Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Leesville Grove *should* sell out within 30 days of opening up. They've got 500 people on a "VIP List" for ~40 lots. They just don't have anything they're able to write contracts on yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

569 posts, read 440,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Leesville Grove *should* sell out within 30 days of opening up. They've got 500 people on a "VIP List" for ~40 lots. They just don't have anything they're able to write contracts on yet.
Wow! I knew the demand was high around here but that is crazy! It's a great location with minutes to Brier Creek so maybe that is the draw.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:36 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Pritchett Farm is really in Cary. That's a pretty convenient area, though, and you're not really going to have to wait for it to build up....it's close to Crossroads which is probably one of the most congested areas in Cary. I advise you ask questions about who ultimately is going to be responsible for services there. There are people who've moved here and had problems with mail delivery because the house is one area but mail delivery in another, for instance. Cary seems to creep out and take over everything. My point is - the address may currently say "Raleigh" but it's in no way shape or form city-ish there, and I wouldn't necessarily consider it up and coming since that area is fairly well settled already.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM

104 posts, read 172,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pritchett Farm is really in Cary.

Could you please explain this? I'm totally confused. Is this common in North Carolina?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broknrekord3 View Post
Could you please explain this? I'm totally confused. Is this common in North Carolina?
It's common for the post office to deliver mail across municipal government boundaries.
So, Raleigh post office delivers in Pritchett Farm, even though it is in Cary.
So, it's a Raleigh address, since addresses are mailing addresses.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It's common for the post office to deliver mail across municipal government boundaries.
also, if you can find a map that show municipal boundaries, you'd be amazed at what city/town is where down there. You've got Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and maybe even some Holly Springs or Fuquay. Garner was a little slow on the take, or they'd have boundaries west of Lake Wheeler too.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
And then you've got all the "we don't really live anywhere" places like our neighborhood just south of Lake Wheeler. Apex mailing address, but not actually in Apex. It's very difficult to tell as you pass from Cary, to Raleigh, to Apex to Holly Springs in this area, and you won't know if you are actually in any of those city's proper without looking it up. The North side of the lake would have a Raleigh mailing address, but not actually be in Raleigh.

I really like this area, but it's not for everyone. Some of our West Cary friends, think we live way out in the boondocks. Talk to someone from Chapel Hill and they may think we kill our food daily out here (albeit there are 3 deer in the backyard currently) :-) We are 12 minutes to Crossroads, 10 minutes or less to the new Publix. I can make this side of RTP going around the bottom on 540 in about 40 minutes, or 35+/- minutes via 40 depending upon traffic. That should improve if 540 ever gets finished.

On my commute to the Crossroads area, I pass three horse farms, a number of older subdivisions, a couple of newer ones, a few old trailers, etc. It's not like West Cary, where it's new subdivision after subdivision for miles.

Last edited by wake74; 07-21-2017 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 07:19 PM

104 posts, read 172,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is there any benefit to this? Living in one and getting mail from another? Additionally, does this have any impact on things like zoning and development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
also, if you can find a map that show municipal boundaries, you'd be amazed at what city/town is where down there. You've got Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and maybe even some Holly Springs or Fuquay. Garner was a little slow on the take, or they'd have boundaries west of Lake Wheeler too.
Well that's fun. The second area to scout out for us in the region was going to be the Lake Wheeler area; it seems really nice, albeit maybe a little too rural for the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
And then you've got all the "we don't really live anywhere" places like our neighborhood just south of Lake Wheeler. Apex mailing address, but not actually in Apex. It's very difficult to tell as you pass from Cary, to Raleigh, to Apex to Holly Springs in this area, and you won't know if you are actually in any of those city's proper without looking it up. The North side of the lake would have a Raleigh mailing address, but not actually be in Raleigh.

I really like this area, but it's not for everyone. Some of our West Cary friends, think we live way out in the boondocks. Talk to someone from Chapel Hill and they may think we kill our food daily out here (albeit there are 3 deer in the backyard currently) :-) Our neighborhood only has about 40 houses all on about 3/4-1 acre lots, mostly built from 2005 to 2013 or so. We are 12 minutes to Crossroads, 10 minutes or less to the new Publix. I can make this side of RTP going around the bottom on 540 in about 40 minutes, or 35+/- minutes via 40 depending upon traffic. That should improve if 540 ever gets finished.

On my commute to the Crossroads area, I pass three horse farms, a number of older subdivisions, a couple of newer ones, a few old trailers, etc. It's not like West Cary, where it's new subdivision after subdivision for miles.
Is there any expectation that 540 would cause this area to significantly change?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 PM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Quote:
Is there any benefit to this? Living in one and getting mail from another? Additionally, does this have any impact on things like zoning and development?

Well that's fun. The second area to scout out for us in the region was going to be the Lake Wheeler area; it seems really nice, albeit maybe a little too rural for the wife.

Is there any expectation that 540 would cause this area to significantly change?

Your mailing address location is irrelevant to all things other than getting your mail. Your tax location would drive zoning, development, taxes etc. Then there are things like watershed districts which cross city boundaries that are critical to understand if you are going to buy in the Swift Creek watershed.

For instance, my house has an Apex address but we don't pay Apex taxes. We pay county taxes only (keep in mind schools are county based). This means we get no city services, but don't pay city taxes. We are on private septic with a community well, pay for trash pick-up, etc.

We haven't lived here long enough to have a strong opinion on 540. It will certainly shorten the commute to RTP from this side of town, which may help property values. I just don't see it becoming as "trendy" as some other areas any time soon (if ever).

Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:

It is a nonissue, really.

The USPS just doesn't adjust routes when a new neighborhood is developed, no matter which town it is in.
Definitely, the governing body is Cary, and the mail is just handled through the Raleigh USPS station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary