Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 AM

103 posts, read 183,990 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've found this forum to be a goldmine, so thanks to all who contribute. My "young family" (30 y/o couple with 11 month old, from Baltimore/Annapolis area of Maryland) will be staying in Cary for 2 nights next week and looking for some suggestions. So far it seems like Pullen Park would be a solid choice, as would downtown Chapel Hill (we'll have a car) and Duke Gardens. We enjoy anywhere that is baby-friendly of course, and it's not a ton of time, but please let me know of any must-sees this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Is this a prospecting trip or just leisure?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Kids love Pullen Park. Too bad your little one is so young because the activities will be limited.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM

I am obsessed with Pullen Park. If I retire in the Triangle I want to drive that train. Seriously.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is this a prospecting trip or just leisure?
Mostly the former, but enough time (1/2 day before heading home) for leisure, including a Friday night, so hopefully there are some good options!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaaCo View Post
Mostly the former, but enough time (1/2 day before heading home) for leisure, including a Friday night, so hopefully there are some good options!
Personally I'd spend as much time as you can just checking out different areas and neighborhoods. Go to supermarkets, walmart, all the stupid stuff that you would do at home. Try out commutes during rush hour if you have any idea of where you may be working.

Three days isn't much time - you can do all the fun stuff once you move down

Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Quote:
Go to supermarkets, walmart, all the stupid stuff that you would do at home. )
Walmart come to Raleigh and spend time in a Walmart.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Walmart come to Raleigh and spend time in a Walmart.
Laugh all you want, but the clientele in a Walmart can be very telling. When you're coming to check out an area, you don't go out and do all the fun cool things that make the area great. You come and do day to day things to see what real life is like.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM

I hear you, I don't know if I'd like to spend the majority of time in grocery stores but I may stop by a few!! Thanks again. Looking like weather should be nice, so any outdoor spots with easy parking and lots of walking areas that are must-sees?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Laugh all you want, but the clientele in a Walmart can be very telling. When you're coming to check out an area, you don't go out and do all the fun cool things that make the area great. You come and do day to day things to see what real life is like.
Unless you usually shop at Walmart I don't know why on earth you'd go there. I can't remember the last time I went to a Walmart. It's been years. No way would I recommend that as representative of Raleigh or the Triangle.

I would suggest doing the things that you might actually do as a resident of our area on a weekend.

I'd suggest going to a Durham Bulls baseball game if there's a home game while you're in town. It's a great family atmosphere at an excellent small ball park. You can check out the American Tobacco Campus adjacent to it — lots of great restaurants and a grassy area where you can let the little one run around. You can also visit the DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) right next door and see a show, or just see the listing for upcoming shows.

While you're in Durham you might like to check out the Museum of Life and Science. It's a little outside the age range for a toddler, best for school age kids IMO, but there's plenty for toddlers to do, too. Sarah P. Duke Gardens should be just gorgeous, too.

Back in Raleigh, in addition to Pullen Park you might like to check out Marbles Kids Museum, which is great for your little one.

In Chapel Hill, you might like to check out Morehead Planetarium. It's also nice to take a stroll on campus. The Coker Arboretum is right behind the Morehead Planetarium. Beautiful little space for soaking up a little nature. All of UNC's campus is great to walk around. If gardens are your thing, it would be worth checking out the big NC botanical garden too. For the little one, you might check out Kidzu at University Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary