Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 17,045 times

Advertisements

Can anybody furnish any information on the West Lake development in Cary being built by DR Horton? Went through there recently & was impressed.
Any pros or cons would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,310,715 times
I've shown in there a few times. Each time, my clients end up at The Park at West Lake. Its mainly due to buying a DR Horton house versus a custom builder. However, for a big builder, I like DR Horton. I have noticed the prices have gone up quite a bit. Homes are large but not alot of custom features. Still, you could always add the crown mouldings, etc. later.

Vicki

Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 AM

275 posts, read 1,116,082 times
Beware! There is a large sewage processing plant at the end of West Lake road. We almost bought there...we loved the home, and there was this nice buffer behind it that the realtor said would never be built behind. We visited one more time and were almost knocked over by the smell....so we went looking around and found it...behind the nice buffer area. The realtor never told us.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:52 AM

229 posts, read 1,055,955 times
Yes, the treatment plant is at the end of West Lake past the schools and past the Park at West Lake. The neighborhood closest to the plant is a Drees neighborood. The DR Horton (The Park at West Lake) is a little bit further down the road.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM

202 posts, read 951,903 times
Is this where the treatment plant is? Isn't there a bunch of schools right by there? Do the kids smell this when they are outside at recess?

http://imaps.co.wake.nc.us/imaps/mai...pin=0679214790

Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,310,715 times
I had two buyers at The Park at West Lake and one seller.

I ALWAYS disclose these issues to my buyers and sellers. Sellers sign a disclosure that makes the new buyers aware of these things and if the seller doesn't disclose it, the agent should.

I believe the Water Treatment Plant has some type of odor reduction device now. It hasn't hurt the sales at The Park at West Lake but I do believe that buyers need to always drive around an area and check out what is nearby and see what bothers you. Noise (airport) and smell is subjective.

I just sold a re sale...only 42 days on market and I don't even want to tell you how much appreciation that house has. It amazed me!

Vicki

Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM

83 posts, read 352,941 times
Default West Lake Area

I agree with Vicky about the sales at the Parks at West Lakes - the sewage treatment plant has not hurt their sales. I had a long talk with the town of Cary just before I sold a home in that subdivision. They implemented a new system to cut down on the odor from the plant. When they receive complaints, they increase the treatment chemicals to reduce the order.

In regardst to DR Horton - I have heard lots of pros and cons about DR Horton. If you are looking for good square footage as opposed to features, they are a good buy. My home inspector said that he had done several inspections in that subdivisions and found a few more things than normal that needed to be fixed but nothing major.

Summary - if you really like them and don't mind staying on them about the warranty issues, they are a good buy. Great location inregards to getting to Cary, Apex, Raleigh, Holly Springs. The elementary and middle schools are year round. Kids don't have to go far for school!

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
BHI

2 posts, read 11,044 times
Default The Park at West Lake

The Park at West Lake is a custom home neighborhood as opposed to production homes by tract builders. The builders in The Park at West Lake do not build in Wescott. If anyone has concerns about the waste treatment plant at the end of West Lake road they should call the Town of Cary Utilities Department and speak to Mr Bonne. West Lake schools are very good.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,229 times
I live in Drees neighborhood at PWL. The sewage treatment plant has been here for a long time, prior to the start of construction of this development. Until 3-4 years ago this was farm country and raw woods, so open tank treatment plant was not a problem. When we first moved in, Dec 2005, and summer 06, we could smell the plant occasionally, really depending on the wind direction. For us, about 1/2 mile away, the smell was minimal and never a concern, but we did reserach it as much as we could before we bought here. My wife called the plant manager and discussed it with him. Some residents in the Woodlands section of PWL are much closer to it, and their complaints prompted Town of Cary to act. Fall 2006 upgrades to the plant sealed the treatment tanks so the smell should not escape to the atmosphere. We have not smelled the plant at all this year. and we have noticed a marked reduction in the amount of flies in the backyard, but not sure if it's related. Our kids play with neighbors that live 300 feet from it and those homeowners never mention the plant smell. I think they have fixed it.

Other than that, this neighborhood is awesome. Drees section is sold out and our valuations continue to rise because of this great location. Our three kids walk to school at Westlake ELementary, there are tons of kids here, 2 pools, private and quiet neighborhood, very family friendly, active neighbors that stay in touch and socialize together.

The Westlake neighborhood you mentioned, built by DR Horton is a great place too. I know several people living there. That is not related to PWL. It is across the street from Middle Creek elementary, but the noise from the school is not a problem.
Rich

Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,095,095 times
I live in the Park at West Lake and there are portions of Capulin Crest that back right up to the treatment plant. Now that is a little too close for comfort no matter what odor controls might be in place! Anyway, we are very happy here and we have not noticed any odors for quite a while. We have been very happy here. They just opened the large pool & it is AWESOME!!! We looked in Sunset Oaks and the fees to join the Swim Club were outrageous!! We have a pool that is just as nice as the one there & so much cheaper!! The pools are included in our $300 per year homeowner's dues. Can't beat that esp. when you compare it to Sunset Oaks & Sunset Ridge.

The homes here are very nice! Hardwood floors, granite countertops, tiled bathrooms, screened porches - all standard!!!

Now DR Horton.... Well it's just a HUGE BOX!! Great square footage, but not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary