Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:35 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,838,664 times

Advertisements

Was pretty shocked at the crime rate for Durham in 2016.. Looks like the murder rate is almost on par with some other fairly violent metros, such as Memphis, Tennessee. Durham had a murder rate of like 17.0 / 100,000 compared to Memphis which was about 20.5/ 100,000.

I hear there is serious gang issue in Durham and most of the murders involve gang and drug warfare. Can anyone tell me which part of Durham is most plagued with this massive crime epidemic in the city? Does the crime in Durham spill over to Raleigh or surrounding areas?

I was considering living in Durham if I move to the Triangle, but after reading the crime statistics I think I will reconsider and look at Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill or one of the other cities in the Triangle, instead.

Here is the article where I read about this violent crime epidemic and record high murder rate in the city for last year:
Violent crime in Durham: Homicides, shootings remain high in 2016 | News & Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,329 times
The article is talking about treating violence as a disease.

I agree. The cure can easily be administered by Duke Energy. Years ago, repeat felons with 3 or more serious felonies were branded predicate felons and executed or put away for life.

Coddling criminals, as is done in Durham, is a waste.

Supply jobs to those who can be helped. The rest need a good dose of high voltage.

Sorry if this offends some liberals, but you need to face facts.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
Durham crime map from SpotCrime:
https://spotcrime.com/nc/durham

Durham crime map link that is listed on the Durham Police Department website:
LexisNexis® Community Crime Map

Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The article is talking about treating violence as a disease.

I agree. The cure can easily be administered by Duke Energy. Years ago, repeat felons with 3 or more serious felonies were branded predicate felons and executed or put away for life.

Coddling criminals, as is done in Durham, is a waste.

Supply jobs to those who can be helped. The rest need a good dose of high voltage.

Sorry if this offends some liberals, but you need to face facts.
Geez, dude, we all know that you hate living in the Triangle - maybe someplace that practices Sharia law would suit you better.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 05-29-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 AM

43,352 posts, read 77,219,919 times
From the article:
Turf wars
Many of those involved have a gang background, Glenn said, but the driving factor seems to be drug sales and turf wars.
Michelle Young, project manager for Durham gang prevention and intervention program Project Build, linked some of the shootings and deaths to conflicts among several different groups and neighborhoods.
“Some of (the conflicts) go back decades and for whatever reason they just kind of popped up,” this year and last year, she said.
One violent act, she said, starts a retribution cycle.

Read more here: Violent crime in Durham: Homicides, shootings remain high in 2016 | News & Observer

CapitalBlvd can take comfort knowing that they are saving us a ton of money in court costs and Duke Power bills.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:09 AM

74 posts, read 67,646 times
Often times, "having a gang background" gets interpreted as having a record associated with a larger, well-known gang.

However, a gang only needs to be two or more friends that are organized, and once they start working designated territories they have by definition become organized are therefore a gang by definition. It doesn't matter if they are a bunch of giggly high school girls that are arranging drug buys, they are still participating in organized criminal activity.

Most people won't consider this a gang, but once any of the participants cross the line into violent crime as a result of collaborating and organizing, they are a gang. A small one maybe, and perhaps a less glamorous local franchise, but still a gang.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,863 times
There is no epidemic. Propaganda for gentrification however is. I've experienced murders that have been swept under the rug first hand in Raleigh. Raleigh is one the facetious cities in America. Durham is far from a warzone.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:07 AM

390 posts, read 367,139 times
Generally speaking, Durham feels an incredibly safe city to me. Having lived in some truly sketch places (New Haven, CT), there is no comparison. My wife feels safe walking around Durham alone at night. I didn't feel safe walking around New Haven alone during the day. (I'm using that as an example, but I've certainly had similar experiences with other cities).

Truthfully, I think a lot depends on your situation and finances. If you are middle to upper-middle class or above, it's generally very easy to avoid crime most anywhere. If you are poor and need to live in a low-income area I(as sad as this is) it becomes much more difficult. This is largely true in Durham since it's pretty concentrated in East Durham, though I'd argue a bit easier to escape here just because COL is so low overall.

Basically, don't go buy crack at 2 AM and there is a good chance you'll never notice the crime outside of people who don't live in Durham or spend time there telling you how unsafe it is. Many high level professionals live here (Duke faculty, RTP scientists) and I promise they aren't all robbed on a daily basis.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 AM
SGW

16 posts, read 23,376 times
Raleigh is one the facetious cities in America.

facetious

1. 1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish just being facetious
  2. 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious a facetious remark

Grammar police here....

Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW View Post
Raleigh is one the facetious cities in America.

facetious

1. 1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish just being facetious
  2. 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious a facetious remark

Grammar police here....
Thanks. Organic auto correct. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary