pepperfestnc.org

Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
there are transmissions lines and distribution lines. distribution (little) is local. transmission (big) is regional. depending upon the
construction dates (or "sign off"), some transmissions are grandfathered in or guaranteed unrestricted right-of-way. Brier Chapel is new. transmission is old.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:02 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:

It definitely exists in a lot of other places, too. I've seen them in PA, MD, VA, FL, etc.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:00 AM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Everything in BC looks great, then people move in and poof, trouble. Homes way too close, some of the rear driveways are so tight what in the world are the developers thinking.People have very big vehicles and many will not fit on the driveways. You know when they move in what happens, and what will the HOA do? Nothing So there will become issues with parking and neighbors and basketball hoops on driveways and barking dogs.... Whoa, I sound like that guy but I am not . Just want to make a good decision going into our new home going forward. We had put money down earlier this spring and decided after a few walks and drives and runs through the neighborhood that living that close when the section was built out would be nothing more than detached townhouse living at near 400K with a 275K neighbor. It was noisy it was crowded in certain sections. The areas that are with larger lots put you in 500+K homes, not what we wanted to do in this economy . Powerlines, funny there is a buyer for every lot, that was told to us by a sales person in a home development back in NJ that had the same towers. They sold all of them. So it is not an issue for some. It is for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary