Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,100 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Happy 4th of July!

I have been thinking about moving to Morrisville, NC on rent in couple of months. I have been to Cary and Morrisville a few times. The reason for my move is the same as most people. Cheaper overall compared to North NJ and in North NJ I can only find houses built in 70s or 80s for around 300-400k with tons of property tax. At least, in Morrisville/Cary I can buy a brand new townhome for 250-300k and pay it off quick.

Any people out there who have left family and friends behinds to move to NC? How was your experience?

Also some other questions below:

School system in Morrisville (pre-school)?
Things to do on weekends?
Are there malls?
Is Harris Teeter like shop rite?
Hospitals?
Racism in NC? I've heard it is on the rise but may be rumors as I haven't witnessed it myself when I was there.
Good pizza spots?
Will I really save money there compared to here? Gas, food, car insurance? etc
Will RTP turn into a Technology hub in the future? How is it progressing?

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 07-04-2017 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,937 times
Not everything is cheaper here. Property tax is the big difference.

Terrible building codes result in junk construction. Many new homes and apts have 5 good years before starting to bleed maintenance.

Influx from North is raising taxes because of unmet infrastructure needs.

Schools not bad but hurting from overcrowding and disrespect to teachers.

Almost no rail transit.

Very ugly and bigoted legislature.

Don't run here to escape NJ. Come and visit then decide.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Not everything is cheaper here. Property tax is the big difference.

Terrible building codes result in junk construction. Many new homes and apts have 5 good years before starting to bleed maintenance.

Influx from North is raising taxes because of unmet infrastructure needs.

Schools not bad but hurting from overcrowding and disrespect to teachers.

Almost no rail transit.

Very ugly and bigoted legislature.

Don't run here to escape NJ. Come and visit then decide.
First thing to learn about NC is to never listen to this guy.

Start with the pinned post at the top of the forum - lots of info for potential transplants.

Will add more later...

Old 07-04-2017, 06:49 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
First thing to learn about NC is to never listen to this guy.

Start with the pinned post at the top of the forum - lots of info for potential transplants.

Will add more later...
What was not true in his response ?

Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Yeah, if you sink low enough with selective vision and enough pessimism, you can be accurate in grimness.

It really is more of a "Glass Half-full" vs. "Glass Half-empty" or "Glass Smashed-to-splinters-on-the-floor" attitude toward life in the Triangle that needs to be recognized.

When you get down to the nitty-gritty of self-defeating grimness:

We all gonna die. Why even try?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-04-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I'm not sure because I take my own advice and don't listen to him

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 AM

63 posts, read 60,643 times
We moved here from NJ in 2005. When coming down here we were told " you will love it and " and we do. The cost of living is much lower due primarily due to lower property taxes, no tolls, and lower car insurance rates. You will find the same amenities you had in NJ here. Very convenient shopping, there are numerous mall in the triangle area, and the healthcare is equally great with Duke University Medical Center, UNC Hospital, Rex Hospital, and WakeMed. On that note, the universities in the area are also excellent. In state universities are excellent also. UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State are right here and very affordable and excellent universities.

As far as politics and corruption goes, coming from NJ you have nowhere to go but up.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbst09 View Post
As far as politics and corruption goes, coming from NJ you have nowhere to go but up.
Plus unlike there you can use the beaches here......

And though CB is not actually wrong except the 'north' part, listen to m378 and MJ.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
One of the tough things about leaving family and friends up there is that then you use your vacation days in NJ...which is fine sometimes, but not every time, and it's been my experience that people don't understand why you simply cannot attend every family event. No amount of "don't listen to google, the drive is 11 hours" matters. (hope you have a different experience). Anyway, think carefully about that.

For tech - I don't know that it'll be centered in RTP, but Red Hat is doing very well in DT Raleigh, and downtown Durham is very tech startup trendy.

The property tax relief is a big draw.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,203 times
Current New Yorker, aiming to be in Raleigh in about a month.

The financial aspect is a big draw, for sure. But I feel that, to be happy in the long term, you need more than affordability to draw you to move. That will only last a little while until you get used to it.

We visited multiple times over a couple of years, and I still don't think it's enough time to 100% say that it's the right move. So we are renting first, which I also highly recommend. Try before you buy. Experience all the seasons, all that the area has to offer. Find more reasons than money to stay.

I think Cary and Morrisville tend to be pricier than other areas. At least when looking at the "price per square foot" on Realtor.com, that seemed to be the trend. There's a wealth of information on towns and areas on this forum, you'll probably find the answer to any question you had with a quick search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary