Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 32,519 times

Advertisements

We just came back from NC this past weekend. We did a marathan house hunting trip Sun and Mon, made an offer Tuesday at 4 and it was accepted by 5pm! Yipeeeee! Thanks to everyone up here for giving us recommendations on agents, neighborhoods, schools, etc. It really helped us narrow things down so it went a lot smoother than we anticipated.
We visited a few neighborhoods so I will post my opinion on those for anyone who may still be looking.
We settled on a house in the Cleveland area of Clayton but we also went to Garner and the east side of Clayton close to 70. I would definately recommend going to a number of places just so you can get a feel for what you like. We are moving from Northern VA but are originally from NC. Although we've only been gone a few years it can seem like a culture shock if you aren't used to the peace and quite and of course livestock.
Our first stop was Winston Pointe. We only looked at one house in that area but overall it seemed like a nice neighborhood. The entrance we came in through actually takes you past some older homes that don't appear to be part of that s/d. Our agent did note that another entrance was in the works so not to worry about that. The house we looked at bordered a creek but the layout was so that we weren't worried about flooding or any of that. The house was just too small for us but someone must have liked it as the onsite agent noted that the same plan down the street had just sold the day before.
We also looked in Adam's Point. Before we went I had heard and read a lot of mixed opinions about it. Everything isn't for everyone so we figured we would check it out for ourselves. We were not at all impressed by the limited parking and narrow streets in the cul de sacs. It just made the entire area look packed in. Also we were turned off by the lots. They claim to be .5 acres but we often saw half of the lot fulled with underbrush and trees. You weren't able to take advantage of all the land. The outsides had nice details with brick, etc but the insides were very plain. No upgrades, no color, no life. There were a number of kids out playing which was a good sign.
We went to both Hunter's Mill and Knolls at the Neuse since we had heard good things about the builder Greg Johnson. We love the things that seemed to come standard in his homes like the ceramic tile flooring, granite countertops, crown molding, and hardwood flooring. We like the layout of the HM s/d since most lots were .3 acres and not too many seemed to share a backyard so you had privacy. Knolls was also good but we were turned off by how far away it seemed from everything. For some people that may be a plus. We didn't see kids out but we also went Monday during the day so hopefully they were in school .
Glen Laurel was our top pick as you could tell the residents care about the s/d. Lots were all well taken care of, very peaceful, friendly. We went in a couple of homes that were 10+ years but you would never have known it because they were so well maintained. We also noted that you didn't pay for amenties that you don't use such as the golf course. Our agent told us that pretty much the same builders who started building in that area from the beginning are still there which is a good sign.
Plantation Pointe was also nice in both newer and older homes. We didn't like some of the floorplans but overall as a s/d it was tolerable. Our agent did note that some of the covenants can seem a bit strict but that could be because they want to keep their neighborhood in condition.
Overall, the s/d's that we visited had one thing in common-they were not cookie cutter! Glen Laurel had plenty of mature trees and Winston and Plantation Point seemed to be building around the landscaping so as to keep some of the trees there. Most of the lots in Hunter's Mill were clear but it looks like the area around the pond and a few other places will still have trees. Plus it looked like most if not all of the houses had some short of shrubbery outfront which helped. Knolls was probably the clearest that we saw as it looked like the only lots that would continue to have trees would be the border houses that didn't share a backyard.
Anyway that was just our opinion of what we saw. I'd be happy to share my thoughts with anyone else who is considering making the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM

38 posts, read 132,372 times
We are going house hunting tomorrow! Can't wait. We are going to look at homes on the east side of Clayton first and then try the west side. When you say Glen Laurel, are you referring to the street? I noticed there are quite a few houses for sale on Black Forest Drive? Any thoughts about that street/area?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 AM

269 posts, read 944,495 times
So which subdivision did you end up with... just curious after your post.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM

41 posts, read 194,723 times
Glen Laurel is a subdivision off of Hwy 42 east and Glen Laurel Road. It is a golf course community, which also has parks, a swimming pool and tennis courts.

Homes are listed anywhere from the $250s to the $600s...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2NCWeGo View Post
I would definately recommend going to a number of places just so you can get a feel for what you like. We are moving from Northern VA but are originally from NC. Although we've only been gone a few years it can seem like a culture shock if you aren't used to the peace and quite and of course livestock.
Welcome back!!! We too made the trip back to NC from Portland, Oregon this past summer. I totally get what you mean about the culture shock of getting use to peace and quite & the livestock. I found the quiet to addicting. In Portland, I loved living in an urban neighborhood with a bus stop 1 block from my house. I still love Portland, but I don't know if I could handle the noise any more. And now every day I drive by Belted Galloway Cows!!! LOVE that!

Another culture shock for us is that people are so dang friendly here!!! I grew up with Southern manners but got use to the "relaxed" demeanor of the West Coast. I had to call my West Coast bank this week and got so mad that the guy was not polite. He wasn't rude.... he just wasn't polite like all these good Southerns!!

Welcome back and have fun settling into a new home!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
So which subdivision did you end up with... just curious after your post.
Ditto and congratulations!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Welcome back!!! We too made the trip back to NC from Portland, Oregon this past summer. I totally get what you mean about the culture shock of getting use to peace and quite & the livestock. I found the quiet to addicting. In Portland, I loved living in an urban neighborhood with a bus stop 1 block from my house. I still love Portland, but I don't know if I could handle the noise any more. And now every day I drive by Belted Galloway Cows!!! LOVE that!

Another culture shock for us is that people are so dang friendly here!!! I grew up with Southern manners but got use to the "relaxed" demeanor of the West Coast. I had to call my West Coast bank this week and got so mad that the guy was not polite. He wasn't rude.... he just wasn't polite like all these good Southerns!!

Welcome back and have fun settling into a new home!
Now that's funny. My Oregonian native husband insists that people here in MA are just RUDE and not at all friendly like the people "back home" in Oregon. Hopefully he'll find NCers even more friendly.

FWIW, I lived in Portland for 4 years and always felt like an outsider. No one was ever rude but I just couldn't answer the "what high school did you attend" question so I was politely pushed to the side.

I didn't feel that way in Seattle.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

473 posts, read 1,737,481 times
Congrats!!! And welcome to NC.. in advance.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFLtoNC View Post
We are going house hunting tomorrow! Can't wait. We are going to look at homes on the east side of Clayton first and then try the west side. When you say Glen Laurel, are you referring to the street? I noticed there are quite a few houses for sale on Black Forest Drive? Any thoughts about that street/area?
We went to Glen Laurel the s/d. Our agent told us it was nothing for 50-60 houses in that s/d to be on the market at any time but that's because there are so many houses to start with-upwards of 600. We found the neighborhood to be great-very quiet, optional amenities, etc. You should check it out for yourself. Happy House Hunting!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Ditto and congratulations!
Thanks! We ended up buying in Hunter's Mill. Loved the location, good schools, and of course the house itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary