Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Of course everything being equal people want the better house for the same money. Thing is, everything is not usually equal. I'd take (and have taken) the smaller crappier house for the better location, amenities and schools. Eventually every house needs work....and trading up is not always a possibility or even desired once you get used to a neighborhood/area (that's the NYer in me talking....people around here are much more likely to move around town for any old reason). But new houses become old so unless they plan to move into new construction every 5 years, eventually they will pay the piper (plumber,electrician, roofer, etc). Smart shoppers keep the big picture in mind.
Oh, I was seriously referring to two houses, same neighborhood, both on fairly desirable lots/good location within the neighborhood and one looks like it hasn't been cleaned or updated since it was built and the other looks like the inside of a showroom.

And both are priced the same.

That blows my mind.

You'd need to have the best location in the neighborhood, a better yard, more square footage and room to expand for a person with any sense to pick your house over the house that looks like all you have to do is walk in and start living there.

Know what I mean? I have seen that around here more than once and I am amazed that anyone thinks people want to buy their beat up junk when there's another house nearby with the same draw only in better shape.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi_s View Post
We had seen some of the houses on Bellewood Manor in Feb and assumed they would be gone by this time. The houses were fine except on one street that looked like it will get very busy and no street parking.

I am surprised to see some of the interior houses still on the market. We are looking at Weycroft as well and hard to tell sitting in CT why some houses in the same division are in "Pending" quick.

We will hopefully be shopping in late June if we can sell our home. We are likely going to look for 2-3 days; then consider new construction perhaps in Ridgefield Farms. Or decide to rent for 6 months, if we don't have a good feeling.

After looking at the quality of new construction at Taylor Morrison/Ashton Woods, we'd consider a house that needs renovation; but these appear to be priced close to new. Again, I am commenting only from online pictures.

The talk about Entertainment space is interesting. We did a lot more when our kids were under 6 (playdates, birthdays etc.). Now it is more like twice a year.
As my oldest enters high-school in a year, I am hearing that it gets very busy.
If you're looking in places like Bellewood and Weycroft, you might also want to consider Cameron Pond (the side furthest from 540), Highcroft, and The Reserve, as well as the custom homes in Cary Park.

Or Carpenter Village, maybe Preston Village. These should all get you near the RTP area and schools that will be desirable, with homes in the size range you're thinking of and you may find a good deal and not have to be looking at expensive tract.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, I was seriously referring to two houses, same neighborhood, both on fairly desirable lots/good location within the neighborhood and one looks like it hasn't been cleaned or updated since it was built and the other looks like the inside of a showroom.

And both are priced the same.

That blows my mind.

You'd need to have the best location in the neighborhood, a better yard, more square footage and room to expand for a person with any sense to pick your house over the house that looks like all you have to do is walk in and start living there.

Know what I mean? I have seen that around here more than once and I am amazed that anyone thinks people want to buy their beat up junk when there's another house nearby with the same draw only in better shape.
BUT, the beat-up looking house knows that the nice one will sell so fast that soon the beat-up one will be the only one available. Aggravating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 34,158 times
Quote:
If you're looking in places like Bellewood and Weycroft, you might also want to consider Cameron Pond (the side furthest from 540), Highcroft, and The Reserve, as well as the custom homes in Cary Park.

Or Carpenter Village, maybe Preston Village. These should all get you near the RTP area and schools that will be desirable, with homes in the size range you're thinking of and you may find a good deal and not have to be looking at expensive tract.
Yes; We are looking at Cameron Pond, HighCroft as well. Preston Village seemed to be too hot, so I stopped looking. I finally found a site where I could plug-in specific subdivisions and search. I was looking only at Zillow and going nuts.

What is a fair discount for a 10 year old house? $50K?

Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yes; We are looking at Cameron Pond, HighCroft as well. Preston Village seemed to be too hot, so I stopped looking. I finally found a site where I could plug-in specific subdivisions and search. I was looking only at Zillow and going nuts.

None if the comps support the price. Does your realtor have extensive experience in West Cary?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 AM

360 posts, read 400,777 times
Quote:
We had seen some of the houses on Bellewood Manor in Feb and assumed they would be gone by this time. The houses were fine except on one street that looked like it will get very busy and no street parking.

I am surprised to see some of the interior houses still on the market. We are looking at Weycroft as well and hard to tell sitting in CT why some houses in the same division are in "Pending" quick.

We will hopefully be shopping in late June if we can sell our home. We are likely going to look for 2-3 days; then consider new construction perhaps in Ridgefield Farms. Or decide to rent for 6 months, if we don't have a good feeling.

After looking at the quality of new construction at Taylor Morrison/Ashton Woods, we'd consider a house that needs renovation; but these appear to be priced close to new. Again, I am commenting only from online pictures.

The talk about Entertainment space is interesting. We did a lot more when our kids were under 6 (playdates, birthdays etc.). Now it is more like twice a year.
As my oldest enters high-school in a year, I am hearing that it gets very busy.

Anyway, I am glad that the market will allow us to possibly look at both houses in person to evaluate
There's ton of new construction activity happening near green level church and green level west intersection. Technically it's under Apex zip code 27523 but no different from 27519. In fact the new green level high school looks really nice. The new white oak elementary school has gotten excellent reviews.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 AM

43,340 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:

Quote:
None if the comps support the price. ...
Exactly.

Well....

None if the comps support the price and condition. Comparable sales. If the 10 year old comps reasonably support a price at $XYZ, there is little reason for the seller to consider accepting $XYZ - $50,000.

If the ten year old house is priced to market, trying to get $50,000 knocked off is going to be an exercise in futility.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. And oftentimes in a market like this the seller becomes hard to deal with. They aren't really ready to move, they are just doing it because they think they can cash out at a sky high price. I'd avoid that house for this reason as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Quote:

If you are asking if you will get $50K off the listed price, I think you need to discuss buying in this area, with your Realtor.

Once you find a home you like, your Realtor will need to QUICKLY pull the comps. If the home you are considering isn't updated, she should compare that home with others in similar situation.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Exactly.

Well....

None if the comps support the price and condition. Comparable sales. If the 10 year old comps reasonably support a price at $XYZ, there is little reason for the seller to consider accepting $XYZ - $50,000.

If the ten year old house is priced to market, trying to get $50,000 knocked off is going to be an exercise in futility.
Yeah. I should have specified. ACTUAL comps. Not the new house compared to the 10yo house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary