Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:28 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times

Advertisements

Our house was new when we bought it in 2009 (built in 2008) and now the heat pump's AC unit is low on refrigerant. We had a few refrigerant refills but now it looks like we need to replace the coil. My questions: how long should I expect AC units to last here? Is this climate tougher on AC units? Do heat pump AC units not last as long? I've heard several people who have had to replace their AC unit after less than 10 years. In my past homes they would last 20+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I think this is a short life.
But, if it was a rock bottom builder grade unit, it may have had a 5 year barebones warranty.
Check your paperwork for model number and a search online may get you more information from other users.

Have you had a leak test done on the system? Is there a lot of corrosion?
Really, you shouldn't have to recharge refrigerant "a few times" in less than 10 years. I would look for a leaking fitting or tube.
I have seen refrigerant tubes nicked in the walls by nails or screws during or after construction.

I replaced my gaspack when it was 9 years old, but have a split system gas furnace/ac that is 23 years old and working like a champ without any corrosion.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
Is there a reputable home ac mechanic to check refrigerant level? No, I don't want to use Justin referred to here.

Most of them don't really measure superheat, subcooling, return air temperature, temperature of the air at the vents etc... not use the charts provided with the unit. I.e. they don't seem to do detailed measurements.

thanks.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Ours second floor unit isn't working either. Justin not answering, and Matson Mechanical isn't able to come till Thursday. WAHHHHHHH! Let's have a cryfest!

PS The unit is 6 years old.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Nothing beats HVAC problems when it is dead of winter or mid-summer and all the good guys are swamped with emergency calls!

This is why I like dual zone, with two pieces of equipment. You can stay somewhat habitable.
When the new single unit, dampered zoning goes down, you are really stuck.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ours second floor unit isn't working either.
The Voice Of Experience says ...

If the A/C was working well and quit suddenly, inspect the condensate catch pan beneath the air handler (inside unit). It should be dry. If you find a pool of water, the float switch cut off the unit. {Thank you, float switch, for preventing a flood!}

In this case clear the condensate line and remove the pool.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM

190 posts, read 200,214 times
you might have run into this issue:

https://www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com/

Old 07-03-2017, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Is there a reputable home ac mechanic to check refrigerant level? No, I don't want to use Justin referred to here.

Most of them don't really measure superheat, subcooling, return air temperature, temperature of the air at the vents etc... not use the charts provided with the unit. I.e. they don't seem to do detailed measurements.

thanks.
None of that is really applicable in this case.

It's generally pretty obvious when the unit is running low on refrigerant.

The coil leaking is a normal failure point.

The tech can pump the refrigerant into the compressor and replace the coil to save money.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Must be something in the air - just had 3lbs of R410a pumped into my 6.5 year old Rheem A/C unit. Technician couldn't find a leak just one possibly loose fitting. The coil looked to be in good condition (no corrosion). I hope it was in fact just a fitting! Guess I will find out in the coming months. <fingers crossed>

When I lived in Apex I had to replace an 8 year old A/C unit due to a bad coil. In that case it was definitely crummy builder (Pulte) grade equipment. Wasn't the only thing to go wrong in that house either!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:55 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Nothing beats HVAC problems when it is dead of winter or mid-summer and all the good guys are swamped with emergency calls!

This is why I like dual zone, with two pieces of equipment. You can stay somewhat habitable.
When the new single unit, dampered zoning goes down, you are really stuck.
Yes, agree....our first floor is habitable and one of the kids slept down there last night.

The master BR has a ceiling fan whose RPM rivals a jet engine so it wasn't too unpleasant last night with all that wind on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary